HELP NEEDED DRYING OUT REFLOATED BOAT

Terryb

Featured Posts

When our house got flooded in 2007, as well as dehumidifiers, the insurance company supplied some great big fans. IIRC the theory is that the blown air picks the moisture out from the floor and walls so the dehumidifier can deal with it.

Can't help with either, but might be worth you getting hold of a fan to help speed up the drying process too.

Good Luck

Rob

Hi Mike, it's not my boat you understand. I have the strong inclination that she has access to domestic power, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm gonna pop down now to find out if it's floating yet. I'm sure it will be, as prep was well in hand yesterday.

Problem I have is I move out on to the boat on Thursday, so time is of the essence for me. Watch this space.

A good Dehumidifier will take water out of a cracker. Im not sure of your expierience Bee, but trust me they will dry out a boat in a week.

I would have thought it might make an enormous difference what insulation the boat has.

If it were Rockwool, and it is all soaking wet between shell and cabin lining, I can't imagine anything drying it out in that time.

At the other extreme, if it were sprayfoamed, I think chances of getting enough water out before linings become unusable would be far, far higher..

Polystyrene would lie somewhere between the two.

If chipboard floors, bulkheads or furniture was involved they may, I would have thought, already gone beyond saving.

This isn;t meant to be negative - just trying to add some realism, as often after a total sinking a large refit is required.

On a positive note, it wasn't under long, which must help.

I'm intrigued how it was raised - it didn't look an easy case.

How did that dolly stud get wrenched off?

Looks like the fuel tank filler pipe.

If using dehumidifier to dry out, make sure the bilges are completely dry, or as near so as possible, otherwise the dehumidifier will be doing extra work drying them out.

Tim

I can see this developing into a debate about which will dry out a boat quicker. Big fans forcing massive ventilation or dehumidifiers working in a sealed off space.

I have the same debate with builders from time to time when dealing with a water damaged house. A very competent builder friend of mine likes to shut them up tight with three massive dehumidifers. I think loads of forced ventilation would be faster especially in warm weather.

The trouble is, both methods work and there is never time to conduct a controlled experiment trying out both methods on the same building.

MtB

Never dried out a sunk boat but I have dried out a boat with gravel ballast that had the contents of the water tank dumped into the bilges to an inch above floor level. We used a pump to empty out as much water as possible, mopped up what we couldn't pump and shut the boat up with 2 dehumidifiers and a large fan inside to dry out the gravel.

We got the gear from Speedy Hire, as it was at the time I had a mate working there so they were free until someone else wanted them. Took over a week but it worked.

You can hire commercial dehumidifiers from most decent hire shops, I have a commercial air blower that you could borrow but would need picking up from Essex, pm me if needed.

Neil.

Thanks Neil. I will pass that on. Obviously it's not my boat, just trying to help in the 3 days I have left before I move onto " Alfie"

A big hoorah to the people who got the boat refloated so swiftly.

How did that dolly stud get wrenched off?

Hi Athy, I didn't see but it seems like a decision was made to drag the boat in before pump out started. Obviosly

"she couldn't take anymore captain" (RIP Spock)

They ended up pulling it via an anchor in the water tank

Thanks Sabcat.

Hi Athy, I didn't see but it seems like a decision was made to drag the boat in before pump out started. Obviosly

"she couldn't take anymore captain" (RIP Spock)

They ended up pulling it via an anchor in the water tank

I can't immediately see how they could have raised it from where it was by pumps alone - unless I'm missing something, it was far too far under.

Sounds like they dragged it to somewhere shallow enough that they could then use pumps?

Gas won't help. When hydrocarbons are burned water is produced. You'll end up with higher humidity than you started with.

thanks for the information - i never knew that - perhaps it is just the heat produced that dries then as long as its well ventilated - we have dried buildings out with gas burners but always have the doors and windows wide open.

If you go for a commercial dehumidifier, made certain that it will fit through the doorway. I nearly got caught this way a couple of years ago. Was only when I saw the size of an industrial strength one that I realised!

Some will say no but have seen a boat dried out with a space heater [propane] in at bow doors and aft doors and all windows open.

However must never be left unattended and watched religiously.

Ran for a few hours until steam subsided then over to fan only.

Then boxed up and de-humid ran.

Took a week even then.

Problem is that with weather as it is condensation will set in as soon as heat drops.

Maybe get the solid fuel heating up & Running.

As important get engine/gearbox de-watered, oiled up, and turned over so that bores are coated so as to stop rusting.

A good Dehumidifier will take water out of a cracker. Im not sure of your expierience Bee, but trust me they will dry out a boat in a week.

That's a bold statement. It all depends on the size of the boat, the capacity of the dehumidifier. and the amount of water involved. And a few other things.

No domestic dehumdifier would dry out my boat in a week.

• 3 weeks later...