Setting of early in the day

weeble

Featured Posts

Following is an extract from the latest CART Boaters Bulletin under the section:

Expert advice on etiquette

‘Setting off early in the day’

'There has been some discussion lately in the waterways press about boaters who set off early in the morning, and wake up their neighbours on a visitor mooring. Given that there isn’t a gale blowing, the solution is to get your boat ready for departure - side fenders lifted, if you use them, tiller on, slide open, engine checked and ready to start. Then untie your boat and push it out towards the middle of the cut. Then start the engine, and move away on tickover. That way, you cause the least possible disturbance to those around you. And it should go without saying that when you are passing moored craft, you do so on tickover.’

I'm not a "CART basher" but I think the advice to push off from the bank before starting your engine bad advice not goood!

Do not be mislead into thinking that the C.& R.T. people coming up with these ideas have any knowledge or understanding of boats and boating.

I usually leave the engine running for a few minutes prior to setting off to ensure full oil circulation and oil warming before putting the engine under load. This is sometimes only as long as it takes to loose off the lines but I believe it to be quite important.

captain.gif

edit - I would hate to loose off and then find I had a flat battery or an air lock in the fuel system, especially as I would be loosing off two boats - a motor and a butty.

Edited by pete harrison

But isn't that exactly what working boaters did to avoid alerting others they were setting off, so they got to the next lock first?

At least CRT are confirming the right to set off early. There's been a few letters in WW lately suggesting boating before 8.00 am should be banned.

Written by non-boaters.

The more I read from C&RT the more I despair.

Would you have a claim against C&RT if you did this on the River and were swept into another boat ?

As a side issue, my Lister manual says to warm the engine up at 1100rpm for 3-5 minutes before putting it under load.

Lots of 2-pot old thumpers can't move off straight away if their batteries are low! Well not quickly anyway.

But isn't that exactly what working boaters did to avoid alerting others they were setting off, so they got to the next lock first?

At least CRT are confirming the right to set off early. There's been a few letters in WW lately suggesting boating before 8.00 am should be banned.

Obviously written by people who have never been on tidal waters!

Well I believe that particular bit wasn't written by CRT, but by an Experienced Boater. Clearly one who likes a lie-in!

On a canal, if you cast off and then find the engine won't start, so what? What is the worst that could happen? Do try not to be drama queens chaps! Rivers are different of course.

Not that I think that tactic is necessary, especially on a boat like ours where the engine is very quiet. Or even if it isn't, provided you don't leave it running for a long period before setting off.

Following is an extract from the latest CART Boaters Bulletin under the section:

Expert advice on etiquette

I'm not a "CART basher" but I think the advice to push off from the bank before starting your engine bad advice not goood!

i shall try this next time i am on a river. NOT!!!

You're WEIRD!laugh.png

Why not wait for a few days until it's after breakfast?

Because a few days eats into a weeks holiday no end.

An early start every now and then is a small price to pay in return for visiting some of the lovely places we are lucky enough to see.

Some fantastic sunrises and still waters early in the morning, in Summer I regularly set off at 5 when moving boats.

It's a completely ludicrous suggestion that doesn't warrant suggesting.

Perhaps we should get big stickers issued with the licences telling other boaters what time we get up in the morning so you can moor near like minded people.

Because a few days eats into a weeks holiday no end.

An early start every now and then is a small price to pay in return for visiting some of the lovely places we are lucky enough to see.

Can't argue there. Did a bit of tide-hopping myself in previous boats. Still never liked getting up early though!

Not narrow boating, but when I was offshore sail training it was drummed into me that when using the yacht's engine, either departing or arriving, the engine was always started and checked that the cooling water was coming out of the exhaust and it went in gear before the boat was cast off and never stopped until the yacht was safely moored. *

I carry on the same practice with our boat.

If it is a windy day you need to engine to avoid finishing up, perhaps on the opposite bank.

Yotties leaving at all hours of the day and night, to catch tides is the norm. I have boated several time at night and it a wonderful experience.

* Better add that it was stopped at sea only when the boat was fully under sail.

Edited by Ray T

My brother and I are both fond of a bit of a lie-in, so on the various weekends I've spent on his boat I've often been woken up by the sound of the odd boat chugging past at some ungodly hour like 8am. That's fine, navigation is what canals are for, and it's a lot more pleasant sounding than my alarm clock.

If people want to move their boats early in the morning, or even all night, all I would expect is that they do their best to keep noise to the minimum necessary, running the engine just long enough at the mooring to be sure it's good and ready then moving off at a gentle pace.

I try to be as quiet as possible if I'm setting off early or if it's still dark, as is often the case if the trip involves a tidal stretch, but I wouldn't untie and push my boat out without starting the engine first even on a canal. Pushing a 32 tonne boat back to the bank with a pole isn't what I want to be doing at 5am.

My engine is fairly quiet but I'd at least leave my centre rope tied while I start the engine. Yes I moor with a bow, stern and a loose centre rope - wanna fight about it? tongue.png

Surely the engine starting is the alarm call for the crew to rise from their slumber pit????

What crew?