Bridge 84 - GU Milton Keynes

Cleyley Bob

Featured Posts

This one's been on the CRT Stoppages list for ages - in fact for so long that it might have got forgotten.

Just had a phone call from someone who got through going south on Monday - but found the naviagation closed on their return trip back up north today.

Bankside workers now say that the navigation is closed unitl 18.00 hrs on 13th March - so one boat not able to get back to home base.

Link to CRT's web-site

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/831/bridge-84-milton-keynes-grand-union-canal

The workmen have generally been leaving the navigation open at weekends and occasionally overnight (see previous stoppage thread) so quite a few boats have slipped through.

I'll take a wander up there for a look later this afternoon when they should have stopped work, and report back.

Yes it's definitely closed at the moment, with orange plastic "fencing" stretched across the canal and tied off at both sides.

At least if people run short of coal or gas while waiting, I see that "Southern Cross" and its butty are amongst the boats waiting.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we are very much hoping this stoppage ends tomorrow, Friday, as planned.

Hopefully we will start moving a boat North today.

Does anyone have any current indication of status, please?

Any likelihood it will overrun?

I would check before you move. There is a substantial queue from fenny to the bridge, and you might struggle to find a mooring for the night.

The guys working on it said on Monday that they were not sure if it would overrun, but generally felt it would.

However, they were hoping to open it asking for caution when going through.

I spoke to them just now, they are still saying that "HOPEFULLY" it will be open after the end of tomorrow afternoon, although clearly the work will not be finished.

I forgot to take the camera with me - but there are two big pits down to the foundations on the offside, with just a small and very leaky bit of concrete between them and the canal.

There are about 10 boats each side of the bridge, but I'm not sure how many of them are waiting to go through - some of them are facing in the wrong direction and many of the ones north of the bridge have been there all winter anyway.

I would check before you move. There is a substantial queue from fenny to the bridge, and you might struggle to find a mooring for the night.

The guys working on it said on Monday that they were not sure if it would overrun, but generally felt it would.

However, they were hoping to open it asking for caution when going through.

Not true - there is loads of room. Its about 3 miles from Fenny to Bridge 84, and unless hundreds of boats turned up last night (we were down there yesterday) there is ample room.

There are, as Keeping Up says, about ten boats either side in the queue.

A friend has a w,beam and has received notice of restriction for w,beams at bridge87.

Just in case there are any of you w,beams in the queue.

I think that may be the biffa bin. Am going to go up in the morning and try to drag it out.

A friend has a w,beam and has received notice of restriction for w,beams at bridge87.

Just in case there are any of you w,beams in the queue.

I can't find any reference to this in the CRT stoppages system, so are CRT actually aware?

On the CRT stoppages system, there is the following reference to this bridge dated 30th October 2014.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/1858/grand-union-canal-bridge-87-milton-keynes

This states that the towpath is closed though the navigation will remain open - as the bridge arch has failed.

Hummm - bricks falling on boaters don't matter then? frusty.gif

The notice mentioned repairs would be done and completed between January and March 2015 - in conjunction with the planned works at Bridge 84.

Perhaps with the closed towpath under the bridge, maybe the width of the naviagation might now be restricted for widebeams - or perhaps work is now taking place and scaffolding erected?

I'm amazed they haven't issued a similar notice for bridge 82 - the old original Great Linford to Little Woolstone lane.

This has some alarming cracks - and the whole structure is badly cracked - and has been patched and re-pointed many times.

This bridge was used by vehicles until the 1970 - when MKDC closed the road and it became part of the Milton Keynes redway system.

Edited by Cleyley Bob

I can't find any reference to this in the CRT stoppages system, so are CRT actually aware?

All I can tell you is he showed me on his phone the diagram sent.

It showed different air drafts for different width w/ beams.

Best look into it if you are w/ beam.

Bridge 87

Edited by valrene9600

At bridge 84 they've still not filled in the excavations to the foundations to the offside, I hope nobody hits them too hard on their way through. They're still leaking well too, and filling up with water. But as reported above, it is fully open to navigation.

Edited to add photos (sorry for the poorer quality than the others, taken on my ancient phone

The bridge is open

16618441689_75943d1e65.jpg

The nearside excavations have been filled in OK (the blue rods in the foreground are tie rods down into the foundations)

16597281517_938bb24ebb.jpg

The excavations on the offside remain to be filled in next week

16618441219_1ff7298322.jpg

I reckon about half a dozen boats have moved, so far.

Edited by Keeping Up

Several boats floating around having had pins pulled. Whilst we were putting pins back in on one boat, an idiot decided to go past at a rate of knots rather than wait. Consequently hit the work barge, bounced off and hit the bridge. We then had to catch the workboat, as it then came loose. Some right flippin idiots around. Well known boater and boat as well. (not fincher).

Bridge 87 is the towpath closed. The way they have sited the railings could make it difficult for some widebeams. We got through ok at 10ft wide.

The particularly box shaped wide beam (square on every corner) was adrift at one end blocking the cut as we approached the Plough at Simpson.

Whilst deliberating if we were going to be able to stop and tie it up, the owner appeared.

Would agree there are one or two idiots about on this stretch today, although the way quite a few of the boats are (not really!) tied up properly doesn't really help things either.

Good luck with the wide beams at the bridge hole where another wide beam is moored nearly in it, blocking at least 30% of the width to go through!