Heritage Range Cooker

chris_r

Featured Posts

Does anyone have, or know someone who has, a Heritage Range cooker installed on their boat ??

I am seriously considering a Uno model (or maybe the Compact Duette) as part of a major refit and I would really like to see one in operation and talk about the practicalities of using one without having to wander down to Cornwall.

Happy to travel an hour distance from Milton Keynes or Birmingham areas

Any help or advice gratefully received laugh.png

We don't have one yet, but we are definitely putting one into our new build.

We live near them and have spent some time talking to their engineers; as a result they advised against the Uno unless you really only have room for it and not the Compact. The Compact is much more versatile and also much better value for money than the Uno.

Good guys, who certainly know their stuff, and are interested enough to talk sensibly - for example we wanted to know whether you could have one Heritage range providing heat for radiators on two boats (butty) and they said - "yes - we actually have someone who has done that and we went right through and worked out the valves and pumps for him..."

Hi Chris

Welcome to look at ours but could be a month or two before we are back on the boat. Currently at Overwater on the Shroppie.

We have a compact.

Positives

No gas

Heating/Cooking/Hot Water all done by the Heritage

Leave the boat in winter on 'Off' where the heritage kicks in at 5degreesC so no need to winterise.

Runs off Diesel so can claim 100% with no quibbles - we have a separate tank for the Heritage.

Had no operational problems whatsoever in 5 years

Gives off loads of residual heat in Winter to warm the boat.

Focal point of boat/looks good.

Wow factor when selling the boat.

Negatives

The bigger compact is too hot in summer when cooking - Uno would be better then but see above for winter.

Can be slow to warm up for cooking unlike gas.

Also hot plates stay hot but with management use that efficiently ie put kettle on.

Very heavy and boat will need reballasting on other side.

May need another chimney hole.

Hope that helps

Cheers Dave

We have a Compact Duette on our recently purchased boat. Currently moored at Southall but moving to Winkwell Dock in April. You're welcome to come and have a look.

Hi Chris

Welcome to look at ours but could be a month or two before we are back on the boat. Currently at Overwater on the Shroppie.

We have a compact.

Positives

No gas

Heating/Cooking/Hot Water all done by the Heritage

Leave the boat in winter on 'Off' where the heritage kicks in at 5degreesC so no need to winterise.

Runs off Diesel so can claim 100% with no quibbles - we have a separate tank for the Heritage.

Had no operational problems whatsoever in 5 years

Gives off loads of residual heat in Winter to warm the boat.

Focal point of boat/looks good.

Wow factor when selling the boat.

Negatives

The bigger compact is too hot in summer when cooking - Uno would be better then but see above for winter.

Can be slow to warm up for cooking unlike gas.

Also hot plates stay hot but with management use that efficiently ie put kettle on.

Very heavy and boat will need reballasting on other side.

May need another chimney hole.

Hope that helps

Cheers Dave

Dave - I assume you have a programmer for it kick in at 5c? we're thinking about adding one but keep thinking 'do we really need it'?

I have the Model on my boat, I love it and have had no issues in the five years I've owned it. Economical and provides all the cooking, hot water and heating you will need. I do also have a morso stove but mainly for those very cold days when it's nice to sit by the fire. Heritage are also a pleasure to deal with for servicing etc.

Should also add that mine is programable for when it's not needed all the time, lovely to come home to a warm boat after work and have the oven ready to cook dinner

Hi Marcinaboat

Yes I should have mentioned that we have a honeywell domestic thermostat. This connects wirelessly to its 'mother' which turns on the waterpump at the programmed temperature. At the 5degree program the heritage kicks in . It keeps the boat warm but we do have 4 radiators on board!

Regards Dave

Hi Marcinaboat

Yes I should have mentioned that we have a honeywell domestic thermostat. This connects wirelessly to its 'mother' which turns on the waterpump at the programmed temperature. At the 5degree program the heritage kicks in . It keeps the boat warm but we do have 4 radiators on board!

Regards Dave

Dave - do you have a programmer, like you would in bricks n mortar for programming when HW or HTG or both come on? The Duette has a connector for this. We have a Honeywell room thermostat (hard-wired, not wifi) but we would have to have the heating side of the oven left on as it own't fiire up without a programmer to switch it on. Cheers Mark

Just in the process of purchasing a Compact Duette 40 from Heritage and interested in how much residual heat is given out when being used. Whether that be just for heating or cooking or both. What I'm trying now to establish is where to put my radiators and how many I'll need. Do I need one in the kitchen for instance. it's a 70ft boat. Going to try and attach a rough plan of it to give an idea.

Hi Marcinaboat

Regards Dave

You have 4 radiators hargreaves but how big are they, how big is your boat and where did you put them? Any help much appreciated.

P

And are these cookers compliant with the requirements of the Recreational Craft Directive (RCD) in that they are certified for marine use and carry the appropriate EC marking?

Well our NT was built with it installed and the RCD manual provided by RW Davis has it included so I assume it must be. It's an upto date boiler system with twin high pressure jet burners, room sealed etc.

Hi Chris i will be having a duette installed on our boat when its built There is a company near Rugby that is an agent for heritage and when i spoke to them they told me they have a showroom with a heritage stove in it so you may not have to do the Cornwall run I did make the trip to Cornwall and were very inpressed with the people and thier range cooker, They were so helpfull and spent several hours explaining the cooker and answering our questions.

regards Carl

And are these cookers compliant with the requirements of the Recreational Craft Directive (RCD) in that they are certified for marine use and carry the appropriate EC marking?

Does the RCD require that all (or certain types of) equipment (on a new boat) must be specifically certified for marine use, or just that it may not be fitted if the manufacturer specifically states that it is not suitable for marine use?

Sorry I dont read the forum too often.

Our heritage isnt programmed but the wireless honeywell is. You just set the gismo to what temp you want and when and the heritage kicks in.

We have 4 radiators on a 59 ft boat. 2 3 ft thin ones in the bedroom cause my wife says I dont keep her warm!!

One in the snug/living room which is 3ft double radiator old fashioned school one to keep the cat warm. And one in the diningroom/kitchen same size.

Also we have a towel rail in the bathroom.

Yes it can be warm but you can always turn it down

Cheers Dave

When i went to the Heritage factory,i was told that although the cookers will run on diesel they are really designed to run on Keresen [28 sec oil]..

I was wondering which fuel the guys who already have a heritage use?

BR Carl

The burner(s) can be jetted to run on diesel. On our single burner compact that's a pretty small jet, and could be temperamental to fire until we fitted a Danfoss jet. Now totally dependable.

We're at Saul Junction, G&S Canal BTW, visitors welcome!

When i went to the Heritage factory,i was told that although the cookers will run on diesel they are really designed to run on Keresen [28 sec oil]..

I was wondering which fuel the guys who already have a heritage use?

BR Carl

Diesel, never had any issues, he says touching wood.

The burner(s) can be jetted to run on diesel. On our single burner compact that's a pretty small jet, and could be temperamental to fire until we fitted a Danfoss jet. Now totally dependable.

We're at Saul Junction, G&S Canal BTW, visitors welcome!

How do I know which Danfoss jet to use

• 3 months later...

Have now been living aboard since end of April (at Harefield) and the top of the Heritage compact duette (not the hob covers) gets so hot, you can barely touch it. It stays that way for more than an hour after turning off. I did email Heritage twice but didn't get a reply. However, an approved service guy said this is normal. Needless to say, the boat gets far too hot so my advice would be to seriously consider this before investing in one. In the meantime, we'll probably get a camping stove/hob for the summer months.

• 4 years later...
5 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Is the burner running? The lack of hot water may be nothing to do with the boiler. How is your system configured.

Yep burner is running oven is on hot been running 3 hours but still no hot water there is a little as you turn the tap on but nothing radiators are boiling I’ve even tried turning them off but still no hot water