Wiring in the Mains

Featured Posts

Finished the 240v ring main and ready to install a RCD unit

Does any one know what fuse rating I need to buy with this unit?.

Landline shall only feed ring main and Charger.

What type of wire should I run from the the pluggy bit from the land line to

this unit?

What about the earths ?

Thanks All

Glenn

You need to work out how much current (Amps) will be carried through the ring to each appliance. Keep in mind that most land-lines at marinas already have fuses in them to stop you drawing too much current.

The cable to the RCD unit must be suitable for carrying the whole expected current and greater than the fuse proctecting the ring main.

Normally 2.5mm 3 core arctic mains cable will do the job.

p2688432_x.jpg

Link to Screwfix

I purchased a small RCD unit similar to this one... Link here

For the earths I've used a solid connector block with lots of screw down terminals where all the earths join together. This is linked by a heavy earth gauge wire to the bus-bar in the RCD unit.

Edited by stuart

Thanks Guys

Stuart, you said all the earths presume you mean in my case the ring main earths and the earth to the charger and any 240v other circuits I may install?

Do these earths bond to the steel shell as well ?. If How and where?

Thanks for your help.

Glenn

Edited by Glennbrown

Thanks Guys

Stuart, you said all the earths presume you mean in my case the ring main earths and the earth to the charger and any 240v other circuits I may install?

Do these earths bond to the steel shell as well ?. If How and where?

Thanks for your help.

Glenn

Yes. Just wire a heavy gauge earth cable from the earth "ring" to the hull. Use the crimp connectors with a hole in them and use a self tapper screw to the inside of the hull. Pick a point that you can drill through without going through the hull eg. a strengthing beam etc. Rub the area down with wet&dry paper first so that you have clean shiny metal to make a good contact. No paint etc.

There a big long thread about earths to the hull or not, but imo you should conect all the earths, and the -ve of you low voltage ring to the hull, thats whay we've dont, and never had a problem. (and were not using an galvantic isolator)

daniel