Kuma wi-fi wireless hotspot.

Featured Posts

I have just noticed on Ashby Boat companies web site that they offer this kit now on their hire boats.

Did a Google and found it on Amazon, the info. may be of use to somebody or even better does anybody use one and know how well it works or otherwise.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Caravan-Wireless-Internet-Motorhome-Canalboat/dp/B00J5EGQ64#customerReviews

Presumably you can use it to filch free wi-fi from the likes of Maccy D's or the local pub, or caravan site even (subject to knowing log in info. in some cases of course)

It just boosts wifi signal. The antenna picks up the signal and re broadcasts the network. Useful if there is free wifi nearby but the signal is not strong enough inside the boat for your devices to connect. You will still need to know the password or log in details of course. I have a similar set up on my boat and it works well, but the marina wifi is so crap here I rarely use it any more and stick to mobile... If I'm out and about it is great, I can use a pubs free wifi from miles away.

Edited by Delta9

I bought something similar made by Alfa. Despite many calls, screenshots,and drivers I never got it to work and ended up sending it back for a refund.

Yes that looks an awful lot like a rebadged alfa r36 which you can buy for 40 quid or so.

You can achieve exactly the same thing as this using just alfa components for about half the price.

Setup is a bit confusing at first but we use ours extensively as they can sniff out wifi at a pretty decent range.

Sounds like they want to persuade ill prepared potential customers that they will have wifi onboard, without shelling out on a mobile router (which at the end of the day is not that expensive, PAYG sim, charged to the hirers?) Do any hire boat companies offer this I wonder?

One of the last boats we hired a few years ago from Napton Narrowboats had a 3G router. It was pretty useless and most of the time when we tried to use it there was either no signal or so slow you couldn't use it. There wasn't any extra charge though.

Sounds like they want to persuade ill prepared potential customers that they will have wifi onboard, without shelling out on a mobile router (which at the end of the day is not that expensive, PAYG sim, charged to the hirers?) Do any hire boat companies offer this I wonder?

As per my original post - Ashby Boat Co. say they do in their hire boats, but charge £10 per week or per short break for it. Given what has been said so far in the thread I am not sure I would bother and would just stick with my dongle and travel router TBH.

ed. to correct the amount.

Edited by MJG

• 3 years later...

thanks Rusty, Im basically an ignoramus on most things boating including this. After reading a lot Im still not sure, however my question is how do I suck free wifi into my NB.  Have you ha any experience with this.  I also note Solwise is mentioned in a number of forums are hey up to speed with the latest wifi "

sucker"

1 minute ago, quovadis said:

thanks Rusty, Im basically an ignoramus on most things boating including this. After reading a lot Im still not sure, however my question is how do I suck free wifi into my NB.  Have you ha any experience with this.  I also note Solwise is mentioned in a number of forums are hey up to speed with the latest wifi "

sucker"

I don't know about the gadget being discussed, but imagine it consists of an external aerial that receives a wifi signal, which connects to a box in the boat that transmits a wifi signal within. 

The range will likely be quite low, and obviously dependant on being in an area that is offering free wifi to which you may need a password. 

Most people use a paid for mobile data sim for Internet access on boats these days. 

14 minutes ago, quovadis said:

sucker"

Hi Quovadis, why don't you Just start a new thread - WiFi snaring methods change all the time so it might be better to just throw it out there. :)

18 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I don't know about the gadget being discussed, but imagine it consists of an external aerial that receives a wifi signal, which connects to a box in the boat that transmits a wifi signal within. 

The range will likely be quite low, and obviously dependant on being in an area that is offering free wifi to which you may need a password. 

Most people use a paid for mobile data sim for Internet access on boats these days. 

I agree. I paid circa £200 for a wifi router and antenna - a separate unit to the 4G router/antennas. The wifi works great and can pick up signals up to 1/2mile away and is particularly useful in the marina to pick up their free wifi. However, we never use it when out as the speed of all the pub wifi systems is so slow and most seem to block streaming. We always just use the 4G. Maybe free wifi in towns will become more common but we havent found any yet. I would just get 4G.

ETA...the wifi unit is from Solwise.

Edited by Dr Bob