Coventry Basin

liberty.viner

Featured Posts

Well, that road is part of the 'interesting' Coventry ring road where the exits cross over the entrances for the next junction. It's a tricky place to drive, I wouldn't want to walk across it as it is now

On the other hand, this will be part of the redevelopment that involves demolishing the old Royal Mail building and remodelling junction 1. It is planned improve the connection between the canal basin and the centre. It's hard to know what this crossing will be like or how safe or dangerous it will be without seeing the plans

Of course, you could go with the 'everyone in authority is an idiot' line if you want

Richard

It's worse than that .........

This is a dual carriageway (40 MPH limit .... granted) however it will be the only pedestrian crossing on the ring road that's not guarded by Junction Traffic Lights.

Sadly .... my experience of drivers attitude in Coventry towards traffic lights is: -

Green = GO!

Amber = GO!

Red = Oh .... alright, just six more then!

This crossing will be situated only a few hundred yards on from The Folsehill Island which is Traffic Light controlled and has always been like a starting grid.

From a Canal perspective, the Coventry Canal Society (Canoe Club) is presented with a major hazard as Leicester Row will change from being a narrow side road into a major thoroughfare for traffic including buses etc leaving the Ring Road.

The Canoe Club House entrance is right on the pavement. Their canoes have to be carried out and into the road in order to be turned for loading onto their trailer.

Some of these canoes are 15 feet long and will entail the poor bod at the front being in the middle of the road and of course the traffic!

Not so good.

edited once upon a twice due to me forgetting which forum I'm on and using the wrong signature ~duh!

Edited by zenataomm

This is a dual carriageway (40 MPH limit .... granted) however it will be the only pedestrian crossing on the ring road that's not guarded by Junction Traffic Lights.

Sadly .... my experience of drivers attitude in Coventry towards traffic lights is: -

Green = GO!

Amber = GO!

This crossing will be situated only a few hundred yards on from The Folsehill Island which is Traffic Light controlled and has always been like a starting grid.

From a Canal perspective, the Coventry Canal Society (Canoe Club) is presented with a major hazard as Leicester Row will change from being a narrow side road into a major thoroughfare for traffic including buses etc leaving the Ring Road.

The Canoe Club House entrance is right on the pavement. Their canoes have to be carried out and into the road in order to be turned for loading onto their trailer.

Some of these canoes are 15 feet long and will entail the poor bod at the front being in the middle of the road and of course the traffic!

Not so good.

edited once upon a twice due to me forgetting which forum I'm on and using the wrong signature ~duh!

Looking at the plan Richard has uploaded, I cannot see a vehicular link from the Ring Road to Leicester Row.

Plans to replace the footbridge over the ring road with a toucan crossing. Not a good idea thats a busy road.

However the bridge has also been the scene of one grisly event:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-15561480

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

There's a general plan in Coventry to try to slow the traffic down by creating pedestrian crossings on busy roads. The problem is that a certain group of drivers seem to think that the law doesn't apply to them. My son crosses one such road on the way to school and there have been a number of near misses where the driver has jumped the red lights.

Green = GO!

Amber = GO!

Thats about right. The Police seem to have given up policing the roads round here. The number of cars with only 1 head light working, cutting in at the last minute or pulling out of junctions when there's other traffic coming is horrendous. It's the "I've got a luxury German car so I have right of way mentality".

There's a general plan in Coventry to try to slow the traffic down by creating pedestrian crossings on busy roads. The problem is that a certain group of drivers seem to think that the law doesn't apply to them. My son crosses one such road on the way to school and there have been a number of near misses where the driver has jumped the red lights.

Thats about right. The Police seem to have given up policing the roads round here. The number of cars with only 1 head light working, cutting in at the last minute or pulling out of junctions when there's other traffic coming is horrendous. It's the "I've got a luxury German car so I have right of way mentality".

I personally think the bridge is a far safer option, as has already been said the island at the end of foleshill road is like the starting blocks to a race track.

couldnt agree more with your final comment .... see them everyday, sharp suit and a penile extension by BMW!

Rick

Looking at the plan Richard has uploaded, I cannot see a vehicular link from the Ring Road to Leicester Row.

I've seen a copy of The Council Plan.

Where the footbridge is imagine an elongated traffic island reaching back to the Foleshill Road Island, then imagine a cut through roughly where the footbridge currently is allowing traffic to turn across the other carriageway (Ringway St. Nicholas)and join up with Leicester Row as it goes up the side of the basin and feet from the warehouses. Traffic will pass up there until it joins Foleshill Road.

Where the footbridge is imagine an elongated traffic island reaching back to the Foleshill Road Island, then imagine a cut through roughly where the footbridge currently is allowing traffic to turn across the other carriageway (Ringway St. Nicholas)and join up with Leicester Row as it goes up the side of the basin and feet from the warehouses. Traffic will pass up there until it joins Foleshill Road.

Ah. When I worked for BT we used to get all the roadworks plans for Coventry and Warwickshire as I was in the office which dealt with roadworks diversions. Do you know whether the plan was a preliminary one or a final draft? In my experience highway authorities altered their plans many times before the final one was released.

Sadly I get to see none of them any more.

Edited by Ray T

Is this like the masterpiece they've designed at the bottom or Warwick road that now pushes all of the traffic up Quinton Road and through Cheylesmore? Or the "improved" pedestrian / cycle crossing on the A45/Kenilworth road junction that requires BMX bike skills to use? To name just a few well thought out ideas...

None of those can be policed by speed cameras of course. Or undertaking, or driving with a mobile to your ear...

Richard

According to a nephew of mine, a police officer, because of Government cuts we now have a police service instead of a police force.

I don't know which version of the map it was, but it is being used as the basis of a local petition against.

As I said previously it makes the basin warehouses unusable at road level and in particular the Coventry Canal Society Canoe Club.

The idea of a ring road is that its an uninterrupted road to enable vehicles to pass with little restriction as possible, and that's the way most people will drive it. Its a busy road, it has access for wheelchairs (ramp) so usable by all.

Every time I have used it there is a good flow of traffic and people crossing the bridge. I stand by the saying, "If its not broke then leave it alone" This bridge provides a safe crossing. As has been hinted in other posts, the drivers in Coventry are not the best and I see this every day I'm on the road. Cyclists are few and far between because they dare not venture out. Those that do ride on the pavements. The only safe place is in the canal.

The Design & Access Statement for the Bishop Gate redevelopment here:

http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=894233

Should anyone care to wade through the planning application:

http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=715299

OUT/2011/0326 Out line :

http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=908348

Edited by Ray T

We've been to the basin a few times & I've been glad that the bridge was there as it made it easy to cross a very,very busy road, ie no contact with traffic.I would not be so confident with some kind of pedestrian crossing.Too many boy racers ! (sorry for sexist comment...)

We've been to the basin a few times & I've been glad that the bridge was there as it made it easy to cross a very,very busy road, ie no contact with traffic.I would not be so confident with some kind of pedestrian crossing.Too many boy racers ! (sorry for sexist comment...)

Boy racers? - don't you mean old git racers, ie me going back home to the other half (perhaps not racing then.....!)