Barge Rally 1961

Ray T

Featured Posts

I wonder what the SUSAN's history was!

1925 - built by Lees and Atkins, Polesworth as horse boat TRUST TO ME for Michael Ward.

1936 - converted to motor TRUST TO ME for Michael Ward - motor conversion most likely completed by Nurser, Braunston.

1938 - sold to Samuel Barlow Coal Company Ltd., Birmingham - renamed SUSAN (named after Michael Ward's widow who continued to work this boat).

19?? - sold.

1961 - for sale at Aylesbury (subsequently sold to Tardebigge Boat Company for use as a hire cruiser).

c1971 - sold (after a couple of further ownership changes, and a boat name change to ENGLISH ROSE, this boat was broken up in the late 1970's / early 1980's).

captain.gif

• Greenie 1

1925 - built by Lees and Atkins, Polesworth as horse boat TRUST TO ME for Michael Ward.

1936 - converted to motor TRUST TO ME for Michael Ward - motor conversion most likely completed by Nurser, Braunston.

1938 - sold to Samuel Barlow Coal Company Ltd., Birmingham - renamed SUSAN (named after Michael Ward's widow who continued to work this boat).

19?? - sold.

1961 - for sale at Aylesbury (subsequently sold to Tardebigge Boat Company for use as a hire cruiser).

c1971 - sold (after a couple of further ownership changes, and a boat name change to ENGLISH ROSE, this boat was broken up in the late 1970's / early 1980's).

captain.gif

Amazing, as always! Ta.

That clip brought back memories, the pontoon conversion belonged at one time to my father & at the time of the film was being used by my aunt & uncle, The boat the mayor inspected the rally from "Wahine" owned by Skip ( never knew his real name) & Bill Attenborough & both moored at DMBC moorings between Sawley locks & the flood lock. IIRC both boats were powered by Albin 2 cyl engines, Wahine's being petrol/TVO, pontoon being petrol, I was going to go but had a load of concrete piles to deliver