Worcester & Birmingham, ufn btwn Gas st & Granville St

springy

Featured Posts

Yes, thanks for the on the spot reports and pics. Well done that man!

I know its thoroughly off topic, but, anyone planning to head to Hawne Basin, would be highly recommended to check out the Bell & Bear in Gorsty Hill Road. Excellent boozer.

Whats the beer?

smiley_offtopic.gif but Brum related. Went to the Black Eagle at Hockley for the first time the other week. Top class pub, highly recommended.

right young man, you need stop stop posting stuff like this, i have jobs to do you know, i am going to close that site down and never look at it again

oh go on just 5 more minutes clapping.gif

Edited by tree monkey

If you find the Blue Lias pub on the Northern GU (Stockton) the old map shows all the cement works alongside the canal

Richard

the whole thing is so cool, just seeing how many of the woodlands still have their original boundarys, i am now going to close the tab down.............well in a bit

Yes, thanks for the on the spot reports and pics. Well done that man!

Whats the beer?

smiley_offtopic.gif but Brum related. Went to the Black Eagle at Hockley for the first time the other week. Top class pub, highly recommended.

Black Eagle is a good un too.

Bell & Bear treated me to Enville Ginger, Enville Ale, a lovely Ipa, an HPA, a Butty Bach, a Bathams Best, A Doom Bar. It's a bit fuzzy after that. I wanted a plate of Grey Pays & Bacon with a crusty cob, but I ran out of money.

Great link Mr Richard dude!

Only on phone so it is all a bit small and my eyes are cr*p, but I saw that before ( interesting stuff) but that seems to be where they are building the dam to me. Edited by john6767

Do you realise I should have been in bed 2 hours ago? Just found the name of the pile of stones up the road. I see that this is a National Library of Scotland resource - see how generous we are!

Thank you for an excellent link.

Another question for our man on the spot. In the BBC WM interview is seemed to suggest 2 dams, which would explain the location of the dam in the posted pictures, which looks to be the "wrong side" of the tunnel location assuming the other end of the drained section would be Granville St. So as they putting one dam right on Salvage Turn and then one along toward Gas St the other side of where the tunnel is?

Another question for our man on the spot. In the BBC WM interview is seemed to suggest 2 dams, which would explain the location of the dam in the posted pictures, which looks to be the "wrong side" of the tunnel location assuming the other end of the drained section would be Granville St. So as they putting one dam right on Salvage Turn and then one along toward Gas St the other side of where the tunnel is?

No, they gave up on the Worcester Bar stop lock location when they realised that it would leave a load of boats and a pontoon sitting on the canal bottom, with potential for damage to both.

It looks as if the section being drained is now beteen the dam being installed at Salvage Turn down to Granville St bridge

What a fantastic link! I was intrigues to see what used to be the other side of the blocked off bridge beyaond Gas Street Basin.

Yesterday afternoon they had two dams partly constructed in highly illogical places IMHO. The big one by the corner is about as long as you could make a dam without splitting the canal in half!

N

Edited by Theo

What a fantastic link! I was intrigues to see what used to be the other side of the blocked off bridge beyaond Gas Street Basin.

Yesterday afternoon they had two dams partly constructed in highly illogical places IMHO. The big one by the corner is about as long as you could make a dam without splitting the canal in half!

N

Thanks, so there are 2 dams. I guess they need to be on the wide part by the corner to make certain the they are that side on the tunnel. Where abouts is the other one?

Would be great to see some pictures, if it was not for that fact we are about to leave to drive up to York I would be jumping onto the train into Birmingham to take a look for myself.

There are emergency stop gates at the first bridge after Salvage turn (Mailbox) and at Sheepcote st Bridge on the BCN main line. These are maintained and ready in case of emergencies. The railway tunnels out of new st pass directly below Old Turn Jcn and there is only a few feet of ground between the canal bottom and the roof of the tunnels.

Edited by Laurence Hogg