Worcester & Birmingham, ufn btwn Gas st & Granville St

springy

Featured Posts

Would the proposal be to put in the dam between the Premier Inn and the basin then? Whereabouts on the W&B is the other end blocked off, Granville St bridge?

It appears that the dam is going in close to salvage turn and yes the gates are closed under granville st bridge.

It appears that the dam is going in close to salvage turn and yes the gates are closed under granville st bridge.

I have misunderstood where the leak is I think. The BBC articles shows photos of Holiday St aqueduct, I was assuming that is what is leaking, but presumably that is not the case then.

I have misunderstood where the leak is I think. The BBC articles shows photos of Holiday St aqueduct, I was assuming that is what is leaking, but presumably that is not the case then.

I don't think they know where the leak is tbh. There is water pouring into the disused railway tunnel and they're trying to find the source.

There's an awful lot of orphan and unknown bits of infrastructure lurking below our cities. Lots of records have been lost due to bombing and fire damage. There's also company closures and mergers and the periodic clear out of old stuff too that contribute to loss of documentation.

I think CRT are up against things a bit with this lot. Who knows what's down there left over from the past. Severn Trent and Railtrack won't know either and the council engineers likewise will not have a full picture.

I'm wishing CRT all the best with solving this.

Rising water level are a problem in Liverpool causing flooding of railway tunnels . This is believed to be a consequence of the loss of industries that used a lot of water. Many had boreholes and pumps to take their water direct.

Not Birmingham related but interesting I think.

Any gold or silver is mine....

Although I could do without the stoppage as I've got to move from Dudley to Droitwich. Could go via the severn river, but don't fancy that this time of year.

You could always go via Lapworth, get some locking practice in.

Dave, thanks for being our man-on-the-spot. Fascinating

MORE: If you are coming up the W&B into Brum, and watch the railway lines you'll spot when the main lines peel off to the left, and the old line to Central goods stayed parallel to the canal. There are extra bridge arches under the roads for it

Without looking it up, I thought it went to Holliday Wharf

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Dave, thanks for being our man-on-the-spot. Fascinating

MORE: If you are coming up the W&B into Brum, and watch the railway lines you'll spot when the main lines peel off to the left, and the old line to Central goods stayed parallel to the canal. There are extra bridge arches under the roads for it

Without looking it up, I thought it went to Holliday Wharf

Richard

That's right. The disused tunnel is still very visible.