Finding folks to share with

Newtocanals1

Featured Posts

Evening boaters

I'm after some advice, we are moored on Gloucester and Sharpness canal system and have a cruiser which we use on the canal and river severn, and sometimes go out in to the channel etc for entry to Bristol. Anyway, we have been advertising for a 3rd member of the boat share we operate (informally) and are having no luck.

I've advertised on apolloduck, in local marinas, on the boat itself but there is not much interest.

I'd welcome any ideas or pointers to where we should be looking to get someone interested. We cannot afford (justify) keeping 50% each as we don't get enough use of it with real life often getting in the way.

Hopefully someone will have an idea (or even better know someone in the South West who wants a 3rd of a cruiser!

Cheers, James

Evening boaters

I'm after some advice, we are moored on Gloucester and Sharpness canal system and have a cruiser which we use on the canal and river severn, and sometimes go out in to the channel etc for entry to Bristol. Anyway, we have been advertising for a 3rd member of the boat share we operate (informally) and are having no luck.

I've advertised on apolloduck, in local marinas, on the boat itself but there is not much interest.

I'd welcome any ideas or pointers to where we should be looking to get someone interested. We cannot afford (justify) keeping 50% each as we don't get enough use of it with real life often getting in the way.

Hopefully someone will have an idea (or even better know someone in the South West who wants a 3rd of a cruiser!

Cheers, James

Try having a look at the Boatshare web site. They may well be able to help.

Howard

Evening boaters

Cheers, James

Hi James,

I have just read your ad and my best suggestion is a breakdown of the annual costs of keeping her, as in actual costs and expected extras i.e. moorings insurance servicing etc along with maintenance costs, antifouling etc. as well as running costs to take her out for the weekend. That would give a potential shareholder the necessary information to decide affordability.

Good luck with a quick sale

Rick

Some good advice above. You don't say how long you have been advertising, but you are about to come into the season where people start to get 'interested' in boating so you may have more luck in the forthcoming months. Amend your add to include details of annual costs and stick with it for a while. Good luck.

It's possibly luck but I have just received payment for a share I have advertised on the Boatshare website. The buyer approached me two weeks after the advert was placed and now, two weeks later the share does have a new owner.

In our case we were selling a share that was relatively cheap compared with some of the others and the weeks were attractive to the new owner. I am happy to have got back more than half of my original capital outlay because I was worried about the buoyancy of the market too and an ongoing commitment to paying maintenance fees.

We were thrilled to be able to start boating with a private boat share. I haven't read your advert but we shared the running of the boat and maintenance so found out a lot about boats in general. A huge bonus for us was that we made new friends too. I know sharing isn't for everyone but most people are too busy to justify the time and expense of their own boat & a private share is way cheaper than hiring.

• Greenie 1