Allergic to something on the boat ?

Nev

Featured Posts

Hi,

Wondering if I share our experience and thinking we may get some observations or experiences from the readership?

We are LAT's (Live-apart-together) a modern term for people who are married but live apart for some of the time. Our case it is jobs, but the result is I spend a good proportion of time on Percy and one weekend my good lady visits me and the other I visit her. biggrin.png

Now the question.... my wife does suffer from allergies. After a few days aboard her face starts to get itchy and on previous occasions she develops what we consider to be an allergic rash. There are a couple of things it might be... dust from the stove, what we burn on the stove, spores from living so close to the country (we have a linear mooring) or maybe the stored water, we have a stainless steel tank and water filter for drinking.

I guess time might help as now we are heading for the warner weather the stove might be put out sometime in the near future....but also the countryside dries up and gets 'green' I have stopped burning wood as we thought the stored wood onboard and as we burn it it may have been releasing spores or the wood smoke may have been aggravating the allergy. We have tried washing the face with boiled water, but difficult when showering. We also only use filtered water in the kettle so we do not mix it with the non filtered.

It must be something on the boat as when she is in the cottage (in the country as well) the reaction subsides.

On option is to replace the wood burner for a Reflecks, happy to do this but wanted to be sure or as sure as we could be that it is the dust/toxins being released from burning wood and less so coal (Excel).

Just wondered if anyone else had had this issue ?

Kind regards

Nev NB Percy

Hi,

We are LAT's (Live-apart-together) a modern term for people who are married but live apart for some of the time.

I spend a good proportion of time on Percy.

Yes, many chaps do if their other half is away. Not many admit it, though.

Edited by Athy
  • Greenie 3

Perhaps you should look at items that your OH's face actually comes into contact with?

Maybe check the bedding for mites?

Washing powder used to launder above (some people can be sensitive, esp. biological types)?

Ditto towels, washing products.

Fleas.

What are her allergies, and where is the rash?

Don't drink from the stagnant water in your tank, it's full of bacteria breeding, thriving, doing belly-flops & somersaults.

Do you have a proper vacuum cleaner in your boat (eg. Miele with filters)?

Hi- I recently had allergy patch tests completed after a very nasty allergic reaction and found out I'm allergic to a preservative- isothiazolinone compounds and also some fragrances, limonene and linalool. I had never heard of it, but it is responsible for an epidemic of allergies and dermatitis.

Its a preservative and used in anything from toothpaste to washing liquids, toiletries, shampoos, printing inks and also paints. Some sufferers can experience a reaction from being in a room that has been painted with a paint containing it. It's suspected that many people suffer mild issues and dont know they have it.

Heres a link to a page I follow- It may be completely unconnected but it might give you an idea of things to try- or consider what is different between home and boat- do you have different laundry liquids etc. Good luck

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Allergy-to-Isothiazolinone-Methylisothiazolinone-and-Chloroisothiazolinone/307128722674171

Perhaps you should look at items that your OH's face actually comes into contact with?

Maybe check the bedding for mites?

Washing powder used to launder above (some people can be sensitive, esp. biological types)?

Ditto towels, washing products.

After years of assuming that biological detergents I have found no scientific evidence to support this. Modern washing machines don't tend to rinse very well, so one or more extra rinses might help. Fabric conditioners remain on fabrics because they are added to the final rinse. I suggest avoiding fabric conditioners.

I suggest washing bedding frequently at high temperature to get rid of mites etc. as a first step. It seems highly unlikely that water or the stove could be a problem.

Friends of ours had something similar and it turned out to be the fabric their seating was trimmed in. They had it retrimmed and the problem disappeared.

There was an issue with Settees as well that I remember- I think it was the chemical flame retardent

Fleas.

What are her allergies, and where is the rash?

Don't drink from the stagnant water in your tank, it's full of bacteria breeding, thriving, doing belly-flops & somersaults.

Do you have a proper vacuum cleaner in your boat (eg. Miele with filters)?

Tap water contains chlorine to keep it free from harmful bacteria. As long as the water is in a closed tank and refilled regularly, the chlorine will do its job safely. Still bottled water can contain a lot more bacteria than tap water.

Warning!! This forum contains nuts. closedeyes.gif

Love it. Of course some have a left-hand thread and spoil the enjoyment of boating.

The problem could even be a nasty spider allergy. I've seen some big ones on boats, some whopping huge great hairy ones too. The most allergenic ones are the real big monster ones that look like Toupees with lots of legs runnin about. Check on their website. closedeyes.gif

• Greenie 1

I had a reaction causing sneezing,watering eyes and even more sneezing. It seems to have been one of those air freshener you have in the bathroom,the Gel type. Chucked it and now free from the symptoms.

Edited by johnmck

If it's on the face I'd suspect bedding and pillows. If they get damp over winter, could have mould spores.

That's quite possible, boats being a fairly damp environment. If there is any musty smell, that suggests mould. Wash bedding at a high temperature, as I suggested earlier. If it is stored on board then there are bags that can be sealed under vacuum, but it's essential that anything is properly dry before storage.

That's quite possible, boats being a fairly damp environment. If there is any musty smell, that suggests mould. Wash bedding at a high temperature, as I suggested earlier. If it is stored on board then there are bags that can be sealed under vacuum, but it's essential that anything is properly dry before storage.

You can put items that you can't wash (e.g. pillows) in the freezer for 48 hours to kill mites.

The problem could even be a nasty spider allergy. I've seen some big ones on boats, some whopping huge great hairy ones too. The most allergenic ones are the real big monster ones that look like Toupees with lots of legs runnin about. Check on their website. closedeyes.gif

Daft ha'p'orth. have a greeno.

Steady on Bizzard. There may be people with arachnophobia round here.

Oh, thanks Athy old bean.

Now, being serious. A doctor customer of mine once recommended using ''Sunlight household soap'' to wash hands and face with which contains lanolin and is quite gentle and good for the complexion. These tablets of soap are big and come in two's, in a paper packet which you snap in half, you can scrub things with it too. Avoid the fancy stinky scented soaps, they are terrible for the skin.

I've just invented a new state of the art powder puff for the ladies which is sure to camouflage all manner of spots, pimples, segs, boils, bubons and scars. I'll launch its debut on the forum in a day or two when I've perfected it, ready for the market. Watch this space. smile.png