New T&C's question

BD3Bill

Featured Posts

Your conclusion is wrong, . . . . . . they have already used the 1995 Act in conjunction with some fanciful and ridiculous interpretation of the existing T & C's to revoke the Licence of a boat with a home mooring, to see if they could get away with it. The changes now being made to the T & C's in respect of boat use are a consequence of that.

That sounds like scaremongering. Why would CRT want to revoke the licence of any boater that is complying with the rules, obviously making allowance for any valid reason for not doing so?

That sounds like scaremongering. Why would CRT want to revoke the licence of any boater that is complying with the rules, obviously making allowance for any valid reason for not doing so?

Why don't you ask them ? . . . . . I'm sure they'd be more than happy to make such information available to one of their leading sycophants.

6:3 There are clear anomalies in both positions, CRT clearly regard the occupation of moorings by permanently residential boat owners who do not move very much as a significant problem (see paragraphs 3.5 and 3.6 above). However, neither the statutory regime in subsection 17(3) nor the guidelines can deal with this problem. A boat which has a home mooring is not required to be “bona fide” used for navigation throughout the period of the licence, but neither is it required to ever use its home mooring. The act requires that the mooring is available, it does not say it must be used. The guidelines also have this effect. The boat is still subject to the restriction that it must not stay in the same place for more than 14 days but there is nothing whatever to stop it being shuffled between two locations quite close together provided they are far enough apart to constitute different places. If those who are causing the overcrowding at popular spots have home moorings anywhere in the country the present regime cannot control their overuse of the popular spots. Such an owner could cruise to and fro along the Kennet & Avon canal near Bristol and the home mooring could be in Birmingham and totally unused.

From a judgement that Alan posted a while back. CRT can shove their new T&C's. They're a bunch of chancers.

Longterm agenda could be, less boat usage, less need for maintenance.

Favoured areas for boats to use when away from home mooring, maintain, those places not being used, less maintenance.

Agreed.

At least there are some folk who have their eyes open & realise that the malaise 'of it won't affect me' is dangerous.

When they lose the Govt funding in a few years time, what happens then?

"Oh, we'll look after the Boaters, they are a good source of income" I think not !

Much easier and cheaper to maintain a linear 'Nature Reserve' surely?

I had wanted a Narrowboat for 28 years, 2 years into owning one they start moving the bloody goalposts with rapid succession and it totally sucks!

Rant over

Cheers Bill

Agreed.

At least there are some folk who have their eyes open & realise that the malaise 'of it won't affect me' is dangerous.

"Oh, we'll look after the Boaters, they are a good source of income" I think not !

I had wanted a Narrowboat for 28 years, 2 years into owning one they start moving the bloody goalposts with rapid succession and it totally sucks!

Rant over

Cheers Bill

Bill I feel for you at least I managed 9 years. Anyone want to buy a 60 ft narrowboat?

Agreed.

Rant over

Cheers Bill

There's certainly that feel to it presently. CRT are spending a lot of time and money creating hassle to solve problems that barely exist.

What we need to do is get organised. I'd like to see the guy who's had is boat seized (apparently) from outside of the main channel of the Trent get CRT into the High Court for a start. CRT need knocking back into their box and we can do it. If we get organised.

There's certainly that feel to it presently. CRT are spending a lot of time and money creating hassle to solve problems that barely exist.

What we need to do is get organised. I'd like to see the guy who's had is boat seized (apparently) from outside of the main channel of the Trent get CRT into the High Court for a start. CRT need knocking back into their box and we can do it. If we get organised.

There is quite a lot happening on Facebook including looking at Crowd Funding

Quite so, but which of the national boaters organisations are prepared to stick their heads above the parapet?

They (the Trust) monitor the output of this forum I am very sure of that.

Paranoid, me, nah. Doesn't mean they're not after me though...biggrin.png

Why don't you ask them ? . . . . . I'm sure they'd be more than happy to make such information available to one of their leading sycophants.

I can assure that I'm not an enthusiast of CRT, but like it or not, they have the job of running our waterways. Not a small bunch of disgruntled boaters who post on this forum or write for narrowboatworld.

Edited by mango

There is quite a lot happening on Facebook including looking at Crowd Funding

What groups/pages?

It would seem to me that what boaters need is a law firm, as CRT have. Not to the same extent or scale but a solicitor who is the go to person because they understand the legislation. Exactly the same way that football fans, political activists and just about everyone else who finds themselves in dispute with authority where specific legislation applies. You need someone who understands it. Not just a general brief who before you contact them might well never have heard of the various acts let alone understands them.

What groups/pages?

It would seem to me that what boaters need is a law firm, as CRT have. Not to the same extent or scale but a solicitor who is the go to person because they understand the legislation. Exactly the same way that football fans, political activists and just about everyone else who finds themselves in dispute with authority where specific legislation applies. You need someone who understands it. Not just a general brief who before you contact them might well never have heard of the various acts let alone understands them.

Shoosmiths would be a good start.

Bill I feel for you at least I managed 9 years. Anyone want to buy a 60 ft narrowboat?

Thank you, I appreciate that comment, I am determined to spend the next 20 years working towards a mooring of my own with riparian rights so they can't stop my fun though!

Cheers Bill

What groups/pages?

Would Nigel Moore of this parish take up the cudgels for a monetary consideration?

Bob

What groups/pages?

Will PM you

Where which groups please I'm new to Facebook

Regards kris

Will PM you

Agreed.

Rant over

Cheers Bill

I'm not happy with the state of some of the locks etc. but as recently as the 80s and 90s it was necessary to ring Canalphone North/South and listen to a long list of restrictions due to water supply and stoppages before setting off on the boat. The only significant problem I have encountered in the past ten years was a tree that blew down.

Money spent on for the benefit of nature conservation, cyclists and towpath users may be given to CRT for that purpose. If it comes from CRT funds, remember that the proportion of the money form licences and moorings is only part of their source of income and benefits a relatively large number of canal users.

I am very much looking forward to continuing boating and hope that all our canals will remain open.

• Greenie 1

NABO have for some time taken up the legal cudgels to challenge CRT. A report from last year is here I've no doubt that they will have something to say about the latest proposals.

It seems that NABO are at the moment the only organised group prepared to actually do something about CRT's policy decisions as opposed to moaning about them.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Do try and keep up and open your eyes

At one time you were very positive about CRT, but something seems to have changed. My view remains that they should be allowed to get on with the job and that we make input via recognised organisations.

At one time you were very positive about CRT, but something seems to have changed. My view remains that they should be allowed to get on with the job and that we make input via recognised organisations.

Yes it has changed I still try and support CRT where I can but can not support them on issues that I do not agree with.

Yes it has changed I still try and support CRT where I can but can not support them on issues that I do not agree with.

That's my view too. My arguments don't relate to boat licensing and mooring, where they have my support in dealing with those who make little effort to comply with the rules.

I can confirm NABO is currently exchanging emails with CRTs legal team regarding the T&C's . As the content is currently private I can not post but we will be getting a further clarification around the specific point of those with a home mooring being required to cruise. Which IMO has obviously been expanded upon as a result of their recent action against T Dunkley.

Once we have shared with our members I will ensure its posted on our web and Facebook page as we did with the recent exchange regarding the Mayers judgement.

I can accept that there are a few boaters who have no intention with complying with any guidance or terms and conditions that CRT issue so you have to ask whether these changes will have any real effect as surely CRT could have at least tried to enforce against these boaters using their existing powers which have not changed.