Birmingham Visitor moorings

sleigh

Featured Posts

Hi all,

My girlfriend is attending the BSAVA congress in Birmingham 9-12 April, rather than her staying in a hotel, whats the nearest moorings to gas street basin that we'd get in for that period, Might as well make our first adventure on the boat a decent one, thanks in advance

Keith

I'd agree with Richard that you could take your pick. Gas Street or NIA end.

If you wanted to remove the element of uncertainty you could book a paid for visitor mooring space round the corner at Sherborne Street Wharf, a private 'marina' so to speak. If it was me though I wouldn't bother. It's almost unheard of to turn up in Brum and not be able to find a space somewhere.

Am I wrong, but unless you go a little bit away from the NIA, are they not mostly (or all?) limited to 48 hours?

Or is there a winter exemption to a longer period these days?

I'm not sure what all the names are for the different bits, but if you come up to the roundabout from Gas St. direction and turn left towards the main line (not the other left that goes down the little loop) you have a stretch of 14 day moorings on the right. Not sure if it all the way from the roundabout, i think there may be a stretch of 48hrs before the 14 days.

Also, I'm not condoning overstaying, but if it was just from 9th-12th then I'm sure you could get away with using a 48hr mooring in April. Perhaps spend 2 nights down the Gas Street end and then move up to the NIA for 2 nights. I'm sure you could probably get away with that.

Gas St and the ones closest are all 48 hour. There are 14 day on the main line furthest from Old Turn.

Thanks - that's what I thought.

Also, I'm not condoning overstaying, but if it was just from 9th-12th then I'm sure you could get away with using a 48hr mooring in April. Perhaps spend 2 nights down the Gas Street end and then move up to the NIA for 2 nights. I'm sure you could probably get away with that.

Yes, I'm sure it is highly unlikely to cause a problem, but have a feeling this is one place where they may have raised invoices for overstaying, even if it isn't!

Edited by alan_fincher

You will need to book some holidays - Gas St Basin to Newark 43 hours (you could possibly do it in about 3 hours less as we were waiting for a lock for 3 hours)

Here is the log of the journey :

Tuesday 26th July

Departed Gas St Basin (Birmingham) 07:30

Flight of 24 locks – arrived at Cuckoo Wharf (3 miles) after 4hrs 15min.

Cuckoo Wharf to Minworth with all locks against us 2hrs 5min.

Minworth to No11 Bottom Lock (nr. Bodymoor Heath) with all locks against us 3hrs 40min.

Engine off at Whittington (Bridge 80) at 20:50hrs

13 Hours 20min cruising

Went to pub but it had closed down – walked to next pub but the kitchen closed at 21:00 hours – they did us a cheese sandwich.

Wednesday 27th July

Departed Whittington 07:00 hours,

Arrived at Hunts Lock (just South of Fradley Junction) at 09:36 hours.

Volunteers manning the locks for the festival at Burton On Trent

Common Lock – 2 hour wait

Bagnatt Lock (nr Alrewas) – we were 19th boat to go down – over 3 hour wait.

Bit of bumping with a working boat during the wait.

Waited at every lock going into Branston / Burton On Trent

300 moored boats for the IWA Festival – moored up breasted 3 deep for over 3 miles.

Single (8 foot wide) lane kept clear with odd passing places.

Ended up at Willington by Bridge No 23

Engine off at 20:30

13 Hours 30 min cruising.

Went to Pub – Sausage Egg and Chips – excellent !!!

Thursday 28th July

Departed Willington 06:20 hours

Arrived Midland Canal Centre at 07:01 hours (very slow lock with leaks – 23mins to cycle lock).

Arrived Sawley to Fuel up and purchase Anchor etc. at 12:00 hours.

Departed Sawley at 12:45 hours.

Arrived Beeston Lock at 14:45

Departed Castle Lock (Nottm) at 16:00 hours

Departed Meadow Lane Lock at 16:44 hours

Onto the Trent “proper”.

Arrived Gunthorpe 19:30 hours planning to moor up but all moorings full.

Motored up to Hazleford Ferry and managed to get alongside the Lock Wall – arrived at 20.20 hours.

14 Hours cruising.

Cheese on Toast for Tea !!!

Friday 29th July

Departed Hazleford Ferry at 07:55

Arrived at Kings Marina and Engine off at 10:07 hours

2hours 12 min cruising.

Total Journey time : 43 Hours 2 minutes

Yes it's 14 days between sheepcote St and st Vincent's street, also opposite the cube and at Cambrian basin. Cambrian basin is probably the most likely to have space. Alternatively you could moor for 48 hrs, turn round and moor somewhere slightly different for 48 hrs. Naughty, but I really can't see it affecting anyone at this time of year.

Heaps of room now.

We are in Cambrian Basin (at the top of the Farmer's Bridge flight) and there is pretty well no room here but just up the way through the Wocester bar there is load of room. I am not sure what the time limit is but there is no one there and CRT visit every three weeks or so.

The two liveaboards in the basin on the 24hr moorings have been there at least a week and seem unconcerned. Common sense tells me that when there is no demand for the moorings you can overstay without inconveniencing anyone.

N

Lots of good places to eat at The Mailbox next to The Cube if you fancy having a meal out. Prices sensible.

Shopping at The Mailbox currently limited to the more well heeled boater only. We were there in January. As they are refurbishing, the only shops open were Harvey Nichols and Emporio Armani. Didn't cater for my budget. Found a nice pair of shoes for me, but £650......really?

I'm not sure what all the names are for the different bits, but if you come up to the roundabout from Gas St. direction and turn left towards the main line (not the other left that goes down the little loop) you have a stretch of 14 day moorings on the right. Not sure if it all the way from the roundabout, i think there may be a stretch of 48hrs before the 14 days.

That's our favourite mooring when we're in Brum. The added bonus (for those that, like us, boat with car) is that there's free parking nearby - unusual in towns let alone cities.

Yes it's 14 days between sheepcote St and st Vincent's street, also opposite the cube and at Cambrian basin. Cambrian basin is probably the most likely to have space. Alternatively you could moor for 48 hrs, turn round and moor somewhere slightly different for 48 hrs. Naughty, but I really can't see it affecting anyone at this time of year.

But it is not at this time of year, its in April.

Agree , let's hope it's nothing too nasty going on.

On the subject of moorings I'm hoping CRT will provide a few 14 day moorings to replace the ones lost to the Fiddle n Bone plans. Brum has a lot to offer , you could have a whole holiday there without running out of things to do.