Residential narrowboats in the Great Ouse? Middle Level?

Nestor Espinoza

Featured Posts

Hello,

I recently got a job offer in King's Lynn and my first thought was to ask for some time to drive my boat there from London. Looking at the maps, there are canals that go all the way to Wisbech and Downham Market, both just some 16m from King's Lynn, an easy commute.

However, I looked at the satellite images of the area on Google Maps and I could not see a single boat in tens of miles, so I am guessing that it would not be a good idea to try and live there on my boat. It may be possible to get there, but probably the facilities are not like they are in the Great Union Canal, and surely there isn't a boat selling diesel, coal and gas.

Does anyone know if it is possible/practical to live in that area? What is the closest to King's Lynn I could moor?

Thanks,

Nestor

The long straight waterway heading from Denver down towards Kings Lynn is designed as a drainage channel to get water out to sea quickly. There are pontoon moorings for boats at several villages, with water taps, but it is not somewhere that one would want to stay permanently, even if the EA would let you.

I don't think the EA actually recognise continuous cruisers in the same way as CRT and all there visitor moorings are 48 hour as I recall. The river banks are privately owned for the most part. A marina space is your best bet.

The long straight waterway heading from Denver down towards Kings Lynn is designed as a drainage channel to get water out to sea quickly. There are pontoon moorings for boats at several villages, with water taps, but it is not somewhere that one would want to stay permanently, even if the EA would let you.

I don't think the EA actually recognise continuous cruisers in the same way as CRT and all there visitor moorings are 48 hour as I recall. The river banks are privately owned for the most part. A marina space is your best bet

Yes, the Ouse through Kings Lynn has a high tidal rise and fall and flows of up to 7 knots IIRC, not something I'd like to moor on.

Closest residential moorings are probably at www.grangefarmtouringpark.co.uk/site/ on the River Wissey. But I'm not sure if they have space at the moment.

Another option would be Brandon Creek/ Little Ouse, which is further south towards Brandon, and may have spaces.

If you've not got a car, you could look at somewhere like Littleport or Ely and commute from there by train (and would be pretty likely to have a train to yourself, most folk go the other way!) these two are certainly the most likely locations to find a mooring, I think there are some in Cathedral marina in Ely at the moment but they're not cheap. This is probably your best bet, and will be the most convenient but certainly will cost.

Another option is an a Environment Agency wild mooring somewhere near Denver sluice- pick a spot of bank you like that's not obviously owned by a farmer in the wild, contact the EA, and if they agree you can moor there for a small price. No facilities, though, so you'd probably have to have a car to get diesel etc. in from elsewhere, and they're not technically residential either.

I know nothing of the Great Union canal, but I do know of a marina which might be able to help you: Fox's in March. It's an established family-run marina with all the facilities you might need. I have known people who lived aboard their boat there, though what Fox's official policy on liveaboards is I couldn't say. Phone and ask them.

There are good moorings on the outskirts of Downham Market (substantial landing stages, lighting, convenient for main road not sure if there is a water point) but I don't know if there are restrictions on mooring there.

I know nothing of the Great Union canal, but I do know of a marina which might be able to help you: Fox's in March. It's an established family-run marina with all the facilities you might need. I have known people who lived aboard their boat there, though what Fox's official policy on liveaboards is I couldn't say. Phone and ask them.

Yes, with a car, your options expand greatly.

There are good moorings on the outskirts of Downham Market (substantial landing stages, lighting, convenient for main road not sure if there is a water point) but I don't know if there are restrictions on mooring there.

48 hour visitor only, IIRC, although I think there is a water point too.

Thinking laterally, if I had the cash, I'd get a mooring somewhere like Bishop's Stortford and get the train to Kings Lynn for work, changing at Cambridge; that way, I would be in much more pleasant boating territory, albeit with a slightly longer commute.

Please god, not another live aboard hoping from one 48hour mooring to the next.

Don't even get me started on the problems in Ely.

Put your hand in your pocket, pay the going rate and use a marina.

The EA Rivers are nothing like the canal network for continuous moorers.

Year on year we gain more bloody narrowboats taking up the limited available moorings.

Please god, not another live aboard hoping from one 48hour mooring to the next.

Don't even get me started on the problems in Ely.

Put your hand in your pocket, pay the going rate and use a marina.

The EA Rivers are nothing like the canal network for continuous moorers.

Year on year we gain more bloody narrowboats taking up the limited available moorings.

Congratulations on your escape from The Grumpy Thread. I hope you came through unscathed.

there are some liveaboards here in Upwell, but the moorings are all privately owned and you would have to ask around to find their owners.

Congratulations on your escape from The Grumpy Thread. I hope you came through unscathed.

there are some liveaboards here in Upwell, but the moorings are all privately owned and you would have to ask around to find their owners.

That's the point though, isn't it?

Too many that don't want to pay there way have been flushed off the GU onto our rivers.

Finding a land owner of marina operator to hand over your hard earned in return for a resi mooring is fine.

Hogging the limited visitors mooring is not.

The OP indicted a desire to moor near KL for sod all.

We spent an extended period on the Ouse, paying our way at the Fish n Duck last summer.

The amount of people taking the piss at Ely and Littleport EA moorings was markedly greater than the previous year.

Its not a case of being grumpy, I pay a fair wack for my boating, its no surprise those who wish to do it for F all get short shrift

We're slowly making our way over to the Great Ouse for the summer so hope we'll find space each night. Last there in 2008 and spent the winter in Hartford but will head back for the canals this year, probably!

Between Denver and Popes Corner there are 18 EA 48 hour moorings. I have not included GOBA moorings. That's 36 days between the two points if you so desired.

Unfortunately, only the ones near Ely and Littleport are handy for shops and rail. Hence the honeypot mentality that we see.

Mooring away from these two areas seldom caused too much grief. The relief channel also suffers from piss takers at Downham, but as its so little used its not complained about as frequently.

You should be fine, but until the EA, Ely and Cambs Council get a grip on the situation at Ely and Littleport the piss takers will continue spoiling it for those of us who do abide by the 48 hour rule.

We are heading to the Great Ouse for our summer holiday. Hope we have made the right choice now!

You should be OK, you've got a correct length boat!

Every now and then the odd person had to be asked to budge up, this is not exclusive to narrow boat owners though. I had a run in with an old fella on a cruiser at Upware last year. Sense prevailed and space was made....

Don't get me wrong, the Great Ouse is fantastic, on the whole we always enjoy our annual trips over there.

Its slowly changing though, which is a shame, but inevitable I guess.

Edited by gazza

Gazza is right about the piss takers, if you want to live aboard on the Great Ouse system while holding down a job then a marina mooring is rally the only practical way of doing so. Trying to CC though not impossible is tough and that would effect the quality of your life. I pay about £2000 pa for my garden mooring (ie a side on mooring in the basin) and for that I get secure parking, shore line hook up, water point to the boat, elsan and rubbish disposal plus no council tax to pay. I reckon that is a pretty cheap berth by any standards. I reckon the commute to Kings Lynn from here would not be too bad. Google Riverside Island Marina, we have some spaces at the mo.

Phil

Gazza is right about the piss takers, if you want to live aboard on the Great Ouse system while holding down a job then a marina mooring is rally the only practical way of doing so. Trying to CC though not impossible is tough and that would effect the quality of your life. I pay about £2000 pa for my garden mooring (ie a side on mooring in the basin) and for that I get secure parking, shore line hook up, water point to the boat, elsan and rubbish disposal plus no council tax to pay. I reckon that is a pretty cheap berth by any standards. I reckon the commute to Kings Lynn from here would not be too bad. Google Riverside Island Marina, we have some spaces at the mo.

Phil

And very nice it is too at Riverside Island, one day we will get through the bloody lock...

Phil is bang on BTW.

Try renting a flat for less than £200 quid a month.

That's the point though, isn't it?

Too many that don't want to pay there way have been flushed off the GU onto our rivers.

Finding a land owner of marina operator to hand over your hard earned in return for a resi mooring is fine.

Hogging the limited visitors mooring is not.

The OP indicted a desire to moor near KL for sod all.

We spent an extended period on the Ouse, paying our way at the Fish n Duck last summer.

The amount of people taking the piss at Ely and Littleport EA moorings was markedly greater than the previous year.

Its not a case of being grumpy, I pay a fair wack for my boating, its no surprise those who wish to do it for F all get short shrift

What is the point? The liveaboards whom I know in Upwell pay for their moorings.

I did not suggest that your grumpiness was not justified, but yes, your previous post came over as at least medium-grump: "Please God, not another liveaboard....More bloody narrowboats..." You could scarcely describe your disposition as sunny!

I take it you are not fond of continuous cruisers.

And very nice it is too at Riverside Island, one day we will get through the bloody lock...

Phil is bang on BTW.

Try renting a flat for less than £200 quid a month.

The lock is now fully functioning so you can now get to Judes Ferry (took EA long enough)

Phil

Doesn't actually say that though, does he?

Judging by the fact he was looking at Well Creek and the tidal Ouse and the Relief Channel (16 miles) its a fairly safe bet isn't it?

What is the point? The liveaboards whom I know in Upwell pay for their moorings.

I did not suggest that your grumpiness was not justified, but yes, your previous post came over as at least medium-grump: "Please God, not another liveaboard....More bloody narrowboats..." You could scarcely describe your disposition as sunny!

I take it you are not fond of continuous cruisers.

The point is (as I said before....) those that pay are not an issue, those that take the piss are.

Continuous crusing is not a problem, as long as its just that.

Living in the area you should know (as phil has pointed out) its nigh on impossible. Especially given that KL is the choice to be closest too.

Its fair to say it's a request for advice on continual mooring given the availability of places to moor in that neck of the woods.

Sunny disposition and me are not common bed fellows on this subject, even less so in my neck of the woods...

Edited by gazza

What's continuous crushing?

Is that the EA's answer to piss takers? :)

I wish! Predictive text and no proof read...

Now edited...

The lock is now fully functioning so you can now get to Judes Ferry (took EA long enough)

Phil

That's good news, hoping for a couple of days over your way during the spring bank holiday.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll do a scout trip on my motorbike to have a look at the marinas first and see how commuting from them would work out.

And for the record, I thought it was clear that I wasn't intending to go into the tidal Ouse, I did say that I would commute from Downham Market or Wisbech. Now looking at the satellite photos River Wissey seems like a good option.

The relief channel isn't tidal, it runs parallel to the tidal section.

there are no commercial marinas or end of garden type land owner moorings on the relief channel.

At Downham there is a good 48 hour mooring and 2 others on the Relief Channel. None of which are suitable to use for a continuous cruising pattern.

Phil Ambrose is well clued up on residential opportunities on the Ouse.

Edited by gazza

Between Denver and Popes Corner there are 18 EA 48 hour moorings. I have not included GOBA moorings. That's 36 days between the two points if you so desired.

Unfortunately, only the ones near Ely and Littleport are handy for shops and rail. Hence the honeypot mentality that we see.

Mooring away from these two areas seldom caused too much grief. The relief channel also suffers from piss takers at Downham, but as its so little used its not complained about as frequently.

You should be fine, but until the EA, Ely and Cambs Council get a grip on the situation at Ely and Littleport the piss takers will continue spoiling it for those of us who do abide by the 48 hour rule.

You should be OK, you've got a correct length boat!

Every now and then the odd person had to be asked to budge up, this is not exclusive to narrow boat owners though. I had a run in with an old fella on a cruiser at Upware last year. Sense prevailed and space was made....

Don't get me wrong, the Great Ouse is fantastic, on the whole we always enjoy our annual trips over there.

Its slowly changing though, which is a shame, but inevitable I guess.

The EA enforcement officer we spoke to at littleport last summer said that the actual regs for 48hr moorings included 'no return for 28 days'. He was busy chasing off someone who had merely been criss-crossing the river to the 48hr spot each side!

The EA enforcement officer we spoke to at littleport last summer said that the actual regs for 48hr moorings included 'no return for 28 days'. He was busy chasing off someone who had merely been criss-crossing the river to the 48hr spot each side!

I was about to add that about the 28 day return :-)

The boys and girls on the GOBA forum are red hot on tipping off about over stayers.

There are live-aboards in Wisbech Yacht Harbor. Official or not I do not know.

m@

And not cheap either.

We are having a few runs out in the Wash this year and will be staying at the yacht harbour.

Looking forward to it a great deal :-)