12 volt oil suction pump

raymondh

Featured Posts

No but I could live with 14 minutes to empty my spare jerrycan of diesel as its only for emergencies. I've been trying to order a Draper fuel transfer pump from Amazon but they keep saying it's too big to be delivered to an Amazon Box. Given that the biggest of the boxes is about 300 x 300 x 400 they must put it in some rather large packaging!

Edited by pearley

Had too many mouthfuls of petrol and diesel when we used to run a filling station. Its surprising how many people who say they have no money suddenly produce it when you start to syphon fuel back out!

We are gas free and the filler for the generator diesel tank is part way along the left hand gunnel. Its sods law that if I need to decant into that tank it will be when we're moored the wrong way round. An electric pump just seems nice and easy.

Edited by pearley

I have been recommended to buy a MachineMart 12v fuel transfer pump for £29.99, but have yet to get round to buying one. Presumably fuel transfer pumps are also OK to use on coolant, but maybe best to get two, each dedicated to fuel or coolant.

I have been recommended to buy a MachineMart 12v fuel transfer pump for £29.99, but have yet to get round to buying one. Presumably fuel transfer pumps are also OK to use on coolant, but maybe best to get two, each dedicated to fuel or coolant.

Same performance as the Lldl one:

Fluid Classification / Fluids to be used Clean (motor oil, diesel)

Max. Head 0.7 m

Max. Flowrate (dependant upon

temperature/type of oil)

1.5 litres/min (diesel)

0.2 litres/min (engine oil)

Max Operating Time 30 mins

Max. Temperature of liquid being pumped 60o C (Oil) / 45o C (Diesel)

Self Priming Yes

Weight 0.85 kg

Inlet Hose Length 1.2 m

Outlet Hose Length 1.6 m

Motor 12V DC / 9.4 A

Using a larger diameter hose on the inlet side may improve the flow rate?

Alan

Same performance as the Lldl one:

Fluid Classification / Fluids to be used Clean (motor oil, diesel)

Max. Head 0.7 m

Max. Flowrate (dependant upon

temperature/type of oil)

1.5 litres/min (diesel)

0.2 litres/min (engine oil)

Max Operating Time 30 mins

Max. Temperature of liquid being pumped 60o C (Oil) / 45o C (Diesel)

Self Priming Yes

Weight 0.85 kg

Inlet Hose Length 1.2 m

Outlet Hose Length 1.6 m

Motor 12V DC / 9.4 A

Using a larger diameter hose on the inlet side may improve the flow rate?

Alan

Might as well get a pair of the Lidl ones and save some money! :)

How does the whole Lidl thing work?

I could really do with one of these at this price - it is in their 'catalogue', does that mean it will be available in all their stores 'while stocks last'??

I can get into one tomorrow lunchtime...

I could really do with one of these at this price - it is in their 'catalogue', does that mean it will be available in all their stores 'while stocks last'??

Piles of stuff in the aisles... Seems to be how it generally works.

TBH, I could not find this item on the Lidl UK site but that may be because I chose my local store.

On the Lidl NI site the 'Ultimate Speed Oil Suction Pump' (sic) the image looks similar to the one on the Screwfix site. N.B., Neither suggest that this pump is suitable for water and specifcally state that it is unsuitable (dangerous) to use with petrol!

As a comparison of speed, my small, brass hand pump takes ~100 strokes to pump five litres of diesel, maybe three minutes allowing for rest breaks; only slightly faster than this 12V pump. If you want to fill your diesel tank from a container a syphon (e.g. 'jiggle') is the best option; to extract water from the bottom of a fuel tank a hand pump is adequate.

Alan

Quite probably not!

I tried an old fuel transfer pump with water, and it lasted about 10 minutes before it needed yet another strip and clean. It depended on the fuel for lubrication of its plain metal bearings. Might get away with fuel (NOT PETROL, THOUGH) through one meant for water, but best avoided, IMO.

I agree with Robden about the speed of small electric oil pumps. I use the hand pump, if fitted, or a PELA.

Iain

just an alternative suggestion , i use an auto syphon pipe for transferring diesel

about £7.00 from e bay ; search

(Self Priming 1.8 M Metre Jiggle Syphon )

totally reliable, no spills and will transfer 10 ltr in about 4 minutes depending on how

high high the container is above the tank

I actually need something to suck a small amount of oily water from the sump under our engine.

Syphoning won't work, for obvious reasons so I need a pump of some sort.

We only get very small amounts very infrequently, usually caused by getting something wrapped round the prop and over burdening the bilge pumps. Therefore I don't want to spend fortunes, just want something to sit in the cupboard of accoutrements for when it is needed.

just an alternative suggestion , i use an auto syphon pipe for transferring diesel

about £7.00 from e bay ; search

(Self Priming 1.8 M Metre Jiggle Syphon )

totally reliable, no spills and will transfer 10 ltr in about 4 minutes depending on how

high high the container is above the tank

Laser Jiggle Syphon:

Halfords - £7.99

Screwfix - £5.99

But, notr the reviews that say the 'jiggle' part may drop off.

I actually need something to suck a small amount of oily water from the sump under our engine.

Syphoning won't work, for obvious reasons so I need a pump of some sort.

We only get very small amounts very infrequently, usually caused by getting something wrapped round the prop and over burdening the bilge pumps. Therefore I don't want to spend fortunes, just want something to sit in the cupboard of accoutrements for when it is needed.

Use asda smartprice nappies ;-)

We only get very small amounts very infrequently, usually caused by getting something wrapped round the prop and over burdening the bilge pumps.

How does getting something on the prop result in oily water under the engine?

And if it is a very small amount, how does it overburden the bilge pumps (plural)?

How does getting something on the prop result in oily water under the engine?

And if it is a very small amount, how does it overburden the bilge pumps (plural)?

Getting something round the prop is the only time that I ever get any kind of leakage through the stern gland. Last time this happened, on the eastern K&A, we got so much water in it flooded over the edge of the sump bund just a little before I cleared the prop and the sump pump (singular - typo) managed to clear it from the rest of the engine hole.

I can't actually get anything much bigger than a small coffee mug in under the engine and it is a right pain (literally) so I am looking for a cheap pump with a flexible end so I can suck it dry.

Lidl to the rescue! (A sentence I never thought I would type)