CaRT Montgomery Canal survey.

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

Is dogging an option?

Blimey, you might be right, just saw this about the Montgomery on the Canal Junction site....

"Much of it is still closed to navigation after its official abandonment back in 1944, but it was one of the first canals to be considered for reopening by the emerging canal enthusiast movement in the 1960s and a long and dogged restoration campaign is slowly but steadily achieving results."

and i put navigation though i have and enjoyed taking a group of young people canoeing down there we were able to take young people into short side runs totally overgrown and no way ever suitable for narrowboats we went from Queens head to the junction at Frankton or rather the small basin area down from the junction where theres a car park??

and i put navigation though i have and enjoyed taking a group of young people canoeing down there we were able to take young people into short side runs totally overgrown and no way ever suitable for narrowboats we went from Queens head to the junction at Frankton or rather the small basin area down from the junction where theres a car park??

That's the short in-water section of the Weston Arm, originally intended to be the main line of the canal to Shrewsbury.

We were thinking of exploring the Montgomery this year, any thoughts? I put 'other' as navigation too...

do it if you like rural, only 12 boats allowed at one time, i you do it don't go through the bridge past the big house with the winding hole at the end or you will end up reversing all the way back.

do it if you like rural, only 12 boats allowed at one time, i you do it don't go through the bridge past the big house with the winding hole at the end or you will end up reversing all the way back.

is it not open past there now?

oh and yeah do the Monty, at the height of summer its like a differant country from the Llan and you get the chance to be bombed by the trainee helicopter pilots from the nearby RAF station

Edited by tree monkey

• 2 weeks later...

Tell us what you want to do on the Montgomery Canal. If you are a boater you might want to give this survey a miss.

Steve

Wrong!!!

It would be more useful to say in the other section, "Looking at boats" or something that suggests the use of boats is what locals would like to see.

The Monty suffers or benefits depending on your view, from a few myths put out to cover past BW incompetent management.

It gets busy.

It is not. It is very under used.

What dose happen is that the lock at Frankton is only open 2 hours a day. This creates a bottle neck at the Top Lock & on the Ellesmere Arm the day/night/morning before.

It is a beautiful wildlife haven.

It may be, but in my eyes it had a lot less wild life than the busy SU main line. We were shocked at the lack of bird life.

If fact, the first section is as boring as a canal can get.

IMHO The best part is past Welshpool & is not open or was very run down after being restored due to lack of maintenance by BW.

Somebody from the IWA did a scathing review about a year ago and now things are moving again.

All that said the SUCS are doing a wonderful job & are just getting to the more interesting bits.

• Greenie 1

The last turning point is indeed Gronwen Wharf. Last time we went there in a boat,that was as far as we could get. Got stuck on something backing up to the bridge .Might try backing up to Pryces Bridge this year(present limmit of navigation .Last time we walked the section,stop planks were in under the Knockin Road bridge .Have they been moved yet?