Anyone got a bread recipe that makes decent toast?

CygnusV

Featured Posts

Their tasteless cr*p does tend to be a cut above most of their opposition, though. IMO, though we rarely buy mass produced bread.

Tim

I've just impressed myself! I bought a sourdough starter and made my first loaf yesterday. The taste is spot on. I've not tried toasting it though. The crust is proper crunchy and I doubt that toasting will do it any favours.

I was incredibly impressed with the starter I got, and couldn't help but be impressed at how lively it was. Without any sugar or added yeast it almost jumped out of the bowl (obviously it happened in slow motion). Very impressed.

The next loaf I make I will slice and freeze for convenience, unlike this first one which won't last long enough to freeze.

For anyone else who hasn't made a sourdough loaf yet I'd say 'Give it a go!' It's very straightforward and much easier than I thought it would be. I intend to tinker with my method to further improve the bread. The next loaf will be the classic 'ball' free standing shape rather than the tin loaf I made this time. The tin loaf required no kneading, but the ball shape will to ensure it keeps it shape.

I'll take a picture and post it when the loaf's done.

I used to enjoy Waitrose Continental-Style Wholemeal. Really dense, it felt like real food instead of dust and water. However, I haven't been able to find it recently, and have reverted instead to Cranks wholemeal. None of yer light nonsense, it's also heavy as hell and feels like FOOD.

My pure wholemeal sourdough is also pretty dense. I don't think there is enough gluten in the wholemeal, but I don't like diluting it with nasty white flour.