Anyone got a bread recipe that makes decent toast?

CygnusV

Featured Posts

I've made my own bread for ages now and it's not bad at all, very tasty. However, as nice as my bread is for sandwiches it does NOT make good toast! The bread dries out and is very hard when toasted and seems more like the old ship's biscuit the navy had in centuries past.

I must admit that I went back to freezing a Warburtons toasty loaf and saving that for my morning toast. In past weeks though it seems that Warburtons have changed something and their bead is not so good at toast as it was.

So now I am on the trail of a bread recipe that will make a nice sandwich AND a perfect slice of toast. Anyone know of one?

FWIW. Apart from using a bread mixer to initially mix ingredients it's all hand made and baked in the boat's oven

Personally I think sourdough bread makes the best toast, by a mile, as well as the best fried bread. Not so good for sandwiches, though.

It all depends how you like your toast wink.png Try a white/wholemeal/spelt mix.

Warburtons use a lot of North American wheat, I believe there have been supply issues recently because of the Great Lakes being frozen. That might possibly explain the change.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I've made my own bread for ages now and it's not bad at all, very tasty. However, as nice as my bread is for sandwiches it does NOT make good toast! The bread dries out and is very hard when toasted and seems more like the old ship's biscuit the navy had in centuries past.

I must admit that I went back to freezing a Warburtons toasty loaf and saving that for my morning toast. In past weeks though it seems that Warburtons have changed something and their bead is not so good at toast as it was.

So now I am on the trail of a bread recipe that will make a nice sandwich AND a perfect slice of toast. Anyone know of one?

FWIW. Apart from using a bread mixer to initially mix ingredients it's all hand made and baked in the boat's oven

Home made whole meal tends to be moister and resists the drying out effect you get with home made white.

Personally I think sourdough bread makes the best toast, by a mile, as well as the best fried bread. Not so good for sandwiches, though.

It all depends how you like your toast wink.png Try a white/wholemeal/spelt mix.

Warburtons use a lot of North American wheat, I believe there have been supply issues recently because of the Great Lakes being frozen. That might possibly explain the change.

Tim

Hi Tim

I've thought of doing sourdough. Maybe I'll give that a go first and try a spelt mix later. Stu

have you tried wetting not soaking slice before toasting ?

Hi b0atman

This was supposed to be part of a multiquote that didn't work! I'll give that a go, thanks. Just looked and it did work!

Edited by CygnusV

I have the perfect recipe for toasting bread.

take 1 kg flour

I packet yeast

some salt

some sugar

some oil

mix it all together.

knead for 10 minutes

leave to stand for 5 minutes

knock it back and knead for another 5 mins

stop, have a cup of tea

throw the dough in the canal, go to the bakers and buy a nice overnight loaf, unsliced.

bring home, cut into 1" thick slices and toast.

job done.

if you're in a hurry, stages 1-9 can be omitted.

• Greenie 1

I have the perfect recipe for toasting bread.

take 1 kg flour

I packet yeast

some salt

some sugar

some oil

mix it all together.

knead for 10 minutes

leave to stand for 5 minutes

knock it back and knead for another 5 mins

stop, have a cup of tea

throw the dough in the canal, go to the bakers and buy a nice overnight loaf, unsliced.

bring home, cut into 1" thick slices and toast.

job done.

if you're in a hurry, stages 1-9 can be omitted.

I tried that Alf, but as I said previously, Warburtons has gone wonky!

I've actually taken advice from earlier in this thread and sent for some sourdough starter. Having looked into it, it seems that this may work. If it doesn't I'll keep looking!

FYI. I've chosen the San Francisco one that is 'supposed' to be more that 150 years old ( and probably a large pinch of salt too). I'll post the results when I've made the bread.

Edited by CygnusV

It might be interesting to drop a line to Warburtons and let them know that you have noticed as change. It might be down to a temporary shprtage of a particular grade of wheat, or they might have changed something in the recipe or process. Either way. they won't know that you're not happy if you don't tell them!

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Before baking, egg wash the top and sprinkle on Punch Puran seeds from an Indian deli. The taste delicious, a little spicey with a hint of savoury and the aroma whilst baking is out of this world.

Might not go too well with Frank Cooper's Oxford Marmalade, Bizz?

I note that Cygnus V hasn't said whether he is baking and toasting wholemeal or white bread? That must make a considerable difference. 'Half and half' flour seems to produce acceptable results, but failing that, the answer to the original question might be...

Morrisons?

Might not go too well with Frank Cooper's Oxford Marmalade, Bizz?

I note that Cygnus V hasn't said whether he is baking and toasting wholemeal or white bread? That must make a considerable difference. 'Half and half' flour seems to produce acceptable results, but failing that, the answer to the original question might be...

Morrisons?

Ginger marmalade.

• Greenie 1

It might be interesting to drop a line to Warburtons and let them know that you have noticed as change. It might be down to a temporary shprtage of a particular grade of wheat, or they might have changed something in the recipe or process. Either way. they won't know that you're not happy if you don't tell them!

Tim

For convenience I do often buy sliced bread, I can't say I've noticed any change in Warburton's, although wheat supplies are bound to change throughout the year, presumably wheat used now has either been in long-term storage or is imported from the Southern Hemisphere. Either way I still prefer Warburton's over any other brand of commercially available sliced bread simply by virtue of the fact that is is packaged in waxed paper rather than in a plastic bag, and as a result it goes stale rather than mouldy.

I've actually taken advice from earlier in this thread and sent for some sourdough starter. Having looked into it, it seems that this may work. If it doesn't I'll keep looking!

FYI. I've chosen the San Francisco one that is 'supposed' to be more that 150 years old ( and probably a large pinch of salt too). I'll post the results when I've made the bread.

sorry. warburtons ( spell checks says ear buttons ) is not a baker it's a manufacturer who use industrial processes to produce tasteless crap cheap.

go to a proper baker, they've spent years perfecting a craft so you don't have to.

sorry. warburtons ( spell checks says ear buttons ) is not a baker it's a manufacturer who use industrial processes to produce tasteless crap cheap.

go to a proper baker, they've spent years perfecting a craft so you don't have to.

Their tasteless cr*p does tend to be a cut above most of their opposition, though. IMO, though we rarely buy mass produced bread.

Tim

Their tasteless cr*p does tend to be a cut above most of their opposition, though. IMO, though we rarely buy mass produced bread.

Tim

Allinsons Wholemeal is worth a try from the 'mass produced' makers.

I cannot make bread or pastry. McAlpines are using both of these to resurface the UK motorways. My cakes and scones on the other hand are baked to perfection. They don't toast very well though rolleyes.gif

Never mind the wretched motorways and Mc Alpine, use your bread and pastry mixtures to point the brickwork on lock walls and coping. closedeyes.gif

If crust goes hard on an unused loaf or baguette then sprinkle with water and warm up in the oven gives it a second life

When I was a nipper my mother used to do this with a loaf that had got a bit stale. She referred to it as "Dovering it up" but other than the fact she was born in Dover I do not know why. Anyone on here heard that expression?

Dave