Alfie is not Registered. What do I do

Terryb

Featured Posts

While trying to find out how to register and license my new boat. I was sadened to find that it is known as . . .

Carpe Diem - Built by J&p Boat Ltd - Length 15.2 metres ( 49 feet 10 inches ) - Beam 2 metres ( 6 feet 7 inches ) - Draft 0.711 ( 2 feet 4 inches ). Metal hull, power of 39 BHP. Registered with number 512331 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on Sunday 11th April 2010.

The number is correct as are the main details. But the name and the fact that it has not been registered since 2010, is frankly very worrying. I have paid a deposit and am 3 weeks from delivery. Help !!

While trying to find out how to register and license my new boat. I was sadened to find that it is known as . . .

Carpe Diem - Built by J&p Boat Ltd - Length 15.2 metres ( 49 feet 10 inches ) - Beam 2 metres ( 6 feet 7 inches ) - Draft 0.711 ( 2 feet 4 inches ). Metal hull, power of 39 BHP. Registered with number 512331 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on Sunday 11th April 2010.

The number is correct as are the main details. But the name and the fact that it has not been registered since 2010, is frankly very worrying. I have paid a deposit and am 3 weeks from delivery. Help !!

Ring the licence team at Leeds. They will sort you out. If it's just an issue about the name the previous owner may just have changed it and not bothered to let CRT know.

Jumping in here - drat somebody got there first, I'm on t'Thames so suppose I'm not 'registered', but I do have an index number. I thought that was 'for life'. If not there'll be a helluva stink if I ever go back to the canals.

Back to the plot, where did you check those details? Jim Shead's site (canalplan) or with CaRT?

Hi

It dont matter wether its registered or not. If it aint CART will simply issue you a number in whatever name you want and Bobs your auntie. It dont matter about RCD or any other such pleasantries. If its got a current mot and insurance your in biggrin.pngbiggrin.png Great paint job.

Tim

CaRT did not provide a full set of registration details last year when I contacted them - they only sent new records. I'm hoping this year that they'll be nice and send a full listing.

Don't forget that the Boat registration data on Canalplan is NOT authoritative and should never be used to check if a boat is actually registered or not.

And on the Beta site I find:

(bw 512331) Alfie Built by Narrowboat - Length : 15.24 metres ( 50 feet ) - Beam : 1.86 metres ( 6 feet 1 inch ). Hull colour : Black , Superstructure colour : Black Inboard Diesel power of 39 HP. Registered with Environment Authority - Anglian Region number N091452 as a Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Friday 20th April 2012 )

Other boat names on this licence place

(bw 512331) Carpe Diem Built by Narrowboat - Length : 15.24 metres ( 50 feet ) - Beam : 1.86 metres ( 6 feet 1 inch ). Hull colour : Black , Superstructure colour : Black Inboard Diesel power of 39 HP. Registered with Environment Authority - Anglian Region number N091452 as a Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Wednesday 12th June 2013 )

So the EA Data is all messed up - which I'll correct (by moving the BW registration to the other side of the names)

Jumping in here - drat somebody got there first, I'm on t'Thames so suppose I'm not 'registered', but I do have an index number. I thought that was 'for life'. If not there'll be a helluva stink if I ever go back to the canals.

Back to the plot, where did you check those details? Jim Shead's site (canalplan) or with CaRT?

On CanalPlan, is that current.Or did I goof.?

Hi

It dont matter wether its registered or not. If it aint CART will simply issue you a number in whatever name you want and Bobs your auntie. It dont matter about RCD or any other such pleasantries. If its got a current mot and insurance your in biggrin.pngbiggrin.png Great paint job.

Tim

Maybe its just me panicking Tim, it's just that I dont know about these things. No registration on a car I know is a problem, it seems that boats worth 10-50 times as much dont.??

Maybe its just me panicking Tim, it's just that I dont know about these things. No registration on a car I know is a problem, it seems that boats worth 10-50 times as much dont.??

Hi

Yeah dont panic. The great thing about boats in my opinion is the lack of paperwork and legal crap that needs to be involved. I saw my latest boat about three weeks ago after a couple of days internet searching, went to see it and paid the full whack within minutes. No need for any cows dropping paperwork, solicitors etc etc. I dont expect new boaters to be quite so quick because I do appreciate that its all new ground to them but to those of us who have had boats for a while it makes life sooooo much easier. C u on the cut biggrin.png

Tim

Moved to General Boating.

Don't worry about it, Terry. As other people have said, it's not coming up as registered with CRT because it's been on the Nene, on a Environment Agency waters, and the EA didn't send all the records across.

All you need to do is contact CRT, who will be able to licence the boat again, so you're fully legal for the canals.

It happens all the time- boats enter and leave CRT waters, and become registered elsewhere and then come back again.

Mine wasn't updated last year..............still saying 2013

As I said - CaRT only provided new registrations last year. The Beta site removes the "last registration" date and simply refers to the "last updated" date because the Boat index isn't for checking if a boat is currently registered with a Nav Auth.

Edited by StephenA

Just a point, when registering a boat you do need to be sure that you approach the right authority, could be Cart, EA, Broads Authority etc etc.

No point registering wth Cart if you are going to be on EA waters.

Phil

Terry, for God's sake ring me if you are concerned about this stuff. I know the answers. I'm a broker. It's my job.

• Greenie 4

CaRT did not provide a full set of registration details last year when I contacted them - they only sent new records. I'm hoping this year that they'll be nice and send a full listing.

Don't forget that the Boat registration data on Canalplan is NOT authoritative and should never be used to check if a boat is actually registered or not.

And on the Beta site I find:

(bw 512331) Alfie Built by Narrowboat - Length : 15.24 metres ( 50 feet ) - Beam : 1.86 metres ( 6 feet 1 inch ). Hull colour : Black , Superstructure colour : Black Inboard Diesel power of 39 HP. Registered with Environment Authority - Anglian Region number N091452 as a Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Friday 20th April 2012 )

Other boat names on this licence place

(bw 512331) Carpe Diem Built by Narrowboat - Length : 15.24 metres ( 50 feet ) - Beam : 1.86 metres ( 6 feet 1 inch ). Hull colour : Black , Superstructure colour : Black Inboard Diesel power of 39 HP. Registered with Environment Authority - Anglian Region number N091452 as a Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Wednesday 12th June 2013 )

So the EA Data is all messed up - which I'll correct (by moving the BW registration to the other side of the names)

Maybe Alfie used to be called Chris! :lol:

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 1

Thank you, Alan. Terry: the seller of Alfie, through Rugby Boats brokerage, kept the boat on the River Nene. So it would have been licensed with the Environment Agency, Anglian Region. It would not have been on CRT (formerly BW)'s index of licensed craft as a currently registered vessel therefore. At the moment it is at Stowe Hill, as you know, and on a set of trade plates that we have provided whilst it is in our possession. I'll call you when I get in later and explain what happens once you have taken ownership of the boat. If you choose to remain on CRT waters then you may get a new licence, and if you wish to pay for an annual licence up front, you will get the 10% prompt payment discount providing you apply within a fortnight of taking ownership.

I hope this may be of use to others, as it is an issue that has arisen before, particularly in a area like mine where there are two separate navigation authorities in close proximity.