Ironworks sticking out at Yelvertoft

suziq

Featured Posts

Has anyone ever fallen over the ironworks that are sticking out in the middle of the towpath at Yelvertoft just going towards Yelvertoft Marina from The Wharf - opposite the old British Waterways sign to the left of the marina?

I have and had a nasty accident as I tripped over them and fell onto one of them whllst walking my dogs in the dark for their last walk of the night whilst moored there a little while ago - ended up having 7 stitches to a deep wound and then ended up in hospital for 3 days because the nasty gash became infected!!

To be fair. I realise there is an element of sarcasm in use here, however if the aforementioned iron works are protruding so much as to cause a person to trip then this ought to be reported.

In the event that the injured person feels that a claim is relevant then go for it. It all come back to the age old comment of bad maintenance.

Martyn

Sorry to hear of your accident...but please dont think of claiming damages. Should we not all take responsibility when on the towpath? There is nearly always something to trip over or walk into, the alternative would be tarmac paths and fences everywhere wouldnt it? Hope the injury has healed well.

Ian.

Sorry to hear of your accident...but please dont think of claiming damages. Should we not all take responsibility when on the towpath? There is nearly always something to trip over or walk into, the alternative would be tarmac paths and fences everywhere wouldnt it? Hope the injury has healed well.

Ian.

i don't think there was any need for the tone of your post. You do expect various things that you can potentially trip on,on any tow path.

However if things are man made that ought to be buried then perhaps CRT ought to be informed.

That is all I'm saying.

If it were I, then I would call and inform them.

Martyn

i don't think there was any need for the tone of your post. You do expect various things that you can potentially trip on,on any tow path.

However if things are man made that ought to be buried then perhaps CRT ought to be informed.

That is all I'm saying.

If it were I, then I would call and inform them.

Martyn

Sorry. No offence intended.

Ian.

When I fell in the river at the water point at Bardney (on the Witham), hubby had to haul me out as the river is deep there and the only ladders were in the lock. I wrote to BW, as it was then, to inform them, not complain, and when we returned 2 weeks later ladders had been installed. It is worth reporting these things.

• Greenie 1

Whqat actually is the ironwork sticking out of the towpath? Is it the pins connected to the piling which run back under the towpath and should be covered but sometimes get exposed due to erosion of the path?

And yes I would definately call CRT and report it as a problem but I would then personally leave it there, and take no further action. If a local I would keep checking to see if anything has been done and if nothing appears to be done about it I would report it again.

Of course completely upto the OP on their action.

• Greenie 1

I have reported it to the local waterways office but, apart from a "hope you get better soon" type of reply, nothing further has been done to the ironworks - they are in the middle of the towpath which, until the leaves had fallen and obscured them (which is when the accident occurred) they were quite plain to see, but leaving rusty ironworks slap bang protruding in the middle of a path is dangerous for any people/dogs walking (and there are a lot of dog walkers along that stretch).

Even the enforcement officer of the area had stated (before my accident) it was an accident waiting to happen. I just wondered whether anyone else HAD actually tripped or fallen over them themselves.

Unfortunately, as I notice a lot on reading postings made previously, you make an innocent comment/observation about things and canal forum members (not all granted) seem to take great delight in starting a "witch hunt" for no reason apart from they obviously have nothing better to do with their time

I have pictures but don't know how to load them onto my message. The size of them (two are more or less together hence tripping on one and falling onto the other) are 17" and 18" long and 2" to 2.5" height.

CRT obviously have a differant attitude to your area than shown on this new topic.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=73864&hl=

I have also walked the towpath at Yelvertoft and fully agree with your observations. Now CRT are aware, let us hope that they can remedyit.

The anglers that fish the Yelvertoft area have complained about the ironworks and the narrowness of the path going from the Wharf towards Yelvertoft Marina to CaRT and the only comment they got from CaRT was that it is "good enough for walkers and cyclists", even though the anglers cannot get their trolleys to parts of the canal without nearly falling into the canal with all their equipment - and they pay for fishing that stretch, but walkers and cyclists do not

I love the remoteness of the Leicester section , i am glad that the towpath is still a bit rough and ready and not graded and tarmaced for cyclist or widened for fisherman. There are quite a few badger sets on the towpath a bit further on.