emersion heater..yes it me again

millimaize26

Featured Posts

Using the calculator from: http://processheatingservices.com/water-heating-time-calculator/

50 litres, raised by 65C using a 1kW element should take about 227 minutes. Nearly 4 hours...

However - what about losses? How well is the tank insulated. Mine has the original (blue) foam insulation and then a secondary jacket made from an old 14 tog bed quilt. This makes it pretty useless as an airing cupboard but it does keep the heat in the tank.

With just the blue foam insulation I would suggest that 1kW will struggle.

Colin

Using the calculator from: http://processheatingservices.com/water-heating-time-calculator/

50 litres, raised by 65C using a 1kW element should take about 227 minutes. Nearly 4 hours...

However - what about losses? How well is the tank insulated. Mine has the original (blue) foam insulation and then a secondary jacket made from an old 14 tog bed quilt. This makes it pretty useless as an airing cupboard but it does keep the heat in the tank.

Colin

It may take 4 hrs to heat the entire calorifier, but since the hot water rises to the top, you get piping hot water very quickly, just not all that much of it before it starts to run cool. Our calorifier is in the engine bay so unheated and vented to outside, and just has the foam insulation it came with but our 1kw heater is plenty to get it all piping hot and then shut off, even if it might take 4 hrs to heat the entire tank.

Colin

I doubt it. The blue foam stuff is phenomenally effective. I fired up a newly installed heating system many years ago on a Friday night just for 20 mins to see if it worked, then turned it OFF and went home. I didn't return to the house until the following Wednesday, when the HWC was still piping hot.

I doubt your duvet cover is having much effect, the blue foam will be doing all the work.