Angry Boater Live Shows - launching this Tuesday in East London

Joelsanders

Featured Posts

If you are around London, you might be interested in my new project - a solo show looking at the quirkier side of boating & what it's really like living on the canals. The show has been going nicely so far & I'm about to start a Tuesday night residency at The Barge House, a new & charming little venue on the Regents Canal close to Haggerston Station. It starts at 8 pm and ends around 10 pm.

Full details here:

http://www.angryboater.com

If you would like to come this week or next, below are secret links for boater friends to book cheaper tickets.

Tues Feb 10th

http://www.wegottickets.com/sct/yPkMwzgYcZ

Tues, Feb 17th

http://www.wegottickets.com/sct/DeZnHAX8zy

• Greenie 1

If you are around London, you might be interested in my new project - a solo show looking at the quirkier side of boating & what it's really like living on the canals. The show has been going nicely so far & I'm about to start a Tuesday night residency at The Barge House, a new & charming little venue on the Regents Canal close to Haggerston Station. It starts at 8 pm and ends around 10 pm.

Full details here:

http://www.angryboater.com

If you would like to come this week or next, below are secret links for boater friends to book cheaper tickets.

Tues Feb 10th

http://www.wegottickets.com/sct/yPkMwzgYcZ

Tues, Feb 17th

http://www.wegottickets.com/sct/DeZnHAX8zy

It was only the other day that I was wondering what had happened to you

Good luck, and I hope that plenty of people avail themselves of the cheaper tickets. As well as being entertained, they will find out where Haggerston is (I have no idea and, despite a lifelong interest in railways, have never heard of the station).

Good info. It's one of those bits of London which most people have not heard of, like Somers Town, Lee and Temple Fortune (the last-named was invented by upwardly mobile 1970s people who didn't want to be accused of living in Cricklewood).

Haggerston is a fascinating bit of London. The stretch of the canal there has recently become known as the Hackney Riviera (and, by others, as De Beauvoir). Several dinky cafes, restaurants & and bars are dotted along the towpath. It's where the canal crosses Kingsland Rd, Haggerston being between Dalston (the centrepoint for London's Turkish community) & Hoxton (our Vietnamese quarter) . Wonderful food awaits in either direction. For traditionalists , it's also a 20 minute walk from Brick Lane where I can be found gorging on London's best priced salt beef beigal at least twice a week.

It's undergone considerable gentrification. 20 years ago, it was a run down part of the East End with much poorer transport options. Nowadays, it's an epicentre for skinny jeans and hipster culture.

Dalston is relatively well known (used to be a somewhat dilapidated West Indian area - the famous Four Aces reggae club was there), Hoxton less so, though I have heard of it. It's an ex-sum area which has undergone some gentrification, I think. Despite my current bucolic abode I did live in central London for a number of years and got to know many parts of it, but no Haggerston back then, and certainly no De Beauvoir (I can imagine what Ricky Tomlinson, in his Mr. Royle character, would have to say about that).

I am trying to remember the name which locals gave to the area where I lived during most of my London days. It was basically the part between Hyde Park and Regent's Park, and was known as -------- Village. It's on the tip of my tongue...Seymour Village, maybe.

It's undergone considerable gentrification. 20 years ago, it was a run down part of the East End with much poorer transport options. Nowadays, it's an epicentre for skinny jeans and hipster culture.

It may be trendy now, but despite the veneer of gentrification it's still a shitole.

Dalston is relatively well known (used to be a somewhat dilapidated West Indian area - the famous Four Aces reggae club was there), Hoxton less so, though I have heard of it. It's an ex-sum area which has undergone some gentrification, I think. Despite my current bucolic abode I did live in central London for a number of years and got to know many parts of it, but no Haggerston back then, and certainly no De Beauvoir (I can imagine what Ricky Tomlinson, in his Mr. Royle character, would have to say about that).

I am trying to remember the name which locals gave to the area where I lived during most of my London days. It was basically the part between Hyde Park and Regent's Park, and was known as -------- Village. It's on the tip of my tongue...Seymour Village, maybe.

Not Fitzrovia?

A lot of London names to me are defined/known by their stations; any bit of London without a station can sound insignificant/mysterious.

The area you are describing is definitely Marylebone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marylebone

Fitzrovia is to the east of it, and I suspect any other name for it, especially if it ends in "Village", is probably the invention of an estate agent.

I'll certainly take it beyond London in time, Dave.

My loose plan is to develop it here over the coming months , tweaking it from week to week. I've had 5 run-throughs so far and just had a major lightbulb moment that has redefined the storyline (there is a story) . I get to try that out for the first time on Tuesday.

Some years ago, I worked on cruise ships as a comedian and I want to revisit that period of my life with this show - once I've got it right.

My only serious focus for now is on making it as good as I can.

Since the subject of names has come up, I wonder what your least favourite boat names are? Either daft , offensive, surreal or otherwise. I have a section in the show on this and a few new examples would be welcome.

Someone at a recent show mentioned a boat he'd seen called "Boat" (a name designed to save on sign writing costs, I'm guessing).

Good info. It's one of those bits of London which most people have not heard of, like Somers Town, Lee and Temple Fortune (the last-named was invented by upwardly mobile 1970s people who didn't want to be accused of living in Cricklewood).

Me working at Cricklewood film studios.

wub.png

ghoul_0014_zps307d03fa.jpg