Quick Mastervolt Combi Question.

Bob Blues

Featured Posts

To put the batteries into Equalization it says you have to toggle DIP switch B SW8.. Off-On-Off pulse

Is there a better way of doing this as you have to take the cover off to get at the dip switches.

Is there an add-on Box you can control this function? On my old Heart Mastervolt I can press two buttons and it automatically goes into EQ mode. Just wondered if this can do it too.

Also

Energy saving/Economy mode Anyone use it? Is it ok to run at 208v instead of 230.

bob

Not sure if its a similar issue with ours ( a Victron 12/3000/120) which I think is in "saving/economy" mode as our washing machine won't run off the inverter, although is fine if plugged into a 16A capable shoreline....

Drum won't even start up - just sits there, "twitching"...

Nick

To put the batteries into Equalization it says you have to toggle DIP switch B SW8.. Off-On-Off pulse

Is there a better way of doing this as you have to take the cover off to get at the dip switches.

Is there an add-on Box you can control this function? On my old Heart Mastervolt I can press two buttons and it automatically goes into EQ mode. Just wondered if this can do it too.

Also

Energy saving/Economy mode Anyone use it? Is it ok to run at 208v instead of 230.

bob

As far as I know you can't trigger the equalise function remotely. What you can do is to connect a laptop or something like a Masterview Easy (via an interface) and manually increase the charging voltage to 15.5v or whatever. IMO this is a better way to equalise because the built-in equalisation function has an annoying habit of kicking out after 1/2 hr or so.

Haven't tried the energy saving mode, but bearing in mind how little you save and the probable impact on some devices, I wouldn't bother.

As far as I know you can't trigger the equalise function remotely. What you can do is to connect a laptop or something like a Masterview Easy (via an interface) and manually increase the charging voltage to 15.5v or whatever. IMO this is a better way to equalise because the built-in equalisation function has an annoying habit of kicking out after 1/2 hr or so.

Haven't tried the energy saving mode, but bearing in mind how little you save and the probable impact on some devices, I wouldn't bother.

Ah yes I never managed to get it to stay in equalise mode so I use the Outback on a sunny day instead. How do you connect a laptop to start digging around in the settings?

Ah yes I never managed to get it to stay in equalise mode so I use the Outback on a sunny day instead. How do you connect a laptop to start digging around in the settings?

You need to buy the interface, being careful to get the correct one. Surprisingly the mastervolt combi (our one, anyway) doesn't have Masterbus built in, it's connection is "pseudo rs232" and so you can get a combi to Masterbus interface which is the WRONG ONE! You can get a Masterbus to USB which is the WRONG ONE!

What you need us the pseudo RS232 to USB interface, around £100. You then need to download the free PC software from the mastervolt website called "Masteradjust" and off you go.

Edited by nicknorman

So, This Economy setting:

The inverter reduces the output voltage to 208V (104V) AC if the connected load drops below 250VA. The output voltage will return to 230V (120V) AC if the connected load rises above 250 VA. Small loads as clocks in VCR’s and micro waves will perform equal whether the inverter is running in the economy state or is on. The energy saving from your batteries is approximately 10%.

Is Anyone using this Function. If a unit is rated at 200w then surely it doesn't matter on the voltage it will just mean the current is higher.

200W @240V = 0.833A

200W @208V = 0.961A

And @12V 200W = 16.66 A So I will be still drawing 16.6A from the batteries no matter what the output voltage is set to.

An I missing something here How can they say the saving will be Aprox 10%.

Just wondering

Bob

Edited by Bob Blues

So, This Economy setting:

Is Anyone using this Function. If a unit is rated at 200w then surely it doesn't matter on the voltage it will just mean the current is higher.

200W @240V = 0.833A

200W @208V = 0.961A

And @12V 200W = 16.66 A So I will be still drawing 16.6A from the batteries no matter what the output voltage is set to.

An I missing something here How can they say the saving will be Aprox 10%.

Just wondering

Bob

Yes, the fact that most AC devices aren't constant power. If the voltage reduces so does the current draw.

It depends on what you are powering. If it's something like a fridge, or a switch mode power supply charging a laptop etc, there will be no difference. If it's something like a heater/kettle/hairdryer, it will use less power per second but you will need to leave the device on for longer to achieve the same effect so no difference. So in other words, no significant difference and this is why most people don't bother with it.

It depends on what you are powering. If it's something like a fridge, or a switch mode power supply charging a laptop etc, there will be no difference. If it's something like a heater/kettle/hairdryer, it will use less power per second but you will need to leave the device on for longer to achieve the same effect so no difference. So in other words, no significant difference and this is why most people don't bother with it.

thanks

Bob