Back Pain

enigma

Featured Posts

My wife used to suffer a bit. She now has this pad that clips round her waist. So when pushing on the gates it goes between her back and the gates and it has made a big difference. Can't remember what it was called, but I'm sure some chandlers will have heard of it.

You are pushing with your back and not pulling the gates aren't you?

Im the other way around. I have a bad lower back (30+ years nursing) and its exacerbated by the lock gates. Still what can a girl do?? Brufen+panadol+nice glass of vino collapse= bliss at the end of the day.

I suffer with low back pain following breaking of L3 in an industrial accident 25 years ago. This can be made worse by boating/locking activities sometimes. I recently had a particularly bad spasm leading to hospitalisation, and have bought one of these supports. Early signs are an increase in mobility, and /i intend to wear it when locking/lifting etc.:

http://www.physioroom.com/product/PhysioRoom.com_Elite_Back_Support/3084/38841.html#

I suffer with low back pain following breaking of L3 in an industrial accident 25 years ago. This can be made worse by boating/locking activities sometimes. I recently had a particularly bad spasm leading to hospitalisation, and have bought one of these supports. Early signs are an increase in mobility, and /i intend to wear it when locking/lifting etc.:

http://www.physioroom.com/product/PhysioRoom.com_Elite_Back_Support/3084/38841.html#

I think I need one of those for the locks on the Warks Avon. The gates and beams are all steel and some of them are bloody hard work. After a short trip last summer I realised I'd worn away a patch of skin on my lower back!

I tore a ligament in my back some years ago and though it healed it has a tendency to tear agai in the same place because it is now weaker scar tissue. I know the warning signs now and then take things easy for a few days. However I get a lot of pain relief by using a TENS machine which is tiny and can slip in your pocket with the leads to the pads tucked away under T-Shirt, works like magic.

Phil

My OH has sporadic periods of lumbar pain & has just had a really bad one so have ordered one of these, just hope I can get him to wear it when lifting coal,cassettes, gas bottles & doing locks........

My OH has sporadic periods of lumbar pain & has just had a really bad one so have ordered one of these, just hope I can get him to wear it when lifting coal,cassettes, gas bottles & doing locks........

Early days for me, but I find it a great relief during this particular episode. I hope your OH gets some benefit, and would be interested in your findings.

Edited by Guest

Even single-handed I have yet to find a lock that causes me back pain. A well-balanced gate only requires me to lean on the extremity of the balance beam and it will, eventually, open.

OTOH, closing some gates and moving swing bridges can be beyond my muscle power. Use the same strategy as when lifting a heavy object, use your leg muscles, not your back. Failing this I use the power of the boat, levers, ropes etc. or recruit help.

Look after your back, once you have damaged it you will be more susceptible to injury in the future.

Alan

Even single-handed I have yet to find a lock that causes me back pain. A well-balanced gate only requires me to lean on the extremity of the balance beam and it will, eventually, open.

OTOH, closing some gates and moving swing bridges can be beyond my muscle power. Use the same strategy as when lifting a heavy object, use your leg muscles, not your back. Failing this I use the power of the boat, levers, ropes etc. or recruit help.

Look after your back, once you have damaged it you will be more susceptible to injury in the future.

Alan

So true.

the work i have done over the years has been heavy lifting in the fabrication industry. i have disc degeneration and bulging discs, narrowing of the spine canal thats crushing the nerves. i think its l4/l5 and l5/s1 plus have auritus in my spine. i have had 2 operations, am on strong meds every day and now i need my discs replaced. so don't think it can't happen like i did because it can.

btw i am 35

I'm cured!

I had severe back pain for over a year after slipping my foot on a step and 'something' making an audible cracking sound.

After being let down by a GP because she forgot to refer me to the physiotherapist I finally got an appointment a year later.

It took that one appointment to sort me out. She explained to me that much of the weight is transferred through the tiny muscles down your spine (not the backbone as I thought). These muscles are rarely used which causes discs to slip because the muscle mass is too weak to hold them in.

She taught me exercises which she admits are difficult to explain. Basically they are a bit like pelvic thrust but you do it on your back muscles. It's a kind of squeezing thing but you can do it in a car, waking, sitting or anywhere really. If you experiment and put your fingers either side of the dodgy area of your spine you might feel them.

I still do these exercises every time I get a twinge and....fingers crossed...it still works.

BTW, see your GP first and ignore everything I've said...

It took that one appointment to sort me out. She explained to me that much of the weight is transferred through the tiny muscles down your spine (not the backbone as I thought). These muscles are rarely used which causes discs to slip because the muscle mass is too weak to hold them in.

She taught me exercises which she admits are difficult to explain. Basically they are a bit like pelvic thrust but you do it on your back muscles. It's a kind of squeezing thing but you can do it in a car, waking, sitting or anywhere really. If you experiment and put your fingers either side of the dodgy area of your spine you might feel them.

I got the same story from the third physio I went to - and you're absolutely right, it works. She said somehow you have to learn to switch these long back muscles on an they protect the discs. One visit, one set of exercises and no more pain. Well, not often anyway! Mine made me do something along the lines of raising you arm as high vetically as you can - you canthen feel the muscles stretch. Good when you get someone who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't just want to switch a machine on and go and read the paper.

I remember a H&S report some years ago concerning a staff injury checking paddle gear on the Tardebigge flight. The report suggested the back injury was due to repetitively using paddle gear.

It failed to mention that boaters do the same every day.

I often wonder why many classically trained pianists don't get repetitive strain injury!

the work i have done over the years has been heavy lifting in the fabrication industry. i have disc degeneration and bulging discs, narrowing of the spine canal thats crushing the nerves. i think its l4/l5 and l5/s1 plus have auritus in my spine. i have had 2 operations, am on strong meds every day and now i need my discs replaced. so don't think it can't happen like i did because it can.

btw i am 35

Shall we start a L4/L5 disc club? I've just had surgery two weeks ago for prolapsed discs. Doing really well so far with lots of painkillers!! btw I'm 48. As has been said above look after your back if you can.
  • Greenie 1

I've had years of back pain, no doubt resulting from having work that involved lots of heavy lifting all my life. My last ten years were spent as an instructor in the fire service so we used to wear breathing apparatus (around 40 lbs), where the majority of the weight is carried at the top of the back, several times a month.

In my late fourties I slipped a disc (L4/L5 - can I join the club too please) but was extremely fortunate to get a fortnight at the fire service remedial therapy centre at Penrith. That was a marvelous facility. Through a combination of different therapies, exercises, massage, hydro-therapy etc they stopped the pain in ten days and on the 12th I had a BA set on. minus the cylinder, walking through a mini assault course.

The most important part of the process was the classes we attended as part of the programme designed to educate us as to how our injury occurred, how to live with it, and how to take care of it in the future. This taking care is mostly around lifting techniques (the best person to teach lifting techniques is someone with a bad back), and how to take care of my spine with strengthening and stretching exercises designed to improve the core muscles in the upper and lower abdomen to help support the spine and the tiny damaged muscles around it.

My problems were exacerbated by a motorcycle accident in 2005 that resulted in severe soft tissue injuries to every part of my spine except the upper cervical. Strangely my motor cycle provided the ending of my back pain too. A couple of years ago I had stopped for fuel and as I trickled down the slip road back to the motorway I bent my elbows and leaned forward to stretch my spine out because it was aching. At that moment, while my spine was in an exaggerated C shape, my bike ran through a pot hole with a bump and I felt a "click" in my spine. From then on the daily pain I had been subject to (turning over in bed at night was very painful) began to diminish resulting in no pain in my back at all for over a year now. I think I had something out of place in my spine ever since the accident and it was that, that was causing the constant pain.

I'm back on the exercise regime in a big way now. I'm doing 300 step-ups every day (brilliant exercise for the lower spine), press ups, sit ups, and crunches, all followed by several minutes of stretching for my tight hamstrings which I can also feel stretching the lower spine which has been very stiff and inflexible for several years. I always finish with a minute or two of the exercise I emjoy most.

Lie down on the floor and with every breath out relax a little more until the backs of your legs, bum cheeks, middle back, shoulders, and head are all touching the floor. This brings the spine into a much straighter line and moves all the small muscles in the full length of the back very gently. After a minute or two I gently lift my arms and bring them round over my head until they are touching the floor above my head. This really stretches the spine. Its good to be careful and slow about rolling over and standing up again. But what a difference it makes to my posture. That exaggerated S shape with head and shoulders slumped forward, belly sticking forward, and arse sticking out, goes, and I am standing tall again with all my weight directly over my pelvis where it is supposed to be which rests and relaxes my small delicate spine muscles as they should be.

This is all followed by a good brisk walk with the dog.

I'm doing all this because I'm fifty nine I want to be healthy and actively fit to enjoy my retirement.

Do you know how much of a joy it is to simply bend down and untie my shoe laces without having to kneel? I haven't been able to do that for years.

Edited by Bazza2

I've had years of back pain, no doubt resulting from having work that involved lots of heavy lifting all my life. My last ten years were spent as an instructor in the fire service so we used to wear breathing apparatus (around 40 lbs), where the majority of the weight is carried at the top of the back, several times a month.

In my late fourties I slipped a disc (L4/L5 - can I join the club too please) but was extremely fortunate to get a fortnight at the fire service remedial therapy centre at Penrith. That was a marvelous facility. Through a combination of different therapies, exercises, massage, hydro-therapy etc they stopped the pain in ten days and on the 12th I had a BA set on. minus the cylinder, walking through a mini assault course.

The most important part of the process was the classes we attended as part of the programme designed to educate us as to how our injury occurred, how to live with it, and how to take care of it in the future. This taking care is mostly around lifting techniques (the best person to teach lifting techniques is someone with a bad back), and how to take care of my spine with strengthening and stretching exercises designed to improve the core muscles in the upper and lower abdomen to help support the spine and the tiny damaged muscles around it.

My problems were exacerbated by a motorcycle accident in 2005 that resulted in severe soft tissue injuries to every part of my spine except the upper cervical. Strangely my motor cycle provided the ending of my back pain too. A couple of years ago I had stopped for fuel and as I trickled down the slip road back to the motorway I bent my elbows and leaned forward to stretch my spine out because it was aching. At that moment, while my spine was in an exaggerated C shape, my bike ran through a pot hole with a bump and I felt a "click" in my spine. From then on the daily pain I had been subject to (turning over in bed at night was very painful) began to diminish resulting in no pain in my back at all for over a year now. I think I had something out of place in my spine ever since the accident and it was that, that was causing the constant pain.

I'm back on the exercise regime in a big way now. I'm doing 300 step-ups every day (brilliant exercise for the lower spine), press ups, sit ups, and crunches, all followed by several minutes of stretching for my tight hamstrings which I can also feel stretching the lower spine which has been very stiff and inflexible for several years. I always finish with a minute or two of the exercise I emjoy most.

Lie down on the floor and with every breath out relax a little more until the backs of your legs, bum cheeks, middle back, shoulders, and head are all touching the floor. This brings the spine into a much straighter line and moves all the small muscles in the full length of the back very gently. After a minute or two I gently lift my arms and bring them round over my head until they are touching the floor above my head. This really stretches the spine. Its good to be careful and slow about rolling over and standing up again. But what a difference it makes to my posture. That exaggerated S shape with head and shoulders slumped forward, belly sticking forward, and arse sticking out, goes, and I am standing tall again with all my weight directly over my pelvis where it is supposed to be which rests and relaxes my small delicate spine muscles as they should be.

This is all followed by a good brisk walk with the dog.

I'm doing all this because I'm fifty nine I want to be healthy and actively fit to enjoy my retirement.

Do you know how much of a joy it is to simply bend down and untie my shoe laces without having to kneel? I haven't been able to do that for years.

Good post, mate. I am same age as you and can't tie my shoe laces. Will try your exercises. Do you do the step ups on an ordinary exercise step? Cheers.

A bit of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted though. Don't the fire service teach lifting techniques and back care to firefighters before they have a slipped disc?

Good post, mate. I am same age as you and can't tie my shoe laces. Will try your exercises. Do you do the step ups on an ordinary exercise step? Cheers.

I use one of those old fashioned leather pouffes, you know - red and black with a black and white square pattern on the top. It stands eleven inches high. If you live in a house you can use stairs, though you might wear out the carpet. Stairs is harder exercise though because there's no down between the ups.

Go gently at first with step ups for the first week I wouldn't do more than 50 a day and even then you can expect lactic acid pain on the second and third days. After a week or two you can up it to a 100. Increase your workrate slowly over a period of weeks. Oh and have a couple of days off all exercises and stretches for a couple of days every week.

By the way - if you've got high blood pressure like I have and most blokes our age - it might be worth checking with your GP first. My hypertension is only slight so I just took it gently and I have my own BP monitor. Twenty odd quid off Amazon

A bit of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted though. Don't the fire service teach lifting techniques and back care to firefighters before they have a slipped disc?

They do now

When I first started there was very little attention paid to good lifting techniques

I use one of those old fashioned leather pouffes, you know - red and black with a black and white square pattern on the top. It stands eleven inches high. If you live in a house you can use stairs, though you might wear out the carpet. Stairs is harder exercise though because there's no down between the ups.

Go gently at first with step ups for the first week I wouldn't do more than 50 a day and even then you can expect lactic acid pain on the second and third days. After a week or two you can up it to a 100. Increase your workrate slowly over a period of weeks. Oh and have a couple of days off all exercises and stretches for a couple of days every week.

By the way - if you've got high blood pressure like I have and most blokes our age - it might be worth checking with your GP first. My hypertension is only slight so I just took it gently and I have my own BP monitor. Twenty odd quid off Amazon

They do now

When I first started there was very little attention paid to good lifting techniques

Thanks Bazza, will deffo give that a go :)

About 25 years ago we did some wiring work at the fire brigade training centre in Lancashire. The firermen there were superb guys, and one put a BA kit on me one day. I was amazed at the weight of it.They also showed us how to escape from burning buildings in their mock up burning buildings etc. One of the best jobs I ever worked on. I have the utmost respect for our fire (and other) services.

That relaxation of the spine is part of "Alexander technique" I reccomend it. Try and get on a short course.

I had a prolapsed disk L5/S1 that crippled me for years, until it totally burst, a ride in the air ambulance, and an emergency operation cured that. Just to make clear I am talking from experience.

Edited by onionbargee