CRT enforce modern license display for historic boats

c c

Featured Posts

ANPR or plate / barcode readers are better as they can detcet a boat passing with no iD. Gauging numbers and the like have always been displayed on boats I cannot see the issue with displaying CRT plates now. Did FMC have a uprising cos they had to paint the Thames watermans number on every boat?

Do you mean plates or numbers Laurence? I have no problem displaying the number, and do so, as illustated in post no. 113, but I do object to the horrible flimsy pressed aluminium plates which require me to drill holes in the cabin sides in order to fit them.

Edited by David Schweizer

Could they not be held on by the same form of sticky pad as many car number plates are?

The rear number plate held on using them on our new FIAT fell off the day after we bought it. It is now screwed on like the one on the front.

Make of that what you will.

The rear number plate held on using them on our new FIAT fell off the day after we bought it. It is now screwed on like the one on the front.

My experience is the opposite. I had to remove the number plate from a caravan which was held on by 3 pads. It was B****y hard work.

My experience is the opposite. I had to remove the number plate from a caravan which was held on by 3 pads. It was B****y hard work.

The ones stolen from our previous FIAT 500 came off easy enough. Hence stick on plates for cars are not generally recommended, unless they are the type that break up as you remove them.

Try fishing line or the line used in garden strimmers next time, it works a treat.

The ones stolen from our previous FIAT 500 came off easy enough. Hence stick on plates for cars are not generally recommended, unless they are the type that break up as you remove them.

Try fishing line or the line used in garden strimmers next time, it works a treat.

A screw driver is easier IMO so screwing them on is no safer than sticking them on is it?

Edited by Jerra

A screw driver is easier IMO so screwing them on is no safer than sticking them on is it?

I'm just relaying what the police said to us when ours were stolen - just having them stuck on means they can be removed without the need for anybody to carry tools of any sort, or somebody spontaneously deciding to nick them. Ours are now fixed with both tape and screws.

Using screws also takes that little bit longer which can be a small deterrent. Ideally one in each corner (which funny enough is how our boat index plates are fixed but with rivets).

Do you mean plates or numbers Laurence? I have no problem displaying the number, and do so, as illustated in post no. 113, but I do object to the horrible flimsy pressed aluminium plates which require me to drill holes in the cabin sides in order to fit them.

Albion came with the plates visible in the photos below. I know they are not vintage or historical in any way, but they were quite in keeping with the 'traditional style' of the boat.

I don't know where the plates were bought or made, but in my opinion the make a nice alternative on 'older' boats to the orrible' aluminium BW plate or to painting for anyone who may wish not to do that for some reason. I never tried to read one from the opposite side of the cut though, so I'm not sure if they'd satisfy CRT data checkers.

Does anyone know if you can still by them today? I wondered if the may have come from Laurence's Boatmans Cabin days?

9512883990_8bb526c7af_b_zpsyjkbtb3h.jpg

9512883094_7b8e17872c_b_zpswtzllpzd.jpg

They are often attached with ant-vandal type screws - the ones where the screwdriver only works in the "doing up" direction, and you have to resort to more destructive means to remove them.

I never tried to read one from the opposite side of the cut though, so I'm not sure if they'd satisfy CRT data checkers.

If they are going to get serious in their requirements, I can easily imagine those might fail an acceptability test/

However picked out in black and white, as per the advert Dan has pointed to, they are considerably more legible.

$_57.JPG

£90 + carriage for a set is a bit of a deterrent, though.

Also on a boat like "Sickle" the most "pseudo authentic" location would be on the engine room front, Again I can see if they now consider this important they might say that was no good, as it can't be read from the side. I think attacking these to the cabinside of an unconverted GUCCCo boat would probably look just as out of place as painting the number on.

Edited by alan_fincher

I really can't see what all the fuss is about. I don't think CART has specified that the number must be one of those aluminium plates that Alan so dislikes.

There might be a slight argument for having standard issue plates since I suppose it's theoretically possible for someone to paint the wrong number on (a dyslexic sign writer, perhaps).

In addition to a painted index number I've got several brass plaques, including the HNBC one, attached to my boats, so I'm not bothered if I have to add another non historic bit to the boats somewhere.

What really worries me is that this argument drives a wedge between historic boat owners and the the rest of the boating community.

There are some things that are important to historic boat owners - deep channels and pinch points, for example, and we might get a sympathetic ear from other boaters if we ask CART for help with these. It's all a question of chosing which battle is worth fighting. I certainly don't want to get all worked up about index plates.

As a footnote. Greek police unscrew the licence plates of motorists who have infringed traffic regulations or who haven't paid their road tax. Anybody then driving without a licence plate is then prosecuted. Now there's a thought.

edited to remove a weird double post.

Edited by koukouvagia

I really can't see what all the fuss is about. I don't think CART has specified that the number must be one of those aluminium plates that Alan so dislikes.

I don't believe I have indicated a strong dislike for them, have I?

We have set on Chalice,(albeit propped up in windows), and I'll probably buy some for Flamingo, (where I can do the same).

I'm not sure what I would do with a set for Sickle though that doesn't involve drilling holes through the cabin, which I really do not wish to do.

I think it is probably David S that has indicated a greater dislike of the pressed plates?

As I have said already, I'm sorry anything I have posted has ended up in the "historic" related thread started by canalchef. I wish I had put it in the more generic thread, because I think it applies to all.

I now have come down to a position that it is reasonable for CRT to ask everybody to have the number displayed, particularly if it is actually as a precursor to removing the requirement for paper "discs". However the communication did not state that prospect as their motive, but instead gave spurious reason that imply that without them other third parties, (not CRT staff), may assume we are unlicensed and potentially "free loading". That in my view was a very poor communication - there is no requirement for me to identify myself or my license status to anybody but CRT, and trying to suggest otherwise does them no favours. About time they concentrated on those not paying, rather than those that are!

But how would you add CRT index numbers to "Sickle", if you owned it? I really can't decide, particularly as they have made no statement about what they might accept as an ongoing solution. If I spent £90 and put fake BCN plates above the back end rail, will they then be happy, or will I continue to get emails that say they are not? I really don't know - I'm not deliberately being awkward - it would help if they were honest about their longer term intentions!

• Greenie 1

I agree with Alan. I am by no means a CaRT basher, but they do not help themselves by sending out poorly constructed letters which do not adequately explain the reasons for a particular requirement. Perhaps they need to visit the possibility of all public announcements being passed over the desk of the Area Manager for approval before they are sent out.

using the revised terms and conditions as a guide as to how the trust embraces new and existing customers I wouldn't hold your breath that communications will improve. On the other hand we now have a new head of customer service......

"I'm not sure what I would do with a set for Sickle though that doesn't involve drilling holes through the cabin, which I really do not wish to do".

"But how would you add CRT index numbers to "Sickle", if you owned it? I really can't decide

Alan we have had just one plate fixed centrally on the engine room bulkhead just under where the plank rest is for all the years I have had "Barnet", no one has ever complained or mentioned we should have two. In that position its clearly visible.

I too was against screws, so we used automotive double sided adhesive foam strip to mount it, this is actually stronger than 4 screws!

(snipped)

But how would you add CRT index numbers to "Sickle", if you owned it? I really can't decide, particularly as they have made no statement about what they might accept as an ongoing solution.

(snipped)

First, ask them. Get what they require in writing - font size etc. (I doubt they'll be fussed). And if they don't respond - you choose. Paint is easily changed.

If they require just a number that's readable -

BW%20number%20TYCHO%20Small_zps6fvqsqdm.

A lot cheaper than fake plates that would never have been affixed in the first place.

Simple.

First, ask them. Get what they require in writing - font size etc. (I doubt they'll be fussed). And if they don't respond - you choose. Paint is easily changed.

If they require just a number that's readable -

BW%20number%20TYCHO%20Small_zps6fvqsqdm.

:tongue in cheek: Thanks! "69893" - that's a good number, with lots of curvy bits - I'll use your suggestion :end tongue in cheek":

Seriously though, I think you have prompted me to put the actual question to them, before changing anything. I don't actually think an argument that they have accepted any particular solution for yeas, (e.g. Laurence's single plate on the front), is proiof they will continue to do so. If no complaint up until now indicates "acceptance" they have accepted up until now that "Sickle" only has its index number on the displayed licences, but are clearly no longer prepared to. I'll ask them, I think.

As others I'm sure have commented this is a precursor to moving away from the license disc, I think the new hand helds and software being introduced are geared more to recoding index numbers which generally are easier to see from the bank.

As others I'm sure have commented this is a precursor to moving away from the license disc, I think the new hand helds and software being introduced are geared more to recoding index numbers which generally are easier to see from the bank.

So sorry, for about the 4th time then, (from me), why not say that in the email, as people would probably be far more likely to accept that if you plan to dispense with paper "discs" that the Index number then needs to be on the boat itself.

But it doesn't mention this aim - rather it suggests that we need to stop other (non CRT) people from badging us as "freeloaders", (my word, but that is very clearly the flavour).

I'm persuaded after sensible debate that I need to display the numbers, and if you get rid of the paper, it becomes essential, (which arguably it has never been until you do abandon "paper").

It's another crap bit of communication - but something they regularly excel at.

(Mind you the last bit of crap communication I objected to, they sent me over £200 of refund of prompt payment discount as a goodwill gesture - perhaps I should try again!)

Hello!

It says in tne letter that CRT also supply self adhesive number plates.

No screws no metal reaction........

Or you could get your local sign shop to make a set of vinyl numbers with the old BW logo on it.

No not the weedy bridgehole one.

You can then stick them anywhere you fancy.

Edited by Loddon

Hello!

It says in tne letter that CRT also supply self adhesive number plates.

No screws no metal reaction........

Or you could get your local sign shop to make a set of vinyl numbers with the old BW logo on it.

No not the weedy bridgehole one.

You can then stick them anywhere you fancy.

I don't actually want anything "stuck" onto the cabin paintwork. Water and grime will eventually find its way underneath and then you get rust, which is why I took the nasty aluminium things off our boat almost as soon as we bought her, and had the number painted on. They were fixed with sealant, which had degraded and was letting water in but not allowing it to escape very well.