Moorings, boats an all that - Back in hot water?

ernie_the_fish

Featured Posts

Well, heres a thing, our boat is quite dry, I havent bothered with much heating the past few days as its been so warm and the only sign of condensation is on one bedroom window. suprising given the amount of rain and possible wet clothes inside.

as for when you get older, I cant say from experience as Im still a whipper snapper, but I know my mum started to struggle a bit climbing on and off when they were mooring up as she was approaching 50. my folks boat was quite high up though and it was a big step down to most pontoons or bank sides. It might have been more to do with the fact she put on a fair bit of weight rather than age though. I know my grandparents were still able to enjoy boating up to their early 70's. And I think had they had a chance to experience a narrowboat they might have had a few more years of enjoyment. Narrowboats seem so much easier, quite low down and easy to step on and off of. I have on and off arthritis in one of my knees and yes it causes me problems climbing up on the roof but Im not worried about it too much, where theres a will theres a way.

as with any boat, you cant rush things, so pulling one along the side with a rope takes time and its not so hard to move really. ( as long as you dont have the wind against you) so Id say, it doesnt really matter your age, strength or gender, its mostly technique that helps with boat handling.

lugging gas bottles can be hard work, get a decent trolley for that and if you have a pump out toilet then you never have to carry heavy containers around to elsan points. and if you do need to take a container anywhere, again, use a trolley.

the folding type can be invaluable.

I have no idea about residential moorings in cambridge, so cant comment on that.