CRT are thy taking notice or just turning a blind eye? - sunk boat with no action taken

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

On a serious point, part (5) of section 8 of the 1983 act states:

"Notwithstanding the provisions of this section the Board may at any time move without notice a relevant craft if it be an obstruction or a source of danger."
This boat is both an obstruction and a source of danger. They ought to move it, irrespective of insurance/ownership issues.

This is the situation today, the boat has slipped towards the towpath and passing it now will be very difficult, CRT have done nothing as far as I can see, I was in Broad St depot this morning and not even a notice is posted there.

gallery_5000_522_163183.jpg

gallery_5000_522_40454.jpg

WILL KEEP YOU POSTED

CRT only have just a skeleton staff, and in the winter they are all on the maintaince programme. If boats can get round this then they ain't bothered, they will see it as the insurance companies or owners problem. CRT is run by supermarket managers who have no pride in the canals, its just a business.

There was a burnt out plastic cruiser sunk round my neck of the woods for maybe a year.

CRT only have just a skeleton staff, and in the winter they are all on the maintaince programme. If boats can get round this then they ain't bothered, they will see it as the insurance companies or owners problem. CRT is run by supermarket managers who have no pride in the canals, its just a business.

There was a burnt out plastic cruiser sunk round my neck of the woods for maybe a year.

True. A few years ago I was on Alton loaded when a boat sank mid channel near Hall Green stop lock. I couldn't get through the gap but all the hire boats could.

I contacted BW, as was, but no attendance for two days. Eventually I was forced to have a run at the gap knowing full well what would happen. rolleyes.gif When I phoned them to say I was well stuck and boats were now queuing, it took them 45 minute to attend.

George ex nb Alton retired

Is this the boat that C&RT said they had tried to move but couldn't because it's 'grounded', and were now going to check daily to ensure that it hasn't moved ?

What a bunch of clowns

This is the situation today, the boat has slipped towards the towpath and passing it now will be very difficult

I thought I had heard of sunken boats moving before

Richard

I thought I had heard of sunken boats moving before

Richard

You're quite right, they should have used a lot more of the red and white hazard tape to stop it from slipping a couple of feet further into the channel. Do you think it's moved far enough to be in a different 'place' now, or will they still have to serve a Patrol Notice on it for overstaying ?

This is the situation today, the boat has slipped towards the towpath and passing it now will be very difficult, CRT have done nothing as far as I can see, I was in Broad St depot this morning and not even a notice is posted there.gallery_5000_522_163183.jpggallery_5000_522_40454.jpgWILL KEEP YOU POSTED

OMG, the leaking pollutants have caused the canal to solidify! :)

There are a couple of assumptions being drawn about this boat which I am not sure are backed up by facts, unless someone can come forward to verify them. The first assumption seems to be that the relevant parties know who the boat owner actually is, do we know this for certain? We are told that 'he' regularly moors in this area but that doesn't mean that we know who 'he' is. The second assumption is that the boat has insurance, again do we know this for a fact? Do we even know if it was licenced? (the means by which CRT would know the owner).

I was curious about this boat when I first saw this thread since I posted on 5th January on another thread that there was a boat moored by Olinthus bridge which wasn't moored to the bank in that it had a chain over the boats into the water and a rope over the stern into the water, but no mooring line to the bank. I'd be interested to know if this is the same boat. Unfortunately due to the fire damage it is difficult to tell but if anyone knows the name of this sunken boat, I'd recognise if I saw it. The curious bit is if it is the same boat as I saw moored, it raises the question of how the arsonist got aboard the boat since I can't see the average yob wading into a freezing cold canal to set fire to a boat.

Perhaps the lack of enthusiam from CRT for recovery of the boat is if they have no owner details (and it is currently on a VERY lightly used piece of frozen canal) they will have to carry the cost of recovery and once they've raised it they will then have to store it somewhere, or do something else with it. From our experience of going around that part of the BCN this winter, the number of boaters inconvenienced by this wreck will probably be in single figures!

There are a couple of assumptions being drawn about this boat which I am not sure are backed up by facts, unless someone can come forward to verify them. The first assumption seems to be that the relevant parties know who the boat owner actually is, do we know this for certain? We are told that 'he' regularly moors in this area but that doesn't mean that we know who 'he' is. The second assumption is that the boat has insurance, again do we know this for a fact? Do we even know if it was licenced? (the means by which CRT would know the owner).

I was curious about this boat when I first saw this thread since I posted on 5th January on another thread that there was a boat moored by Olinthus bridge which wasn't moored to the bank in that it had a chain over the boats into the water and a rope over the stern into the water, but no mooring line to the bank. I'd be interested to know if this is the same boat. Unfortunately due to the fire damage it is difficult to tell but if anyone knows the name of this sunken boat, I'd recognise if I saw it. The curious bit is if it is the same boat as I saw moored, it raises the question of how the arsonist got aboard the boat since I can't see the average yob wading into a freezing cold canal to set fire to a boat.

Perhaps the lack of enthusiam from CRT for recovery of the boat is if they have no owner details (and it is currently on a VERY lightly used piece of frozen canal) they will have to carry the cost of recovery and once they've raised it they will then have to store it somewhere, or do something else with it. From our experience of going around that part of the BCN this winter, the number of boaters inconvenienced by this wreck will probably be in single figures!

There's no assumption needed. The cut is obstructed, it's CRT's job to sort it. So far they haven't.

There's no assumption needed. The cut is obstructed, it's CRT's job to sort it. So far they haven't.

Bigger fish to fry, like persecuting historic boat owners for not displaying the registration numbers of their licenced craft in the prescribed size and format.

MtB

Bigger fish to fry, like persecuting historic boat owners for not displaying the registration numbers of their licenced craft in the prescribed size and format.

MtB

You should not joke about such things. It's an £18 fine and also a serious breach of T&C's for which the licence can be taken away.

I wonder what counts as a trivial breach....

You should not joke about such things. It's an £18 fine and also a serious breach of T&C's for which the licence can be taken away.

Are you SURE?

Nigel would have us believe the T&Cs are optional and provided the boat has insurance, a BSS and <something else wot I can't remember> CRT are obliged to issue a licence.

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I wonder what counts as a trivial breach....

Are you SURE?

Nigel would have us believe the T&Cs are optional and provided the boat has insurance, a BSS and <something else wot I can't remember> CRT are obliged to issue a licence.

MtB

The Trust has used its alledged powers under s.43(3) of the Transport Act 1962 to amend a susequent Act of Parliment. In regard to the historic boat owner, it has taken a clause in an Act and replaced it with an amended version in its own T&Cs. It has replaced an £18 fine with the ability to remove a licence.

However, Nigel is correct because CaRT has stopped short of claiming power to alter the 1995 Act such that an owner can not simply reapply.

I am informed that the Trust intends to close the loophole of boaters owning more than one boat by ammending its T&Cs to enable it seize all boats for any contravention of its T&Cs.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

I am informed that the Trust intends to close the loophole of boaters owning more than one boat by ammending its T&Cs to enable it seize all boats for any contravention of its T&Cs.

Shouldn't that read " in an attempt to con boaters into thinking we can lawfully seize . . . " . ?