BMC 1.5 spill rail replacement

Bloomsberry

Featured Posts

Got a leak on my BMC 1.5 spill rail at a connection to one of the injectors. I've removing the banjo bolt, cleaned the mating faces, replaced the copper washers and tightened the banjo bolt as much as I dare.

However the leak is still there and I managed to locate the cause by placing the edge of an absorbant tissue at various locations around the connection.

The leak occurs above the bottom washer and there's no evidence of any diesel at the top washer either but appears to come from the side of the spill rail so can only assume this is the cause.

The spill rail has the following markings - 'Rubber Hose AT 04'.

I've had a look at the Calcutt website and the only spill rail they have is for a BMC 1.8 but they also have a spill rail conversion kit that allows a BMC 1.8 spill rail to be used on a BMC 1.5.

Have found a recent thread by StephenA that seems to involve using the BMC 1.8 rail , conversion kit and an M10 banjo to 1/8 BSP connection from Ebay.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=71410

Is this the only solution ?

What connection have you got on the end of the spill rail?

Richard

Hi Richard,

Here is a photo of the spill rail end connection, the banjo bolt is bigger than the ones on the injectors, which are 5/16.

http://tinyurl.com/pudz6bf

Midland Chandlers do a replacement spill rail for BMC 1.5/1.8 , code EP-020 . They don't give any size details though.

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Catalogue/ProductDetail/spillrail-steel-with-threaded-end-bango?productID=bae02479-414e-4126-bb7d-1405172932f0&catalogueLevelItemID=06bda4c6-9fc0-4f2a-94e2-07db334a44c2

Not sure how easy it is to bend the rail to fit onto the filter though.

I needed a new spill rail on my 2.2 BMC in my previous boat, moored on the Broads so just went to my local boatyard and they made one up for me in the appropriate rubber, cost was £25-00, it worked just fine and no issues with BSS.

Phil

Yes, that's fine with the BSS as long as the hose is marked with the correct standard and the metal fittings have barbs

Richard

The rail is pretty soft, and that looks like a fairly standard installation. The Midland Chandlers one should do the job

Richard

Hi Richard,

I got the rail this afternoon and managed to fit it ok. The holes didn't quite line up so I had to bend the rail a bit to get it to fit.

The diesel is still isolated as I may not be back at the boat for the next couple of days and didn't want to return to a bilge full of diesel. I'm pretty confident it should be ok though.

Thanks for you help and thanks to Phil for an alternative suggestion.