Borg Warner gearbox

Up-Side-Down

Featured Posts

I know someone with a velvet drive on a 6.75l Leyland diesel, he's pleased with it. Been on the boat since the early 70's with no rebuilds.

We have one in a somewhat less taxing installation on the back of a 1.5 BMC. Its a lovely smooth box.

Maintenance has consisted of a yearly oil change and check of the oil screen. When I fitted an overhauled engine I replaced the drive plate with an R&D unit, the original was quite hard to find.

They are a hydraulic box with multi plate clutch pack for forwards and reverse.

Bits are not cheap but are long lasting.

Having a Borg Warner box is a big plus in my opinion.

Edited by gazza

Bits are not cheap but are long lasting.

Just as well. A Velvet Drive is the only gearbox I haven't been able to fix - no parts available anywhere. This was an early model Velvet Drive, probably from the 1970s

Richard

Just as well. A Velvet Drive is the only gearbox I haven't been able to fix - no parts available anywhere. This was an early model Velvet Drive, probably from the 1970s

Richard

Plenty on eBay, although most from the USA. ASAP supplies list a fair few bits as well.

Can anyone comment on the longevity of a Borg Warner gearbox when mated to a traditional Lister engine? Is it a robust unit? Do they last as well as, say, a PRM unit? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Not a bad unit,one thing they cannot do is run in reverse for long periods at full power.

So the prop rotation has to be correct for the forward gear.

A PRM 260 can run in either rotation.

CT

Not a bad unit,one thing they cannot do is run in reverse for long periods at full power.

So the prop rotation has to be correct for the forward gear.

A PRM 260 can run in either rotation.

CT

Sort of.

The pump must be indexed for correct prop rotation.

This is achieved by changing the position of the pump housing in the bell housing.

Thus two identical boxes can be used in twin engine installation with contra rotating props.

It depends on what vintage it is.

When our boat was new in 1991, Borg Warner had just brought out a small Velvet Drive box specifically targeted at UK canal boats. Unfortunately we bought one.

It started to get noisy after 6 months, and to rattle after 12 months. By 18 months it was almost unusable and the man from Borg Warner took one look and said how lucky we were to have made it last for so long, adding that most people had returned theirs for a full refund under guarantee.

Eventually they settled for giving us 50% of our money back, on the basis that by then (after 6 months of argument) we had had 2 years of life from it which was half of the life it had been designed for!

Yes, they are OK. I'd prefer a PRM myself

I'm curious about why you are asking. Have you found a boat with one, or are you thinking of fitting one to a Lister?

Richard

A friend has the chance to buy a nicely rebuilt HW2 with a Borg Warner 'box fitted (to pop in a tug he's having built) and I was wondering whether there were any serious reasons for not considering this combination - being more familiar with the PRM 'box.