Springer raw material

Proper Job

Featured Posts

Not so much bottled as bagged!

The trouble with Towns gas is that its Calorific Value is approx 50% of Natural Gas hence the conversion to re-jet all appliances in the late 60's early 70's.. Big bottles needed.

Nope.

If you get the concentration high enough so that there is no oxygen, then you can asphixiate somebody, but if I breathe a 50/50 ,mix of natural gas and air, I won't die (unless I happen to explode).

You won't even explode. As Mark99 pointed out earlier, the upper and lower explosive limits of concentration are 5% and 15%. Your 50% concentration of gas happens to be outside this rather narrow limit so won't explode.

Town Gas is a mix of gas and Carbon Monoxide. If I breath a 50/50 mix of town gas and air, 25% of what I am breathing is Carbon Monoxide.

250,000 ppm CO would kill me VERY rapidly!

The thing a lot of peeps fail the grasp about CO is that it makes a perfectly good fuel in it's own right. It burns beautifully just like methane, propane, butane etc.

MtB

Not so much bottled as bagged!

My late mother, who worked in the offices of East Midland Transport during WW2, recalled buses carrying what she described as huge sausage-shaped gas containers on their roofs. I am not sure if buses of that era normally ran on petrol or diesel, but some of theirs were converted to use gas propulsion.

You won't even explode. As Mark99 pointed out earlier, the upper and lower explosive limits of concentration are 5% and 15%. Your 50% concentration of gas happens to be outside this rather narrow limit so won't explode.

The thing a lot of peeps fail the grasp about CO is that it makes a perfectly good fuel in it's own right. It burns beautifully just like methane, propane, butane etc.

MtB

Is the gas produced when you gasify wood?

Edited by cuthound

Is the gas produced when you gasify wood?

I'm pretty sure that any carbon based material when 'baked' at the correct temperature will give off a carbon based gas that can then be stored and burnt at a later time..

Not sure about diamonds ;)

MtB

Its flammable range is actually closer to acetylene than anything else. So yes, it makes a more than adequate fuel in its own right

My late mother, who worked in the offices of East Midland Transport during WW2, recalled buses carrying what she described as huge sausage-shaped gas containers on their roofs. I am not sure if buses of that era normally ran on petrol or diesel, but some of theirs were converted to use gas propulsion.

During periods of rationing and shortages of fuel supply; WW1, WW2.

I am profoundly relieved!

MtB

Next time my CO alarm goes off, rather than open all of the doors and windows I'll do a controlled evacuation through a scrubber and recover the carbon ;)

All need now is for Biz to knock something up laugh.png

Next time my CO alarm goes off, rather than open all of the doors and windows I'll do a controlled evacuation through a scrubber and recover the carbon wink.png

All need now is for Biz to knock something up laugh.png

You will set off his wheezes again.

Edited by mango