Llangollen hire?

Sbg

Featured Posts

Hi all. Sadly we sold our boat last year, but am planning a short hire with some friends. We really fancy the Llangollen and taking in the Pontycyllite aquaduct but will probably be limited to 4 days (boo!)

Any advice regarding choice of hire base and route would be most welcome!

I have hired a few times on the Llangollen. If you're only going out for 4 days I would suggest that you hire from Anglo-Welsh at Trevor or Black Prince at Chirk. Anglo-welsh has a wonderful location, being at one end of the Poncywotsit aqueduct. Black prince are only a few miles away--I found the boats better and the staff more helpful so I would choose them again but things may have changed in the last few years.

If you are travelling up from Lincoln I would head for Trevor and aim to get there a couple of hours early--the motorways can quickly back up even without an accident. There is a pub [The Telford] that overlooks the end of the aqueduct--have a meal there and a walk over the aqueduct before you go to your hire base. Visitor moorings are practically none existent at the aqueduct,[ one advantage you get if you hire from Anglo-welsh].There are better pubs to eat at but the location can't be bettered.

I'd also look to take a day on the Montgomery. You need to book passage but it is worth the effort and very peaceful after the bustle on the main line. A nice pub at the end as well [i want to say the Navigation at Maesbury ?]

It is a nice canal, you'll enjoy it

There's loads. Off the top of my head:

Anglo Welsh - Trevor

Black Prince - Chirk

Maestermyn Boats

Bettisfield Boats

ABC/ukboathire.com - Ellesmere and Whitchurch

I think those are the ones "above" Grindley Brook. Once you start to consider those below Grindley Brook, then its a week's cruise to Llangollen rather than 4 days or less, due to the extra locks. But there's also hire boats from Wrenbury and then you're onto the SU, where there's Venetian, Anglo Welsh (Bunbury), Chas Hardern (Beeston), a single boat at Tattenhall (can't remember the name), Cheshire Cat at Overwater, then a bit further afield Middlewich narrowboats and Andersen Boats (both from Middlewich).

There's probably one or two I've missed as well.

• 2 weeks later...