Shurflo Aqua KIng

Featured Posts

Just fitted a new Shurlo to the boat. Went in fine but a strange bi-product is the effect it is having on the water heater (Paloma) in that a constant stream of hot water cannot be achieved. It starts warm and heats up nicely as one would expect but then the pump starts to "shunt" and the temperature of the water falls off. I do have an accumulator tank.

I imagine this might be down to matching the pump pressure to the Paloma but if this is the case how? Help appreciated.

Thanks

Colin

Does your system have an accumulator fitted? If not it may need one as Shurflo pumps do in my experience. Your previous pump may not have required one, depending on its type.

The cold water will likely be caused by the heater detecting low water pressure and shutting down for safety.

See other threads on here about similar issues.

If you get an accumulator make sure its for a potable water system (white or blue normally). The others, usually red, fail quickly in clean water systems. They rely on corrosion inhibitors to stop them corroding internally, but you can't have these in a system connected to drinking water.

System does have an accumulator, although I understand the Shureflo does not have to have one.

Quite so. And the pump should throb regularly and give a steady flow from the Paloma. If you mess with the pressure switch adjustment count the turns on the screw so you can return it to the factory setting.

Could it be the accumulator that is the problem? Perhaps it needs pumping up a little? What happens now is:

Turn on hot water tap

Water flows and Paloma fires up, delivering hot water.

Initially there is no pump action - the pressure from the accumulator drives the water pressure

After a short while (seconds) pump kicks in and runs smoothly, hot water continues to flow and grow hotter

Pump then starts to "pulse" and whilst the Paloma stays fired up the temperature of the water drops.

Could it be the accumulator that is the problem? Perhaps it needs pumping up a little? What happens now is:

Turn on hot water tap

Water flows and Paloma fires up, delivering hot water.

Initially there is no pump action - the pressure from the accumulator drives the water pressure

After a short while (seconds) pump kicks in and runs smoothly, hot water continues to flow and grow hotter

Pump then starts to "pulse" and whilst the Paloma stays fired up the temperature of the water drops.

Could be but without the accumulator the pump just keeps up a steady throb without the sudden burst of throbs as the pressure drops as with a accumulator. I have a tap on my accumulators spur to cut it out when I use the Paloma. My accumulator is home made, made from a Champagne bottle with a half blown up balloon inside, works exactly the same as a bought one though.

I suspect the pump cut in pressure is below the min operating pressure of the Paloma.

Is the accumulator correctly pressurised? Also is there a calorifier, if so what pressure is the PRV?

Some thoughts and ideas in this recent post:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=73356#entry1493601

Bit tricky to give a specific answer without more details.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

I have found that the versions of the pumps which claim not to need an accumulator always seem to cause problems similar to this, and they certainly don't like it if you do have an accumulator. I use an external pressure switch and bypass the pump's own switch, all the problems then disappear.

My accumulator is home made, made from a Champagne bottle with a half blown up balloon inside, works exactly the same as a bought one though.

Forgot to ask:

How do you secure the water pipe to your champagne bottle/ballon combo?

Poke the balloon into the bottle leaving the neck sticking out, blow it up quite hard, tie a knot in the neck and poke it in .

Such brilliance should not go unrewarded. Greenie.

I now have the balloon. What brand of champagne was it? And is it 15mm plastic pipe?