Equipment for going to sea

sirweste

Featured Posts

To be more precise you need something rather less than half of two tides . . . a good portion of the ebb when outbound and about the same for the flood inbound.

With access being restricted to a little over three hours either side of high water in both rivers.

With access being restricted to a little over three hours either side of high water in both rivers.

Yes, so outbound from one a bit before half tide (ebb) and inbound in the other a bit after half tide (flood), with half tide being one quarter of one tide cycle and occurring around three hours either side of low water.

This has got a bit off topic now, but just to point out that the in not wanting to cross The Wash as a few have mentioned in reference to time.

A very rough estimate of distances looks like it would be around 25km from Kings Lynn (setting off in the dark from Somewhere near Denver) to a point a bit up the Nene.

This has got a bit off topic now, but just to point out that the in not wanting to cross The Wash as a few have mentioned in reference to time.

A very rough estimate of distances looks like it would be around 25km from Kings Lynn (setting off in the dark from Somewhere near Denver) to a point a bit up the Nene.

Your first safe mooring up the Nene is at Wisbech, unless you stop on the pilot mooring at Sutton Bridge. You can't just stop "a bit up the Nene"

ETA: There are a few mooring buoys at buoy 4 but that is still in the Wash.

Edited by Naughty Cal

It's the best part of 14 - 15 miles from Denver to Kings Lynn and I think something like 3 -4 miles from Kings Lynn to the outer end of Lynn Cut. Once out of the Cut it used to be, and almost certainly still is, necessary to head in a roughly NNW direction for several miles before coming round to a South Westerly and then more Southerly heading for the mouth of the Nene. I think your 25 km estimate is very much on the low side, and I would advise against coming down the Ouse from Denver in the dark.

• Greenie 1

I appreciate that pal - but not knowing that I couldn't reference it, and hence "A very rough estimate"

So +10km then

Anyway, like I said it's off topic anyhow

Why is it off topic?

You have also not taken account of going out into the Lynn channel. You can't just cut across the sand banks!

You will have to follow the channel markers out of one channel and into the next.

This website shows the current charts and depths.

http://www.portauthoritykingslynn.fsnet.co.uk/

ETA: Crossed posts with Tony rolleyes.gif

Edited by Naughty Cal

Because it's not about Equipment...the topic. I'm not interested in discussing it further anyway, your replies irritate me, as alot of forum posts do.

Anyhow, lots of info, looking forward to speaking to a few pilots try and get this adventure rolling. Exciting stuff.

Back on topic, would it be possible to rent a "donkey engine" - which I'm led to believe is a back-up outboard?

Cheers

• Greenie 1

Because it's not about Equipment...the topic. I'm not interested in discussing it further anyway, your replies irritate me, as alot of forum posts do.

Anyhow, lots of info, looking forward to speaking to a few pilots try and get this adventure rolling. Exciting stuff.

Back on topic, would it be possible to rent a "donkey engine" - which I'm led to believe is a back-up outboard?

Cheers

If it's just equipment that you want advice about, you should include a big bucketful of caution and common sense near the top of your list.

• Greenie 1

Daryl will take you if he thinks it's safe, if he doesn't he won't no matter how equipped you are.

Edited by starman, Today, 05:38 PM.

one of my first lessons as a new Cadet was to never unpack your case when you join a strange ship until you are happy that it is safe, just in case you decide to not sign on!

Because it's not about Equipment...the topic. I'm not interested in discussing it further anyway, your replies irritate me, as a lot of forum posts do.

Cheers

I'd ignore post #14 as well as it is not about equipment, the COLREGS might possibly be on the boring side.

Edited by Ray T

This post is a bit like the old joke where a guy asked for directions says 'if I was going there, I wouldn't be starting from here'!

If I wanted to know what equipment I needed to go to sea, I wouldn't start with a narrowboat. boat.gif

On the plus side, one of the things you should do before proceding to sea is make sure someone knows you're going so they can keep an eye on your progress. There'll be plenty of folk here watching with interest now, though perhaps not for the right reasons! help.gif

A large Chinese Wok will make an excellent vely glood lifeboat. One with the two handles which can be bent up a bit for oars to pass through. Steel ones are the best as after a while it'll start going rusty and you can scrape off the rust to eat, ''iron supplement''. Robin Knox Johnson when adrift in his rubber dinghy scraped the rust from the fishing hooks in the boats survival kit to eat which helped keep his strength up.

Your complete survival kit including a big box of maroons and telescopic oars can be kept all nice and cosy in the Wok already to go. Choose one with a nice domed lid it will keep you dry when it rains. closedeyes.gif

Without wanting to be too down on your plans, the very fact that you have had to ask the question suggests you would be better off on the back of a lorry.

As long as he makes doubly sure he can't fall off it!

We started from King's Lynn and ended up towing the other nb that was with us very soon after as his engine over heated. Otherwise, apart from the seals it was a boring trip with not much to see.

Were those the oil seals on the engine?

If only this topic had been headed 'Equipment needed for crossing the Wash, maybe all you know-it-alls out there may have been kinder and less rude to the OP. Sometimes this forum does not come over in a positive light.

I believe that this thread went beyond answering the question that was asked but offering the OP advice on actually making the crossing which he had not considered - example he estmates the crossing at roughly half of the actual distance.

The posts were helpful and constructive until the OP posted :

I would therefore suggest that any subsequent posts have responded to this in the way it deserves and the way the thread has degenerated shows the OP for what he is - in a "less than positve light" - rather than the forum or the contributors to the thread.

• Greenie 1