Basset hound on a boat.

bigcol

Featured Posts

I am so jealous .

My daughter has two I had one in the seventies a 2 year old rescue Simon was never overweight and as fit as a butchers dog

Plan is to get a rescue basset asap but must be ok with cats my lady has 2 .

am glad this is turning into a dog appreciation forum!! We have just got a 10 week old Golden-Labradoodle (Mum was a Golden Doodle, Dad was a Labradoodle so we are going to call her a 'Dougal'! ) and all the dog forums I have seen are not as fun.....

Any way slightly on topic (sorry mods) we are really looking forward to taking "Poppy" on to Honeystreet later this year, at moment planning to take her for walks along the K&A at Aldermastern to get her used to it.

She has already leaped over the stair gates so removed them but like beagles we have to be careful about how often they use the stairs as they are growing up for their hips.

I took on a rescue terrier and initially used a crate..reason being poor little devil had so many food intolerances couldn't keep anything in. It took a while but she eventually settled in crate but I didn't have large one. I used it in the car for a good 2 years, now she's brilliant and just sleeps where put in car. Stopped using it in house sooner.

People who say. A dog is just a dog!!

These folks have never owned one!

To us a Dog is one of the family, He or She is a loyal companion we've had dogs since forever

Never could I be without.

Throughout me illness and treatments our Timmy was always there, always by my side

He knew, and were were mates, a closeness, a special bond.

I know it sounds to non animal lover, I've taken leave of our senses

But when Timmy died, I was devastated.

We have a new puppy now to join our family, and she's done us the world of good already

The joy and love that this little one gives us all ready.

Folks that are lonely, in there boat, should if they can, adopt a dog.

You will never be lonely again. I promise

Col

Edited by bigcol
  • Greenie 2

I love basset's, there is just something about them that makes me smile! We have 2 Elvis and Lou Lou who are regularly walked along the towpath. The boy is very stubborn ! my boy loves to great them and they don't seem to notice a huge wet tongue in their face. Good luck Col!

Col is so right, you are never lonely with a dog, they invented unconditional love.

Phil

And cause their owners to give it back in return. They somehow worm there way into your heart.

Our old boy, Buster, a 15 year old rescue dog who we have had since 6 months is everybody's friend (see my avatar). Recently he had a bad attack of idiopathic vestibular disease, which affects his balance by inflaming the nerve between ear and brain.

Result 72 hours of projectile vomiting and unable to stand up, followed by 6 weeks of dizziness and falling over. He's as well as he will ever be now, almost back to normal, but a bit unsteady on his feet.

However for the first three weeks we slept downstairs with him, to make sure he was ok and didn't hurt himself.

Non dog owning friends thought we were mad, but he is worth it.

Don't think hell last much longer but we will enjoy every minute we still have with him.

Matilda has recieved her first present to day, thanks to forum member Slim.

Many thanks Frank for you generosity,

Won't be long before She will grow into it, still looks posh on, and be safe

Many thanks again

Col Sharon and Matilda

Hi Cuthound

Wishing you family and your 15 year old buster all the best,

Col

Thanks BigCol,

Much appreciated. We are fine and the hound is OK, just a bit wobbly on his feet. Intending to go on the boat on Saturday, so we will see how he gets on. The most difficult bit will be boarding, as he refuses to be carried and weighs 30kg.

When we were looking for a boat last year, one of the criteria was old dog friendly steps at the stern. Our share boat had a sort of near vertical ladder, which until a couple of years ago Buster could leap up. DQ has a step onto the engine cover and then two steps to the side leading to the floor, which he can easily climb.

Cuthound

I've been looking on eBay re dog ramps, pet ramps

There a few ramps for pets. All fold away.

I also looked at ramps for wheel chairs aliminium fold away for getting on and of boat

All the best

Col

Cuthound

I also looked at ramps for wheel chairs aliminium fold away for getting on and of boat

All the best

Col

i will report this post unless we get some puppy photos soonangry.png

Cuthound

All the best

Col

Thank BigCol, I had a section of aluminium ladder covered with chequerplate to double up as a gangplank. Before his attack I used that to get him on board. Hopefully he can still use it. I will find out on Saturday, when we have a trip planned. The problem for Buster is the gap at the mooring resulting from using tyres between bank and boat.

When moored against the towpath he was happy to step onto the adjacent land.

Like Tree monkey, I am looking forward to seeing a photo of your pup.

I would put a photo on re my gallery but it says I've reached my limit.

I would be happy to email somone interested in the post, if they don't mind putting it on the post for me

Please pm email address if somone don't mind dong this for me

Many thanks

Col

I would put a photo on re my gallery but it says I've reached my limit.

I would be happy to email somone interested in the post, if they don't mind putting it on the post for me

Please pm email address if somone don't mind dong this for me

Many thanks

Col

PM sent

Have a read :

http://www.basset.net/boards/general-basset-hound-discussion/12436-can-basset-hounds-swim.html

We have a Pug - Pugs cannot swim, they just go 'vertical' and gradually sink.

One of my brother's staffies does that. He's 90% head with ickle back legs by comparison (the Staffie, not my brother. Although....)

The pooch will peer over the edge of the water to have a look and gradually his back legs lift off the ground till he tips in. He then sinks head first. biggrin.png My brother keeps a harness on him so he can reach in and scoop him out.

Here is the long-awaited (but worth it) pic:

image1resized_zpsf0b166d4.jpg

Oh my goodness!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Lovely.

she looks very guilty, what has she been up to?

Edited to get the sex right.

Watching mum clear up a poo, she missed the dog pad by a couple of feet ! lol

Now 10 weeks, bit bigger! And we're really proud of her, 75% of the time she asks to go out!!

Thanks all for your kind comments

Col

Edited by bigcol