Slow Cooked Never Ending Brisket Casserole

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

Slow Cooked Never-Ending Brisket Casserole

Inspired by Cal's lamb recipe, I thought I'd share my yumski brisket recipe I made last week. Use any cooking oil and root veggies you like, the ones I used are suitable for a paleo diet. Try to keep the carrots in because the sweetness goes really well with the beef.

Ingredients for phase one:

Big slab of brisket (I used a 600g brisket which is on offer at Tesco's at the moment - less than £5 and there was no waste)

One large sweet potato

Three carrots

Three sticks of celery

One large onion

One small bulb of garlic

Woody herbs of your choice, such as rosemary or thyme

Salt

Chicken stock (or other stock) - or a stock cube

Coconut oil or olive oil

Water

And for phase two:

Tin of chick peas

Tin of coconut milk

Spinach

Ginger, lemongrass or coriander leaf, if you have them.

You need a deep casserole dish with a lid or with foil.

This lasted me 9 very generous meals, and would have lasted me 11 meals if I'd not forgotten the pan on the last day and let it burn dry! frusty.gif And there's less than £10 of ingredients that goes into it. It's really tasty and filling too, and good for you. smile.png

Phase one:

1. On the cooker, brown a big ole lump of brisket on all sides in the casserole dish, with some seasoned coconut oil or olive oil.
  2. While it's browning cut into chunks one large sweet potato, three sticks of celery and three carrots, and slice one large onion. Take a small bulb of garlic and peel all the cloves, then cut each one in half.
  3. When the brisket is browned, take it out the dish and put it on a plate, while you add the onions and garlic to the same pan. Stir until the onions start to go glassy looking and then add all the chopped veggies, and whatever woody herbs you fancy - rosemary or thyme work well. Keep them moving till the root veggies get a little bit of colour on them but not too much.
  4. Then add the brisket back to the pan, persuading the veggies to spread out round the side of it.
  5. Top the pan up with stock (or a stock cube and water) till the brisket and veg is covered, pop on a lid and bring it up to the boil.
  6. Once it's boiling well turn off the cooker and transfer the dish either to the top of your woodburning stove, or into a Wonderbag if you have one. Don't let the rolling boil continue, the temperature should drop a bit but still be hot enough to keep everything cooking nice and slow.
  7. Forget about it and do something else.
  8. It won't take long before it smells completely amazing! After 3 hours lift the brisket out of the dish onto a plate, and slice it. It should be easy to slice, if not it means it needs a bit longer. Check the seasoning of the rest of the casserole and add salt to taste. Then pop the sliced brisket back in the casserole dish and stir it up. Pop the lid back on and allow it to continue cooking on an increased heat for another 15 mins or so.
  9. Ladel into a bowl along with the juice for a yummy brothy casserole.
  10. Tastes even better on day two and three!

Make sure you keep it chilled between servings, because it lasts so long, you don't want the meat going awf. I got 5 meals with a lot of meat in them, before I went on to phase two...

Phase two:

1. Once you've had it for lots of meals and fancy a change but there's still lots left, add half a tin of coconut milk to the dish and a tin of chick peas (as you've probably snarfed most or all of the meat by then)
  2. Give it a stir and add as much spinach as you can fit in the dish (it'll mulch down all small).
  3. Some lemongrass or fresh ginger is nice too if you have them, but not essential
  4. Heat it through and take a potato masher to it to gently squish up any remaining root veggies - they don't need to be completely smooth, but smooshing them thickens the broth and gives you a different texture to the last few days! Taste and season if it needs it.
  5. Ladel a generous dollop into a bowl with lots of the soup, and sprinkle on some fresh coriander leaf if you have it, but it's not essential.

It'll then last you a few more days as a thick Thai style broth. smile.png

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Me too...thanks ... I particularly like step by step instructions especially "persuading the veggies to spread out round the side of it" laugh.png Jamie watch out! (Im glad you changed the nerve ending, it was rather worrying!)

talking of ladles how great are these .. loch-ness-monster-soup-ladle-ototo-cover

Edited by Chagall

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Right... got all the stuff today, Sainsbury's brisket at £5.50, and its going to be cooking tomorrow. I will report back.

We have a top rump in the slow cooker as we speak.

Been in since 9.30am, not ready yet but smelling amazing.

I find it a bit more forgiving cut of beef. I don't really have much success with brisket.