How to break into my own boat - urgent!

Inner_Northerner

Featured Posts

Won't go into details but you'll find videos on YouTube which will help.

Utube has a solution to almost any problem.

Just prise off the steel door from it's internal woodwork. It's usually only glued on, whereas all the bolts and security stuff is only attached to the internal woodwork, which you can then just kick out of the way as you clamber aboard.

Next day, fix door with fresh glue.

Edited by Loafer

Those slam-lock cylinders are the worst idea and can easily be picked or bumped. I can pick a three lever mortise lock in a few minutes or make a key for a five lever lock in ten minutes if I know who manufactured it - a professional should be faster.

Many years ago (~1970) shortly before Christmas in Portsmouth I had retired to bed after a night shift. The door bell rang insistently so I answered the door. There was a bin-man (rubbish disposal operative) leaning on the gate and saying something I could not understand so I stepped forward, he said "Its Christmas and we will not be after emptying your bin next week". The door slammed shut behind me, the bin-man skedaddled and there was I, naked under a knee-length bathrobe - not a pretty sight. I rung the bell of my lovely, retired next door neighbours but they did not want to give a Christmas Box to the bin-men. Eventually they allowed me through their house and I climbed inelegantly (remember, I was naked under the bathrobe) over the six foot fence into my back yard. I would not have blamed that ex matelot for singing "Do your balls hang low, Can you tie 'em in a bow" etc.

Ever since I have had OCD in regard to locks. I have trained myself to check that I have the necessary keys in my hand even if a padlock is open, my boat keys are on the same ring as my car keys and I have keys stored elsewhere.

Well done for regaining access without damage or stupid locksmith fees. Wire coat-hangars are more useful than duct tape!

Alan

Best option would be to get locks which make it impossible to lock yourself out the boat.

It's always possible to lock yourself out if you happen lose your keys. Most boats will have plenty of places outside to hide an emergency key that will never be found by anyone who doesn't know where it's hidden.

I recommend buying a lock-picking set from ebay. In desperation a few years ago I put one of these on my xmas list half as a joke but the kids bought one for me.

On xmas morning they persuaded me outside and shut the door leaving me armed only with my new lock picking set. To my (and their) amazement I was back inside the house inside 30 seconds, so easy was it to pick my Yale type front door lock.

Quite shocking. Not a fluke either as I was able to do it again and again.

MtB

I recommend buying a lock-picking set from ebay. In desperation a few years ago I put one of these on my xmas list half as a joke but the kids bought one for me.

On xmas morning they persuaded me outside and shut the door leaving me armed only with my new lock picking set. To my (and their) amazement I was back inside the house inside 30 seconds, so easy was it to pick my Yale type front door lock.

Quite shocking. Not a fluke either as I was able to do it again and again.

MtB

If you take into account post #11, that puts you potentially on £45360/hour if you changed career and became a locksmith.

In the end the solution was a vent at the bottom of the front doors leading into the cratch area in the bow.

Clamber down outside, duck under cratch cover. Front doors here are bolted internally top and bottom. Remember in the cold the top bolt often slips down easily. Shake door. Feel it slide down. Just the bottom bolt to go. Spot small vent in bottom of door. Feel hope in your heart. Remember screwdriver set usefully stored in bow lockers. Remove panel using this. Discover there is still an internal grill in the way. Do not be deterred. Go find nearby random friendly boater. Persuade him you are not a burglar. Borrow coat hanger. Untwist and insert through internal grill to lift up bottom bolt and open door. Put kettle on... Life is good! Total cost - zero.

Thankyou all for the useful advice. Actually very pleased by how impregnable my boat turned out to be. Although kudos to whoever suggested just unscrewing the hopper windows from the outside. Looked like that would have worked too. But top of my side hatch has a lip to prevent crowbars. (And, presumably, rain.) And front door has a sturdy frame jutting out preventing credit card trick. (Thankyou for the PMs re this - feel like I have learned useful life skills today!)

Thanks all - hope you all have great days.

Mike

Well done! How innovative. :)

Boiler repair men earn more than that.

smile.png

(sorry Mike)

Exactly what I was about to say.

You know all those articles you hear about in The Sun saying plumbers make £100k a year? Well they are RUBBISH.

We make much more than that.

:D

MtB

• Greenie 1