How to break into my own boat - urgent!

Inner_Northerner

Featured Posts

In the end the solution was a vent at the bottom of the front doors leading into the cratch area in the bow.

Clamber down outside, duck under cratch cover. Front doors here are bolted internally top and bottom. Remember in the cold the top bolt often slips down easily. Shake door. Feel it slide down. Just the bottom bolt to go. Spot small vent in bottom of door. Feel hope in your heart. Remember screwdriver set usefully stored in bow lockers. Remove panel using this. Discover there is still an internal grill in the way. Do not be deterred. Go find nearby random friendly boater. Persuade him you are not a burglar. Borrow coat hanger. Untwist and insert through internal grill to lift up bottom bolt and open door. Put kettle on... Life is good! Total cost - zero.

Thankyou all for the useful advice. Actually very pleased by how impregnable my boat turned out to be. Although kudos to whoever suggested just unscrewing the hopper windows from the outside. Looked like that would have worked too. But top of my side hatch has a lip to prevent crowbars. (And, presumably, rain.) And front door has a sturdy frame jutting out preventing credit card trick. (Thankyou for the PMs re this - feel like I have learned useful life skills today!)

Thanks all - hope you all have great days.

Mike

Down the chimbley of course - that was the last piece of advice before he succeeded

Richard

So it seemed til we heard the facts but ....

Climb down the chimney, but only if you left the stoves door open or you'll still be locked out.

That has to be one of Bizzard's best imho and doesn't deserve to slip by unrecognised! Green thing done.

Well done sir.

I locked myself out of my boat once and tried the credit card etc trick with the yale type lock. I couldn't make it work. Only ever seen it done in the movies.

I have gained entry to a house on more than one occasion using that trick pre 'dead locks' that is but it used to work a treat.

In the end the solution was a <SNIP>

You might want to remove your step by step account of how to break into your boat from a public internet forum. smile.png

Especially from one where it's named.

Well done sir.

I locked myself out of my boat once and tried the credit card etc trick with the yale type lock. I couldn't make it work. Only ever seen it done in the movies.

I'm trying to remember how many times I have used that - to get into at least three houses and a boat that I can remember easily

Richard

And for any devious types out there considering coming to London to replicate the above and nick in to steal my pirate hot water bottle and sell it on the blackmarket, I have now fixed that loose top bolt. So it won't work again. Spare key with a land dwelling friend seems the best backup.

but what if they are out, see my post #7, the only problem with my link solution is that you have to remember four numbers.

I'm trying to remember how many times I have used that - to get into at least three houses and a boat that I can remember easily

Richard

Its a technique I've not been able to work out then

And for any devious types out there considering coming to London to replicate the above and nick in to steal my pirate hot water bottle and sell it on the blackmarket, I have now fixed that loose top bolt. So it won't work again. Spare key with a land dwelling friend seems the best backup.

Best option would be to get locks which make it impossible to lock yourself out the boat.

Keeping Up, on 25 Jan 2015 - 11:11 AM, said:snapback.png

......It is rather disconcerting to see how quickly a professional locksmith can open a traditional Yale lock! Presumably a professional thief could open it just as quickly

Yes. I had spoken to my neighbour, gone home, made a tool and opened their front door in the time it took them to go around to peer into the back door. They fitted a new front door with a proper deadlock after that

Richard

The question has to be asked - which one are you?

There's a lot to be said for NOT fitting a really strong lock. A "normal" lock is going to deter 99% of casual thieves, but the determined 1% will still try to get in. If the lock's pickable, they might do that, if its not then they might break a window or crowbar the door, which is going to be much messier and much more hassle to re-secure etc.

Glad it had a happy ending.

RLWP, on 25 Jan 2015 - 1:46 PM, said:snapback.png

Richard

I've got a new avatar for RLWP:

burglar4.jpg

Edited by Ray T

When I did similar to you on my old boat and had to break in via the cat flap in the same way, 'flipping' the Yale loose, it scared me how easy it was. AND I had to do it in central Bham with people watching!

I fitted a deadlock the next day!

Keeping Up, on 25 Jan 2015 - 11:11 AM, said:snapback.png

The question has to be asked - which one are you?

A bit of a mixture. I've 'broken in' to three houses, a hotel room and a boat that way, and two houses by cat burglary

Richard