How to break into my own boat - urgent!

Inner_Northerner

Featured Posts

So I know I'm essentially asking you all for possibly damaging advice in terms of boat security. But I doubt the hooded youth of London Town peruse this forum that often, so figured it was worth the risk in the hope someone can help...

I've kicked myself out of my boat. I'm a liveaboard so this is a bit of an issue. Small round Yale lock with no visible screws. Even worse part of the lick mechanism is covered by the doorframe. Yes I have a spare key. Unfortunately along with the usual key it's also smugly sitting inside the boat. Other entry points are the side hatch and double doors at the front. Both secured with internal bolts top and bottom.

Short of taking a crowbar to the glass (Which I tried at 2am last night with no success and much anxiety that nearby well meaning boaters might call the police on me.) Any other suggestions?

Failing that I'm guessing the usual land dwelling locksmiths would work?

The good news is that my bust is vastly more impregnable than I thought....

Edited by Inner_Northerner

Yep - just looks to me like an ordinary front door yale lock that locks automatically when you pull it closed. Quite small.

And just spotted another typo. My "boat" is (sadly) impregnable. Being of the male gender, I don't really have a bust. Although last night's emergency chips are definitely beginning to contribute to potential development of one.

If you have windows with the full size hopper glass, ''can't remember the make'' clamp in frame type windows. If you've left one of these open they can be lifted out by reaching in and over, lift up and lower to the floor and climb through.

Yep the £378 bill is exactly what am trying to avoid.

All the windows are closed but am wondering now whether sliding something in to turn the slide locks and then lifting the frame out as you say might be an option. They are the hopper type ones

Edited by Inner_Northerner

I would start by contacting a locksmith.

It is rather disconcerting to see how quickly a professional locksmith can open a traditional Yale lock! Presumably a professional thief could open it just as quickly.

When our boat was broken into, many years ago, the lid of the side hatch was shown to be particularly vulnerable because the cheap bolts were too small to be any use (it also turns out that some "cranked" bolts are hollow because that is easier to make"). I've now rectified that problem on mine; but if yours is similar you could break in, using a mooring pin as a lever, without doing any damage beyond breaking the bolts which ought to be replaced by better ones anyway.

I would start by contacting a locksmith.

It is rather disconcerting to see how quickly a professional locksmith can open a traditional Yale lock! Presumably a professional thief could open it just as quickly.

Yes. I had spoken to my neighbour, gone home, made a tool and opened their front door in the time it took them to go around to peer into the back door. They fitted a new front door with a proper deadlock after that

Richard

A proper locksmith will pick a Yale type lock in no time at all, would probably not even have to drill it if the key was broken off inside.

Just the other day I had this demonstrated, so ring a LOCAL locksmith, not an 0800 type fromYellow Pages, and ask if he will pick it for you.

Most "locksmiths" will just drill it out and charge you a fortune. Borrow a drill from a neighbour if it comes to that.

You could try cutting a section from a plastic bottle to shim the lock, might not work if the door frame is covering it...

You could try using another key that fits in the lock to bump it. Insert the key, apply tension and then hit the key with the back of a screwdriver.

Scavenge something like a paper clip to make a pick from your neighbours.

A locksmith in London will not come cheap, but if you do use one maybe shop around a bit for a price; they might charge more out of normal working hours or if they have to travel some distance. The £378 quoted by Tonka (of Surrey I see) sounds excessive; I think I paid £115 about 6 years ago for a local locksmith to come out and open a jammed uPVC front door in Croydon, pretty much an equivalent job I suppose.

If none of the other techniques people are suggesting for getting in with minimal damage will work, you might find that replacing the glass in one wisely chosen window costs less than a locksmith's fee. If so, just use a hammer and nail to break it near each corner, DIY gloves to remove all the broken glass especially at the bottom of the window so you can safely climb in, then tape some bubble wrap over the hole to keep you warm until you can do the repair.