Attenborough gravel traffic

tarboat

Featured Posts

I remember a steerer of a Bantam running on it's own describing controlling it as " being in charge of a dog with a Bl***y gert tail when you offer him a bone you"ve not got much control of his a**e end

So... Vindication after more than a half-century! The very first boat I steered was a BW Bantam (69, I think) running tow-free while I was mooching rides and hanging out with the dredging crew in Penkridge (all before it was dangerous to do such things, of course). The tug driver told me to keep it going in the channel while he poured in a can of diesel. I ran it straight up the bank, of course. "Haven't you ever steered a boat before??" "Well... No, I haven't". What a great summer that was!

Just for the record, the Attenborough traffic will be ending in the next couple of months. Most staff will be moving to other jobs within the Cemex. End of an era!

Do you know the reason for it ending ? I thought there were years more gravel yet to get out from the area on the Long Eaton side of Cranfleet Cut.

Edited by Tony Dunkley