Manchester Ship Canal

John Orentas

Featured Posts

Just been watch local TV report, there is a proposal for a new container port just outside Manchester.

The usual confusion, they showed some archive film of ships on the canal in the 1930's and more of the derelict Irwell navigation (don't know how how that got in there). They were going on about container ports all over the word that take some of the biggest ships ever built. 'Manchester will be connected to all these'.

I don't think so! Anyway we may get the true tale eventually.

• 7 months later...
Just been watch local TV report, there is a proposal for a new container port just outside Manchester.

The usual confusion, they showed some archive film of ships on the canal in the 1930's and more of the derelict Irwell navigation (don't know how how that got in there). They were going on about container ports all over the word that take some of the biggest ships ever built. 'Manchester will be connected to all these'.

I don't think so! Anyway we may get the true tale eventually.

two large barges coplete with a 'pusher' tug have arrived in the port of liverpool to take up a sevice from seaforth container base and run up the manchester ship canal a container service ...how many wagans will that take off the road ..its got to be a good thing...will take pics of the barges when the service is operational and put it on the forum

Yeah, pasted the MSC on our way round though manchester this weekend, its a good bit of canal for the using i recon.

Daniel

In the 1970's I worked for a company called Manchester Liners in Montreal and we used to send 550 TEU (550 x 20ft containers) weekly from Montreal up the MSC the service was very well supported but the company was eventualy bought by a Hong Kong based shipping line (I was sent to Hong Kong) within 2 years the service was stopped.