test drive of a prospective boat ?

Blazeaway

Featured Posts

I am interested in buying a boat that is advertised with one of the main brokers.

Ive asked for a "test drive" but they seem reluctant to do this, is this normal ?

My view is I want to see every aspect of the boat operating before i make an offer and then move to survey.

Not as far as I am aware.

I certainly would not have purchased our (second hand to us ) boat without a test drive. Mind you as it was, and still is, our first boat I was not sure what I should be looking for, at that time. We had only fairly extensive experience of hire boats up until that point.

We had the boat professionally surveyed but still several faults appeared after about six months, no blame to the surveyor.

If you do buy a second hand boat I would recommend joining RCR - River and Canal rescue http://www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/for the first year at least.

Edited by Ray T

I am interested in buying a boat that is advertised with one of the main brokers.

Ive asked for a "test drive" but they seem reluctant to do this, is this normal ?

My view is I want to see every aspect of the boat operating before i make an offer and then move to survey.

Whilton presumably, so yes, normal for them.

Most other 'main brokers' will happily allow you a test 'steer' though, once they have satisfied themselves you seem like a genuine potential buyer.

MtB

No matter how reluctant they are I would make it clear that no test drive is a no sale. Tell them if the test drive is ok you will make an offer. If that doesn't convince them walk away. Make sure you get at least and hour and give the engine a good look for leaks etc.

I would test cruise any new boat that I bought, Old Friends was bought on starting the engine up.

I do have a good idea of what a boat should deliver, and would recommend this route to anyone.

Moving so many boats, I can usually get an idea of a boats handling/engine capabilities and limits very swiftly. I do do this for others too!

A fair few brokers will insist you place a deposit down before a "sea trial" which I don't think is unreasonable, but be very careful to read the small print, especially if it is Whilton/Venetian where they try and lock you into the sale at this point. Basically make sure that you can have your deposit returned unconditionally.

I would be appalled if when buying a boat that I was not able to do a test cruise. What, if anything, do the brokers/sellers have to loose? Narrowboats may look similar, but they handle in different ways and you need to know that the handeling suits you for instance. If you don't get to do a 'test drive' walk away. In any event, before buying get a survey. Good luck with your search.

I wouldn't instinctively jump to Whilton's defence, but looking at it from their point of view if you allow the public to spend as much time as they like crawling all over their boats with no obligation they must attract a fair number of tyre kickers. If they responded to every request for can I take her out for a spin it might be unworkable.

I can think of one of these "respected" brokers who will ask you to flash some cash before taking the boat out but the difference is you can have your money back immediately, no questions asked, if you decide against the boat. That is the difference between them and the likes of Whilton who seem to regard a deposit as a down payment.

Neil

I'm sorry, I always thought that such time wasters were referred to as " Fender kickers" in the boating world. I've met a good many!

On a more serious note, I certainly wouldn't contemplate purchase without a trial run, though I accept that spurious requests could sorely try a broker's patience! Good luck to the OP

Dave

Speaking as someone who currently has their boat up for sale. I would be vey reluctant to offer a test cruise on the first visit.

Any potential purchaser can gain a lot by seeing the engine running while on a mooring. Gears can be engaged to check gearbox and stern gear etc. Actually taking the boat out won't give the purchaser a huge amount more information about the boat.

When the purchaser gets a boat surveyed, does the surveyor take the boat out for a test run? - No, because there is very little to be gained from it regarding the condition, structure etc of the boat.

I would have to feel that the potential purchaser is very keen before offering a test cruise.

I would be happy to take a fully refundable deposit and the sale to be concluded on the basis of a sucessful survey and trial.

For me, there is also the practicalities of a trial. From my linear mooring, go North and we can turn at Thrupp wide (about a mile) or futher up on to the Cherwell. If it's facing South, we'd have to go to Dukes to turn. A days cruise.

Actually taking the boat out won't give the purchaser a huge amount more information about the boat.

You may feel that, but for some of us the way a boat handles under way is a significant factor in a decision whether to buy or not. I'm not too bothered about whether a boat has a pumpout or cassette, or how many domestic batteries are fitted, but a boat that goes where I want it with a light hand on the tiller is a winner whereas I wouldn't buy one which climbs the bank the moment my concentration wavers. And you can't find that sort of thing out without a trial run.

You may feel that, but for some of us the way a boat handles under way is a significant factor in a decision whether to buy or not. I'm not too bothered about whether a boat has a pumpout or cassette, or how many domestic batteries are fitted, but a boat that goes where I want it with a light hand on the tiller is a winner whereas I wouldn't buy one which climbs the bank the moment my concentration wavers. And you can't find that sort of thing out without a trial run.

You virtually took the words out of my mouth. Until recently I had two boats. The Mel Davis has inch-accurate steering, whereas when driving my Springer I didn't so much steer it as suggest to it where it might like to go. Especially for less experienced boaters, I would say that they do need at least a short test cruise to ascertain how it handles and whether they are comfortable with it. No one wants to pay out a five-figure sum for something which they then find that they're afraid to drive.

I wouldn't instinctively jump to Whilton's defence, but looking at it from their point of view if you allow the public to spend as much time as they like crawling all over their boats with no obligation they must attract a fair number of tyre kickers. If they responded to every request for can I take her out for a spin it might be unworkable.

I can think of one of these "respected" brokers who will ask you to flash some cash before taking the boat out but the difference is you can have your money back immediately, no questions asked, if you decide against the boat. That is the difference between them and the likes of Whilton who seem to regard a deposit as a down payment.

I'm sorry but tyre kickers are all, potential, boat buyers. There is a lot of junk out there, a lot of unscrupulous sellers and boats are hugely expensive. if people come round "kicking tyres" that is to be expected and IMO welcomed. I would say that if a seller is reluctant to let a potential buyer see or test drive a boat then walk away. Bottom line is that it is their loss. Also I most certainly wouldn't put any money down just to have a test drive. I didn't when I bought my boat and I wouldn't if I ever want a new boat. Again walk away it's their loss, there is plenty of good stuff out there to buy as long as you are careful and know what you are looking for. You stand to lose far too much money to accept that sort of treatment.

I test drove several boats before buying Grace, I found deal breaking faults on some of the other boats(noise, vibration, smoke rough gearboxes). My attitude is any reluctance or conditions put on a test drive means they are hiding something and I walked away, not just from the boat but the brokerage as a whole.

T C

In my case I visited the boat many months ago with my wife, and have also have interest in 2 others. I am now in funds and want to proceed and will buy 1 of these 3 boats. All are in the 50-70k price range.

I visited again in mid December as I new funds were due January to be sure I wanted to continue with this one boat. and to see the engine running and others things that were still vague from my June 2014 visit.

I have now told them that I will buy one of the 3 boats I'm looking at, and I will. I asked for a meet at the boat with the owners so they can show me all the things in operation to prove they operate, eg Mikuni heater works and heats water. Hot water comes out the shower etc, toilet Flushes, Engines starts and batteries do charge, the electric points work, the lights works and take me on a ten minute cruise to prove it can. I don't think I'm asking much, am I ?

If all goes well then I'll make an offer subject to survey.

The agent says "you can see it in operation when the owners take it to the yard for the survey"

Now I don't even want to book a survey until we've agreed a price and I wont put in an offer until I've seen it cruising and seen the various systems operating"

Am I being reasonable or not and are they just being ar$ey ?

I don't see how they are acting in the best interests of their client..........I might take my £50,000 elsewhere.........

Am I being reasonable or not and are they just being ar$ey ?

I don't see how they are acting in the best interests of their client..........I might take my £50,000 elsewhere.........

It can be hard to see the whole picture when you are the one with the money and ready to buy.

BUT

One of the major functions of a broker is to save the seller having to deal with endless fender kickers who just LOVE to look at other people's boats and blag the odd cruise here and there. If they agreed to (reasonable) requirements such as yours from every viewer they would need five times the staff and have to charge tree times the commission. If they did this I doubt many sellers would pay it and they'd end up without a business so the lower their sales commission, the less co-operative the broker is likely to be.

So, bear in mind the time a broker spends with you is entirely speculative on their part as they, like you, they can't guarantee any business will result. And the brokers who spend less time and/or give poorer service to you the buyer try to keep this fact carefully concealed from their clients who will have no idea. Their clients mainly focus on the headline sales commission they are being charged, and it is always 'too high'.

To get everything you are asking for I suggest you buy privately. A seller keen to sell their pride and joy will be only too pleased to show you all and take you for a spin. (The sellers who would rather avoid face-to-face meetings with buyers tend to avoid it by using a broker. Another reason your request to meet the seller might be stressing the broker out.)

Although when I sold privately I admit I was getting a bit short tempered on my ninth test cruise only to have the would-be buyers thank me profusely for the trip then vanish, never to be heard from again. I sold it to someone who viewed it once and didn't want to take it out. Oh joy!

Mind you I bought his boat too. We swapped, with cash adjustment.

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Hi

I think its a personal thing. I bought my seventh liveaboard boat this week. I saw it for the first time at 10 am and paid my offered price twenty minutes later. It depends on your experience. For instance this is a colecraft shell so drives like a colecraft shell it has the usual quiet modern diesel thank god so again much of a muchnes and again no survey never have never will so I never test drive em and never survey.

All my past boats have been good ones and my last 2 I have sold to cash buyers neither of them had surveys either. My last boat an unsellable widebeam as many people would have you believe I sold last week to a bloke who saw it thursday paid deposit friday and full monday on the money. Neither of the last two boat buyers test drove either.

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

There are no hard and fast rules on this and no definitive right or wrong procedures. At the end of the day it's up to the vendor and prospective purchaser to sort it out between themselves. If the vendor refuses to take the boat out for a buyer they are quite within their rights to do so. Likewise, if the buyer wants to walk away at any time and for any reason, that is their prerogative.

Edited by blackrose

Hi

I think its a personal thing. I bought my seventh liveaboard boat this week. I saw it for the first time at 10 am and paid my offered price twenty minutes later. It depends on your experience. For instance this is a colecraft shell so drives like a colecraft shell it has the usual quiet modern diesel thank god so again much of a muchnes and again no survey never have never will so I never test drive em and never survey.

All my past boats have been good ones and my last 2 I have sold to cash buyers neither of them had surveys either. My last boat an unsellable widebeam as many people would have you believe I sold last week to a bloke who saw it thursday paid deposit friday and full monday on the money. Neither of the last two boat buyers test drove either.

Tim

I pretty much agree with this, apart from survey, I think they're worth having although I probably wouldn't get one myself but I would want the boat out of the water.

What are you going to learn about a boat from a test cruise up the cut that you couldn't tell with it tied up at a mooring? Sure I'd want to start it, I'd want to put it in gear for a bit and generally get my grubby paws on as much of it as possible. Going up the cut in it though would tell me nothing useful I can think of.

What are you going to learn about a boat from a test cruise up the cut that you couldn't tell with it tied up at a mooring? Sure I'd want to start it, I'd want to put it in gear for a bit and generally get my grubby paws on as much of it as possible. Going up the cut in it though would tell me nothing useful I can think of.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=73276#entry1491473

My take on this business of test drives be it a car or a boat, no test drive no sale. Not negotiable. Ive found too many horrors in both cars and boats to buy without. There are plenty more boats out there being sold by people with nothing to hide. Mind you I don't just show up and ask for a test drive I thoroughly check it over at the berth first, and ask detailed technical questions. That has saved me going on what would have been wasted tests. It's a buyers market you don't have to put up with the lazyness and poor practice foisted on customers by some brokers.

T C