HNBC Auction of Canal Antiques

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

Thanks guys. Isn't it incredible that these boats could hold 40 tons (just before they sank!).

This info will be added to my blog i a couple of days so I don't lose / forget it.

Be careful Andy the last few entries were just calculated to finish the sheet, they in reality didn't load to the extreme most pictures show around 4" of freeboard when fully loaded. From real experience with John Jinks we nearly got sunk by our own wash when overloading "Hercules" some years ago!

Be careful Andy the last few entries were just calculated to finish the sheet, they in reality didn't load to the extreme most pictures show around 4" of freeboard when fully loaded. From real experience with John Jinks we nearly got sunk by our own wash when overloading "Hercules" some years ago!

My understanding is that gauge weights were placed to 24 tons with the rest being done by calculation until there was no dry side left.

When weighing / gauging a boat weights were added in batches of four tons, the dry side then being measured and divided by four to give drop per ton. This is all recorded on the table section of the gauge sheet.

BCN gauging record for 229. Feel free to use it on your blog.

DSCF3312.jpg

B.C.N. gauge tables are frequently different from one copy to another, no doubt the result of simple clerical transcript errors. I have inspected four separate copies of B.C.N. 229 and three of these give the gauge date as 19 April 1922 whilst the forth is dated as above - 09 April 1922. The Stowage Length is 58'4 on two tables and 58'6 on another (I do not have Stowage Length for the forth table). Three out of the four tables also give a boat name as ALBERT, still with the fleet number of 63.

As far as the date of B.C.N. 229 is concerned I believe 19 April 1922 would be correct. This is based upon B.C.N. 228 being dated 19 April 1922 and B.C.N. 230 being dated 20 April 1922. According to my transcripts of B.C.N. gaugings there were none carried out on 22 April 1922, and this includes gaugings, re-gaugings and alterations.

edit - to remove the top photograph of the full gauge table B.C.N. 229.

Edited by pete harrison

Where would I find the BCN gauging records for Willow - BCN No. 1857 (31/5/35)? I've found the transcript of the basic information in the waterways archive at Ellesmere port but that just shows date, number, name and what the boat's made of, nothing on size/depth/ etc.

Where would I find the BCN gauging records for Willow - BCN No. 1857 (31/5/35)? I've found the transcript of the basic information in the waterways archive at Ellesmere port but that just shows date, number, name and what the boat's made of, nothing on size/depth/ etc.

The archive at Ellesmere Port has at least one set of B.C.N. gauge registers, and it was my understanding that those that were at Gloucester are also housed there now. There are also numerous B.C.N. gauge registers in private collections, although mine is a digital copy. I am sure 'Speedwheel' will post a photograph of B.C.N. 1857 before long as although I have full details of B.C.N. gaugings I do not know how to post photographs. In the mean time:

B.C.N. 1857 - 31 May 1935 - Tipton - Cabin Iron Motor - Severn & Canal Carrying Co. Ltd., Birmingham - WILLOW - Extreme Length 71'8 - Extreme Width 7'1 - Stowage Length 52'4 - Stowage Width 6'11 - Draught when Light 12.82'' - Draught when Laden with 38 tons 51.20'' - dry side @ 24 tons 14.23'' - dry side at 28 tons 10.19'' - dry side at 32 tons 6.15'' - dry side at 36 tons 2.11'' - dry side at 38 tons 0.09'' - average drop per ton from 24 tons to 38 tons recorded as 1.01'' - Articles On Board When Weighed 4 Beams - Rudder - Mast and Case - False Floor - Cloths Complete - Cratch - 4 Planks - 2 Standards - 8 Stays - 4 Stretchers - Log - Pump - Deck - 64 Gallons Oil - 1 Motor Engine.

I also have a photograph of the 'Skeletal Table' for B.C.N. 1857 which is the actual table that was filled in whilst the boat was being weighed / gauged.

captain.gif

Thanks very much Pete, a mine of information as always.

Interestingly, Willow's been pulled in a bit and slimmed with age, it's now 7' 3/8" at the widest point, which must have happened at one of the two rebottomings.

The draft figures are interesting too, and puts paid to the tale I heard of someone taking 35 tons on a motor- although I suppose it may have been one of the wooden motors converted from older horse boats, which I believe kept deeper hull sides than the "tree" class' 4'3" and a bit. Regular loading to 30 tons on a 3'8" or so draft sounds petty plausible though.

The draft figures are interesting too, and puts paid to the tale I heard of someone taking 35 tons on a motor- although I suppose it may have been one of the wooden motors converted from older horse boats, which I believe kept deeper hull sides than the "tree" class' 4'3" and a bit. Regular loading to 30 tons on a 3'8" or so draft sounds petty plausible though.

Nope, WILLOW ran the deepest draught at the theoretical 38 tons, and 38 tons is the highest recorded for several 'Severn & Canal' motors per the B.C.N. gauge tables. Most of the 'Severn & Canal' wooden motors carried less than the Charles Hill built motors according to the B.C.N. gauge tables.

Also bear in mind that the dry side measurements are an average of four taken during gauging, two on each side, and that the counter of a loaded motor does not usually go down into the water very far when loaded.

edit = captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

The archive at Ellesmere Port has at least one set of B.C.N. gauge registers, and it was my understanding that those that were at Gloucester are also housed there now. There are also numerous B.C.N. gauge registers in private collections, although mine is a digital copy. I am sure 'Speedwheel' will post a photograph of B.C.N. 1857 before long as although I have full details of B.C.N. gaugings I do not know how to post photographs. In the mean time:

B.C.N. 1857 - 31 May 1935 - Tipton - Cabin Iron Motor - Severn & Canal Carrying Co. Ltd., Birmingham - WILLOW - Extreme Length 71'8 - Extreme Width 7'1 - Stowage Length 52'4 - Stowage Width 6'11 - Draught when Light 12.82'' - Draught when Laden with 38 tons 51.20'' - dry side @ 24 tons 14.23'' - dry side at 28 tons 10.19'' - dry side at 32 tons 6.15'' - dry side at 36 tons 2.11'' - dry side at 38 tons 0.09'' - average drop per ton from 24 tons to 38 tons recorded as 1.01'' - Articles On Board When Weighed 4 Beams - Rudder - Mast and Case - False Floor - Cloths Complete - Cratch - 4 Planks - 2 Standards - 8 Stays - 4 Stretchers - Log - Pump - Deck - 64 Gallons Oil - 1 Motor Engine.

I also have a photograph of the 'Skeletal Table' for B.C.N. 1857 which is the actual table that was filled in whilst the boat was being weighed / gauged.

captain.gif

Unfortunately I can't Pete. I have one book missing (that one!)