HNBC Auction of Canal Antiques

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

Rose boats do/did have new long boat poles

Richard

I think they probably still will have, (around 14 feet, instead of the default 12v feet that just about everybody else seems limited to).

However one I bought there has really gone very banana shaped, and I'm a bit disappointed with it - admittedly I never painted it, but I'm not sure I have ever actually used it either.

I think they probably still will have, (around 14 feet, instead of the default 12v feet that just about everybody else seems limited to).

However one I bought there has really gone very banana shaped, and I'm a bit disappointed with it - admittedly I never painted it, but I'm not sure I have ever actually used it either.

A bit of advice Alan, never buy any long length of any timber if it looks like it came from the mill last week, always go for the bits that look as if they have been hanging around for some time, preferably in a similar environment to where it is going to be used. It is also important to look at the end grain to see which part of the tree it came from, the closer to the outside the better. Some while ago the people at Midland Chandlers were amused when I had every pole out of the rack checking for warp and bow, and both ends to check the grain shape, and that it has not been cut from a curved trunk, The one I eventually chose has not bowed or warped (yet!).

To be honest if your pole has really gone banana shaped I would return it for a replacement or refund, as it is not really "fit for purpose" Yes I realise that the cost of travel from where you live is probably more tha the value of the pole , which is a conundrum for you.

We have produced a test pole of 16' from fiberglass that has stood well up to the "Mac" test so far (2 years that is), I'm looking into batch production for more .... they are light weight, float, have a trad hook on one end, and a nice big button on the other to spread the load on the chest when really pushing!

Jay

We have produced a test pole of 16' from fiberglass that has stood well up to the "Mac" test so far (2 years that is), I'm looking into batch production for more .... they are light weight, float, have a trad hook on one end, and a nice big button on the other to spread the load on the chest when really pushing!

Jay

Put us down for one if you ever go into production!

Put us down for one if you ever go into production!

IF .. thats a big IF!! (I've had the drawings kicking around for months, too many other things keep getting in the way, like buying boats, making pods.... oh and living!

..but yes, your on the list along with 2 others that I know of... ofcuase you'll all say "jog on" when the price is worked out! ;-)

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...