HNBC Auction of Canal Antiques

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

The Historic Narrow Boat Club is organising an auction of canal antiques and other waterways items on

Saturday 21 March
at the Village Hall, Green Road, Weston, Stafford, ST18 0JQ.

199 Lots including masthead lamps, water cans, tiller arms, tools - and some lucky dips.

The auction is only open to members and their guests for legal reasons and because the purpose is to sell listed items to new owners who will value their historic significance, not to get the best price.

http://hnbc.org.uk/auction

P.S Admins do move this if it's not the correct location

Edited by Black Ibis

The auction is only open to members and their guests because the purpose is to sell listed items to new owners who will value their historic significance, not to get the best price.

Is there some documentation to support the provenance of Lot 041?

http://hnbc.org.uk/sites/default/files/auction/AuctionofCanalRelatedAntiques.pdf

Richard

• The HNBC will be pleased to execute bids for registered bidders unable to attend the sale, on receipt of written instructions handed to the Auctioneer or sent by email to treasurer@hnbc.org.uk by midday on 21 March 2015, or sent by post to HNBC Chairman, 30A Toyse Lane, Burwell CB25 0DF, to arrive by Saturday 14 March 2015.
  • HNBC is unable to provide a telephone bidding facility, members should make arrangements with another member to bid by telephone on their behalf.

Also note

• Successful absentee bids must be paid for on the day by the bidder’s representative and such lots must be collected by them. Post and packing facilities are not available.

Ah I see Sarah got there first!

Edited by Black Ibis
  • Greenie 1

Seems a bit unduly prescriptive to be limiting the sale in this way - the majority of the stuff is 'cleared out the shed' bits and bobs which I'd have thought they would be keen to get as many bids for as they can.

And as for the 'proper' old stuff, do HNBC members not sometimes flog bits to make a few quid?

Smacks of the old Brooklands 'right crowd and no crowding' mindset to me. Sorry! (BTW there's nothing there which I'm grumpy about missing out on)

Edited by starman

Seems a bit unduly prescriptive to be limiting the sale in this way - the majority of the stuff is 'cleared out the shed' bits and bobs which I'd have thought they would be keen to get as many bids for as they can.

And as for the 'proper' old stuff, do HNBC members not sometimes flog bits to make a few quid?

Smacks of the old Brooklands 'right crowd and no crowding' mindset to me. Sorry! (BTW there's nothing there which I'm grumpy about missing out on)

There is nothing stopping anyone who wishes to bid from joining the club, or finding a member that is willing to sign them in as a guest.

The club have to run the auction in this way, otherwise they would encounter a lot of legal restrictions.

Thats a bit unfair, I counted 64 out of 199 lots which were not directy boat related, and if you also included the usefull engineering stuff, the number goes down to about thirty, that's 15%, hardly the majority.

Just a pity non-members cannot bid, as some items would be of interst to serious historic tool collectors, and should make good money. I guess there is time to join before March!!

Edited by David Schweizer

There is nothing stopping anyone who wishes to bid from joining the club, or finding a member that is willing to sign them in as a guest.

The club have to run the auction in this way, otherwise they would encounter a lot of legal restrictions.

Sarah beat me to it! And she is right about the legal stuff, if they allow the general public to bid, they require a licence and all need to meet a whole range of other legal requirements, I belong to an Histiorical Tools Society and we have an annuaual auction which only members can attend for the same reasons.

Membership is £12, not that expensive really

Richard

And offers you a umber of useful discounts on things like surveys, BSS inspections and even 5% at Midland Chandlers, (and although the Braunston branch always claim not to know, they always grant it).

I'm curious though how much of the proceeds from this auction will actually find themselves into HNBC coffers, and how much will go to (presumably) <possible name removed because apparently seller wishes to remain anonymous>.

Edited by alan_fincher

And offers you a umber of useful discounts on things like surveys, BSS inspections and even 5% at Midland Chandlers, (and although the Braunston branch always claim not to know, they always grant it).

I'm curious though how much of the proceeds from this auction will actually find themselves into HNBC coffers, and how much will go to (presumably) Malcolm Braine.

Alan,

The owner of the items wishes to remain anonymous. As for the proceeds, the HNBC are charging for expenses and the owner of the items is donating a percentage of the final proceeds to the club.

Thats a bit unfair, I counted 64 out of 199 lots which were not directy boat related, and if you also included the usefull engineering stuff, the number goes down to about thirty, that's 15%, hardly the majority.

Just a pity non-members cannot bid, as some items would be of interst to serious historic tool collectors, and should make good money. I guess there is time to join before March!!

Yes, plenty of boaty and tool bits that I'd happily look through - it was the open to members only because we don't want any old riff raff bidding that I didn't care for.

But if they legally have to have a members only auction fair enough - why not just say so.

And yes I could join.

But if they legally have to have a members only auction fair enough - why not just say so.

This was in the first post

"The auction is only open to members and their guests for legal reasons and because the purpose is to sell listed items to new owners who will value their historic significance, not to get the best price."