WARNING - CRT licence computer telling lies

Tony Brooks

Featured Posts

Would all members be aware that I licensed my boat and got the license dated 10/12/14. To day I have received a "demand", some would say with menaces, dated 14/1/15 requiring me to renew my license.

A phone call to CaRT was highly unsatisfactory because the call handler refused to tell me the current license status of my boat or anything about reminders until I had told her the details. This mean I have no way of knowing for sure what the CaRT system says about my license. She volunteered the information that the computer some times has glitches.

Is this the latest CaRT wheeze. Send enough reminders out and a few will license again?

Computer systems are not infallible, usually due to the quality of the data. Can't see why there would necessarily be anything sinister about it, but they really should be able to explain their issue and reassure you that is has been corrected.

They wouldn't discuss personal details until they had established who you are.

Obviously the data of your payment and re licencing had not been put into the system, which of course is a basic task which they should have the hang of by now.

Make a written complaint if you feel it was handled badly. They need to know.

Isn't there a website where you can check if your boat is licensed or not. I was sure there is one on the CRT site.

When you say she didn't give you any info, until you gave her details...that sounds like there may be more to the story than..."here's" my index number, what's my status...is there more to the story at all ? I had a licensing issue with them for a 2nd boat I purchased, and found them very helpful...?

but yes, a computer with glitches in the licensing dept, would be a very bad thing I would think.

They wouldn't discuss personal details until they had established who you are.

Obviously the data of your payment and re licencing had not been put into the system, which of course is a basic task which they should have the hang of by now.

Make a written complaint if you feel it was handled badly. They need to know.

No, I gave her my name, customer number and boat name as requested. I then asked her what her computer showed. As I selected the Lensing option on their phone system I would expect them to know it was a licensing query. My problem is that if their systems are really than bad I could well be heading for legal action.

No, I gave her my name, customer number and boat name as requested. I then asked her what her computer showed. As I selected the Lensing option on their phone system I would expect them to know it was a licensing query. My problem is that if their systems are really than bad I could well be heading for legal action.

I fully understand, because I've seen that particular situation where a boat owner has almost been forced to pay 150 quid late payment charge, just because someone forgot to input his payment, and we're trying to cover their own backsides.

Make a complaint, but email it to Richard Parry.

In an organisation the size of CRT mistakes will be made either through human error or by computer glitches. That's why large organisations have customer service departments to correct these mistakes. I recently went to collect my pre-booked and pre-paid hire car from Avis only to be told that they didn't have a car available even though they had my booking recorded. Mistakes happen, put them right and move on.

• Greenie 2

I sympathise with your position it can be very frustrating when dealing with a company providing a poor service and when a significant chunk of money is at stake.

I agree with Jenlyn you need to make a formal complaint. At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs I offer this for when you do it. Write your complaint out but don't email post it straight away leave it 24 hours and read it again and try and do so as if you were receiving it and trying to work out what the person was complaining about. Be factual and although expressing your discontentment with the way you have been handled is good try not to be too emotional about it. Do not be personal/judgemental about anyone you have spoken to again stick to the facts. Do not be too quick to threaten legal action at first as this may not galvanise them into the action you want but rather make any response all the more guarded and "safe" .

I sympathise with your position it can be very frustrating when dealing with a company providing a poor service and when a significant chunk of money is at stake.

I agree with Jenlyn you need to make a formal complaint. At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs I offer this for when you do it. Write your complaint out but don't email post it straight away leave it 24 hours and read it again and try and do so as if you were receiving it and trying to work out what the person was complaining about. Be factual and although expressing your discontentment with the way you have been handled is good try not to be too emotional about it. Do not be personal/judgemental about anyone you have spoken to again stick to the facts. Do not be too quick to threaten legal action at first as this may not galvanise them into the action you want but rather make any response all the more guarded and "safe" .

It is not legal action started by myself that I am very concerned about, its enforcement and legal action started by CaRT. If they alleged I do not have a license I could get thrown out of the marina as well.

It is not legal action started by myself that I am very concerned about, its enforcement and legal action started by CaRT. If they alleged I do not have a license I could get thrown out of the marina as well.

Is that not very easy to disprove ?

I had something similar with our local council who decided I did not have Planning Permission for some roadside signs - I kept it going for months and months resulting in ever increasing threatening letters - I eventually pointed out the section in law that allowed the signs and the letters just stopped overnight..

I think you are overreacting a little. I'm sure that simply showing the marina owner your licence would resolve any local issue.

Personally, were it me in your position, I would contact the local enforcement officer and ask them to visit my boat to view the licence and take the necessary action to update the CRT records.

Edited to add the following link to the VRT boat checker. Simply enter your boats number to see if CRT have it recorded as being licenced.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/licensing/boat-check

Edited by Meggers

Is that not very easy to disprove ?

I had something similar with our local council who decided I did not have Planning Permission for some roadside signs - I kept it going for months and months resulting in ever increasing threatening letters - I eventually pointed out the section in law that allowed the signs and the letters just stopped overnight..

I once had a friend who rented a garage with an electicity supply which he never used, it was not on a rental but a opay as ou use it basis. One day he hot a demand for £0.00 which he ignored, thinking it was just a mistake. He got several reminders and eventualy a court summons. I tried to peersuade him to go to Court and enjoy theri wriggling whilst we all sat bemused in te gallery, but he chckened out and phoned them/

I don't think he ever got an apology, just letter stating that the court action had been dropped, with some sort of threat that if he fails to pay again in the future he would be prosecuted.

But even better than that I used to manage a small building which was used by the Church Youth Club to store stuff. but building was demolished to make way for Sheltered accomodation. A couple of years later I moved away from London but then, one day, my mother received a letter from the Electricity Board demanding the overdue annual supply rental. She phoned them and "explained"

Following their unsuccessful attempt to have me abolished they sent me two Licences to replace the one they had revoked . . . . you're very welcome to have one them.

RLWP, on 19 Jan 2015 - 12:46 PM, said:

Could you produce the receipt?

Richard

Good point.

(But - actually I don't recall ever having had a receipt for payment of an electricity bill)

My only proof I have paid is on the bank statement- if the bank statement shows "nothing paid" to XYZ Electricity then that is the amount I have paid them.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I can understand why the OP was upset by this mistake. The tone of the letters CRT send are rather threatening and for somebody who has always paid their way and been generally cooperative with BW/CRT to recieve such a communication is alarming.

CRT customer services need to have feedback on this , constructive and well thought out not an angry rant. The whole area of licensing and enforcement has become such an emotionally fraught and divisive area and some common sense needs to be applied to the problem by both CRT and it's customers.

I have recently had some of these letters, I moor on private water and don't need a licence unless I go out. I knew I wouldn't be able to use the boat much before March or April this year so phoned CRT at renewal time to let them know what was happening. Sadly the person in the office didn't input stuff correctly or something and I got "the letter" .

I phoned to sort it all out. Easily sorted by phone . However reading this thread I think I'd better apply now for a licence to start on the first of April.

Good point.

(But - actually I don't recall ever having had a receipt for payment of an electricity bill)

My only proof I have paid is on the bank statement- if the bank statement shows "nothing paid" to XYZ Electricity then that is the amount I have paid them.

Ah this was all back in the days before computer banking, so bills were payed either by cheque, postal order or cash.and you always got a reciept.

Would all members be aware that I licensed my boat and got the license dated 10/12/14. To day I have received a "demand", some would say with menaces, dated 14/1/15 requiring me to renew my license.

A phone call to CaRT was highly unsatisfactory because the call handler refused to tell me the current license status of my boat or anything about reminders until I had told her the details. This mean I have no way of knowing for sure what the CaRT system says about my license. She volunteered the information that the computer some times has glitches.

Is this the latest CaRT wheeze. Send enough reminders out and a few will license again?

Tony

We had a similar experience. I renewed online, the money left our bank on 28/11/14 for our licence expiring on 31/12/14.

The licence hadn't arrived by 28/12/14, so I gave them a ring. The woman I spoke to apologised and said the licence would be issued soon. Still not arrived by 10/01/15, so I email customer services. The reply said that yes they had our money, but it hadn't been allocated to our account. The licence would be issued shortly. On 15/01/15 we received a demand for the full amount without the early payment discount. I rang again and gave them the whole story. More apologies, the licence arrived on 18th Jan!!

Steve

Following their unsuccessful attempt to have me abolished they sent me two Licences to replace the one they had revoked . . . . you're very welcome to have one them.

Do you imagine they will leave him alone, if he accepts one!

I suspect that the 'system' is all automatic, where it breaks down is when the payment received is not input correctly, after that the computer program takes over.

So reminders, threatening letters are only ever seen by the recipient, they are printed, placed in envelopes by robots, mechanical not human.

Our dentist sends appointment reminders (text to phone) but admits they may not arrive as it is all done automatically.