Looking for a small 'throttle' spring for Sculptor

Leo No2

Featured Posts

We have found that the spring that holds the lever into the ratchet arrangement on Sculptor is broken. It is quite a light spring and I understand may be termed a 'shaft spring'. Sculptor doesn't have a speedwheel arrangement but rather a lever that pulls a cable (I'll post a picture shortly) and has a pawl that locates in a ratchet arrangement (sorry not very good at describing this); the image, when I post it will tell a much better story! We are looking to see if anyone may have one we can purchase or or can direct us to a supplier of such a spring. Many thanks in advance.

ETA: Image posted.

15688134503_7bf55de4d3_z.jpg

Edited by Leo No2

I've driven boats with those controls, with no spring, just needs a bit of practice having a finger ready to push the pawl into engagement ;)

I don't know about a supplier, they don't ususally come in spring assortments. It's possible to make your own springs from Piano Wire (available in model shops).

There are probably instructions online somewhere as to how.

Tim

Check out motorists stores for small springs, it may be you will not find a perfect fit, but something close enough would allow some adaptation. Were I within striking distance I would probably be able to supply and make fit something from my odds box. Really not hard. Only need be a few flat coils with hooks made to locate on the lever and the pawl.

Another quick fix would be to take an elastic band and loop one end over the cable anchor at the back, and the other end over the protruding pin on the pawl.

Try Screwfix or Machine Mart.

They both sell plastic boxes containing 100s of different springs for a few quid.

There's bound to be something there that with a pair of long nosed pliers and wire cutters you could cobble up.

Sadly The Harland and Wolff spares counter at Woolwich closes early on a Sunday.

We have found that the spring that holds the lever into the ratchet arrangement on Sculptor is broken. It is quite a light spring and I understand may be termed a 'shaft spring'. Sculptor doesn't have a speedwheel arrangement but rather a lever that pulls a cable (I'll post a picture shortly) and has a pawl that locates in a ratchet arrangement (sorry not very good at describing this); the image, when I post it will tell a much better story! We are looking to see if anyone may have one we can purchase or or can direct us to a supplier of such a spring. Many thanks in advance.

Have you looked on e bay for "spring". 1000s of choices come up and you may find what you need. I have, on several occasions.

George nb Alton retired

ETA: Image posted.

15688134503_7bf55de4d3_z.jpg

That's the same type of control that 'Hyperion' and most of the Northern fleet motors had for the Armstrongs, and they work better without a spring once you've got used to keeping your thumb on the pawl as you push the lever forward. To shut down all you then need do is push the lever again without your thumb pressing on the pawl, the slightest forward movement causing it to disengage and allowing the lever to return to the closed position. It needs a bit of practice, but you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to it.

That's the same type of control that 'Hyperion' and most of the Northern fleet motors had for the Armstrongs, and they work better without a spring once you've got used to keeping your thumb on the pawl as you push the lever forward. To shut down all you then need do is push the lever again without your thumb pressing on the pawl, the slightest forward movement causing it to disengage and allowing the lever to return to the closed position. It needs a bit of practice, but you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to it.

That's almost certainly because the Armstrongs were supplied with that type of control, bolted to the flywheel housing. Whether it was an Armstrong part or a Parsons one I don't know, quite possible that Parsons supplied a second control for remote operation, but some Armstrongs for industrial use came with a simpler 2-speed version - tickover or full speed.

Tim

Sadly The Harland and Wolff spares counter at Woolwich closes early on a Sunday.

Ahem!

It's the spares counter at W J Yarwood and Sons at Northwich you need for "Sculptor".

(A bit upmarket of an H&W boat!)

I thought we'd established in a previous thread that the quadrant throttle control was an original fitting on GU boats but as they were presumably not up to the robust use by some boatmen they were gradually replaced by rod and wheel.

Paul

I thought we'd established in a previous thread that the quadrant throttle control was an original fitting on GU boats but as they were presumably not up to the robust use by some boatmen they were gradually replaced by rod and wheel.

Paul

That was mooted, not sure it was established though.

Personally I don't like those controls because they are too coarse, your optimum speed in a restricted channel will always fall between two notches!

Tim

I have a box of assorted springs which might do - if I interpret the photo correctly.

IE a tension spring with loops at each end ?

If you can give me some rough dimensions I'll see what I can find.

Bless you. I think the two parts of the old spring are in the ticket drawer - I'll pop out in the morning - (Sculptor is moored about 50m from my front door) and take a photo and some dimensions and post them here.

Mmm that style is not what I ahve a box of.#

However a brake shoe retaining spring off one my 1960s BMC cars might possibly be modified.

http://www.minispares.com/shop/classic/image.axd?type=product&picture=170/27H3753.jpg

These are about the size you want.

Let me know - pm me your snail mail address and I'll send one.

Edited by jake_crew

Whenever I want to replace an obscure spring I go to Lee Spring UK (web site here). The page on their site I've directed you to is for "torsion" springs which looks like the type you need, ie it mounts on the pawl pivot screw and its "arms" keep the pawl rotated in the direction that keeps it in contact with the ratchet teeth.

If you fill in all the parameters in the forms on their site you will be directed to the right spring spec or one close to it. I've bought all sorts of springs from them eg to keep our household cooker going, replace the clutch springs in a Stuart Turner marine engine etc to name but a few!

As you have the bits of the old spring, that should help with choosing the parameters.

Richard

Whenever I want to replace an obscure spring I go to Lee Spring UK (web site here). The page on their site I've directed you to is for "torsion" springs which looks like the type you need, ie it mounts on the pawl pivot screw and its "arms" keep the pawl rotated in the direction that keeps it in contact with the ratchet teeth.

If you fill in all the parameters in the forms on their site you will be directed to the right spring spec or one close to it. I've bought all sorts of springs from them eg to keep our household cooker going, replace the clutch springs in a Stuart Turner marine engine etc to name but a few!

As you have the bits of the old spring, that should help with choosing the parameters.

Richard

Thank you Richard. I'll ask one of the more technical gentlemen in the Sculptor crew to take a look.