Kedian Engineering Overplating [pics]

Featured Posts

Not aware of your welding capabilities Black rose,but, assuming you have Fabrication skills,you must concur that M.R. Kedians work is exemplary?

Nice to see a tidy and obviously meticulous repair such as this one.

CT

You know what they say CT, "Never assume". I have no welding skills so I couldn't possibly comment on the quality of the work. I know how things go on this forum. I thought that picture of MIG welding on one of the other threads looked fine until everyone else posted and said it was shite! laugh.png

But isn't the quality of welding dependent on weld penetration and other factors? I didn't realise it was possible to evaluate this from a couple of pictures, or is this another assumption?

Anyway, I'm sure Kedian's work is very good, but I really don't have the expertise to judge it.

Edited by blackrose

The stop and starts ate to minimise the heat transfer on the inside of the boat which is fitted out l fully understand you thoughts as they are consistent with the length of a run using a welding rod

To answer the previous question we use three phase electric to mig weld single phase is possible but for some jobs is under powered I use 200 amps many small mig sets struggle to run at this

Hope that helps Martin

Thanks for that as I thought, 3 phase oh we'll I'll keep with stick for a while.

Regards kris

I used a 200A single phase MIG set for a long time, now have a 250A, also single phase (that is quite a rare beast, though, and needs a 32A supply), but haven't used it for a couple of years.

Stick welding is often regarded as better for repairs to old boats, partly because MIG demands greater cleanliness than stick.

Also if a stick weld looks good, even to the untrained eye, it probably is reasonably strong. The same can't be said of MIG, though.

Tim

As Starcoaster observed once, stick welding is called stick welding because the stick constantly sticks to the workpiece.

I decided not to point out this only happens when she is welding, not me, as I didn't want to get my face welded.

biggrin.png

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

When I first started welding there was no such thing as pre fluxed welding rod's we usen to cut lengths of round mild steel bar and paint flux on it they stuck very easily

You must be very old then wink.png

Edit - from http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/welding-history/

"Approximately 1900, Strohmenger introduced a coated metal electrode in Great Britain. There was a thin coating of clay or lime, but it provided a more stable arc. Oscar Kjellberg of Sweden invented a covered or coated electrode during the period of 1907 to 1914. Stick electrodes were produced by dipping short lengths of bare iron wire in thick mixtures of carbonates and silicates, and allowing the coating to dry."

"During the 1920s, various types of welding electrodes were developed. There was considerable controversy during the 1920s about the advantage of the heavy-coated rods versus light-coated rods. The heavy-coated electrodes, which were made by extruding, were developed by Langstroth and Wunder of the A.O. Smith Company and were used by that company in 1927. In 1929, Lincoln Electric Company produced extruded electrode rods that were sold to the public. By 1930, covered electrodes were widely used. Welding codes appeared which required higher-quality weld metal, which increased the use of covered electrodes."

I had a coded welder working for me for a couple of years, he said part of their initial training was welding with bare rods, on the basis that if you could master that you'd have no problem with fluxed rods.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Back in my student days my uncle got a mate of his to weld a new front wing to my mini. I was amazed to see him use six inch nails. I was even more amazed when i tried welding bodywork for myself using a mig welder. How he could stick weld without burning holes I will never know.

All apprentices were required to start this way my reference to no such thing was that we weren't able to have them untill we had mastered the use of welding with bare wire my Forman was mean

But it was him, who made you the skilled man you are now.

Bod

It's an interesting thread this.

I suspect there's probably quite a few members of CWDF who would like to learn how to weld. I know people who would teach me to stick weld but they say you do need to practice a lot and frankly I don't know if I have time and whether it would be worth it, long term.

I have 3 phase electricity at home and I wonder if for someone like me just getting a MIG welder might be a more practical method, assuming the cost isn't an issue, which it probably is...