Local Authority planning policy and boating

Machpoint005

Featured Posts

This may be relevant to at least three recent threads, and not just in areas containing bits of the Shroppie.

I've just happened across the following which is from the Crewe and Nantwich Replacement Local Plan 2011:

RT.8 PROMOTION OF CANALS AND WATERWAYS
DEVELOPMENT PROPOSALS WHICH WILL ENHANCE THE USE OF THE CANALS AND WATERWAYS FOR RECREATION, LEISURE AND TOURIST USES WILL BE PERMITTED PROVIDED THAT THERE IS NO ADVERSE IMPACT ON THE SURROUNDING ENVIRONMENT AND THAT THE CAPACITY OF THE WATERWAY FOR BOATING USE IS NOT ADVERSELY AFFECTED.

Crewe and Nantwich Council no longer exists (It's part of Cheshire East now) but its policies are still in use and will stay that way until the full Development Plan is published (if it ever happens). Now this isn't a rant against local government, but it does occur to me to wonder if "PROVIDED THAT THERE IS NO ADVERSE IMPACT ON ... THE CAPACITY OF THE WATERWAY FOR BOATING USE IS NOT ADVERSELY AFFECTED" covers the situation where new houses have canal towpath frontage, but the residents don't want boats mooring there?

It seem to me that a mooring prohibition is one way of adversely impacting boating capacity, in the broad sense, which would perhaps make such a prohibition illegal?

I'm a chartered and practicing Town Planner (that's one who hasn't got it right yet ;) )

I wouldn't see that policy being targetted at housing at all. It is for development related to the leisure use of the waterway. i suppose a developer might argue that housing should be allowed on the basis that, being canalside it offers enhanced opportunity for the residents to enjoy the waterway but that is pushing it a bit.

What it would offer protection from is a leisure use that would inhibit boating, and whilst it isn't well worded I do wonder if it is intended to restrict the number of marina developments in the area as more boats would result in congestion. I believe at least one in the Crewe and Nantwich area has been turned recently.

So - by implication, whilst they may support 'leisure & recreational use" there is nothing in their Planning strategies to support Residential boat users or residential moorings ?

You can't determine that off reading just one policy

So - by implication, whilst they may support 'leisure & recreational use" there is nothing in their Planning strategies to support Residential boat users or residential moorings ?

Nothing I've seen, but Magpie Patrick is quite correct. I'm pretty sure a large number of councils have policies that are just as confused and piecemeal as Cheshire East!

As a practicing Town Planner too, I thought I'd copy and paste some of the canal related policies which we work too, for your interested perusal.

Canal Frontages

g. Residential moorings must be designed in conjunction
with other adopted strategic and Council policy contained in
the Black Country Core Strategy and the Site Allocations and
Delivery Document.

h. It will be considered unacceptable for development proposals
to ignore canal frontages by orientating new build to turn their
backs on to them. New developments must be designed to
interact with the canal by providing access and views to it.
Windows must be placed within the canal side elevation
of buildings to allow surveillance of the canal environment.

i. New canal side buildings must reflect the scale, form and
composition of existing canal side development where
appropriate.

j. Materials used for canal side housing developments must reflect
traditional design codes in terms of colour, texture and pattern.

k. Existing canal side buildings should be reused where at all possible.

l. Continuous building lines that close off spaces or visual links
onto the canal side must be avoided, to ensure that the canal
frontage is opened up to the wider housing layout and natural
surveillance is assisted.
Respect the established character
of streets when designing infill
development.

m. Given the extent of the canal network in
Sandwell, new development proposals need to
embrace both the waterside opportunity and the
potential to raise development values by integrating
canal frontages into design layouts.

The Black Country canal network comprises the canals and their surrounding
landscape corridors, designated and undesignated historic assets, character, settings,
views and interrelationships.
The canal network can provide a focus for future development through the potential
to provide a high quality environment and accessibility. All development proposals
likely to affect the canal network must:
• safeguard the operation of a navigable and functional waterway;
• protect and enhance its special historic, architectural, archaeological and cultural
interest (including potential to record, preserve and restore such features);
• protect and enhance its nature conservation value;
• protect and enhance its visual amenity;
• protect and enhance water quality in the canal.
142 143
Where opportunities exist, all development proposals within the canal network must:
• enhance and promote its leisure, recreation and tourism value;
• improve and promote walking, cycling and boating access, including for freight;
• promote beneficial and multifunctional use of the canal network.
Such development proposals must be fully supported by evidence that the above
factors have been fully considered and properly incorporated into their design
and layout.
Where proposed development overlays part of the extensive network of disused
canal features, the potential to record, preserve and restore such features must be
fully explored. Development will not be permitted which would sever the route of a
disused canal or prevent the restoration of a canal link where there is a realistic
possibility of restoration, wholly or in part.

Justification
6.16 The development of the Black Country’s canal network had a decisive impact on the evolution
of industry and settlement during the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. It was a major feat of
engineering and illustrates a significant stage in human history - development of mercantile
inland transport systems in Britain’s industrial revolution during the pre-railway age. As such,
the Black Country recognises the aspiration for World Heritage Site status for the Black Country
canal network, and the preparation of a Canal Management Plan. Although the pursuit of a bid
for inclusion of the Black Country canal network on the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites is a
longer term aspiration, the outstanding universal values of the Black Country’s canal network
today should still be acknowledged, promoted, protected and enhanced.
6.17 The canal network is a major unifying characteristic of the Black Country’s historic landscape.
The routes of the canals that make up the network have created landscape corridors with
distinctive character and identity based on the industries and activities that these transport
routes served and encouraged. The network also has significant value for nature conservation,
tourism and recreation and potential to make an important contribution to economic
regeneration through the provision of high quality environments for new developments and a
network of pedestrian, cycle and water transport routes.
6.18 It is also important for development in the Black Country to take account of disused canal
features, both above and below ground. Only 54% of the historic canal network has survived
in use to the present day and a network of tramways also served the canals. In particular,
proposals should consider the potential for the restoration of disused sections of canal.
6.19 Proposals to restore the disused Hatherton Branch Canal are well established. This scheme is
largely outside the Black Country but would link the Wyrley and Essington Canal in Pelsall with
the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal west of Cannock. This scheme is supported as an
important strategic addition to the region’s canal network.
6.20 Although it is clear from the West Midlands Canal Freight Study that economic conditions are
not right at the moment for the transport of bulk goods and recyclable material on the canal
network in the Black Country, it is important for the navigation to be maintained and improved
to facilitate such developments when conditions are more favourable.
Primary Evidence
The Representation of Canals in the Black Country Historic Landscape Characterisation: An
Analysis of Change in the Landscape, Black Country Archaeology Service (2009)
Developing Waterside Investment Opportunities in the Black Country Urban Park, GHK (2009)
Birmingham and Wolverhampton Canal Freight Feasiblility Study, West Midlands Canal Forum
(2009)

Edited by Dave_P

Thanks Dave - very interesting. I presume it's much the same with other West Midlands local authorities.

It varies a little. Some of this was pasted from the Black Country Core Strategy which is shared between Wolverhampton, Dudley, Walsall and Sandwell. Some of it is from the Sandwell Residential Design Guide. (Both available to view online). Different council's will have different adopted plans and policies which need to be approved by the planning inspectorate in a public examination. Once they are approved, they form the basis for the approval or refusal of planning applications. Where councils have weak plans, or their plans are not up to date, developers are then able to force through their developments. This has become more common where cash strapped councils have had to shed staff and have therefore fallen behind in keeping their plans updated.

Clear as mud?

I do worry about getting the Black Country's canals on the World Heritage list, as they are not typical of the British canal system as a whole, nor were they as important to world history as the only other similar group of UK canals, those serving the textile industry in Manchester. That is not to say that they are unimportant, but rather that they are vital in telling the local story of the Black Country, but that it is a local or regional story. I wonder how they will show international importance, though that is not the only criteria.

On planning and canals, I do like the attitude of the authorities in Yangzhou, China, where they have planning regulations to conserve the Slender West Lake, one of the earliest of China's canals. Today it runs through a city centre park area, which the planners are very keen to conserve as an area of beauty. Should a developer want to build in the area around the Lake, they have to fly a balloon at the same height as their proposed building. Anyone seeing the balloon from the Lake area can then complain and planning permission is turned down. A simple but effective way of conserving the Lake' environment.

I do worry about getting the Black Country's canals on the World Heritage list, as they are not typical of the British canal system as a whole, nor were they as important to world history as the only other similar group of UK canals, those serving the textile industry in Manchester. That is not to say that they are unimportant, but rather that they are vital in telling the local story of the Black Country, but that it is a local or regional story. I wonder how they will show international importance, though that is not the only criteria.

Are you misunderstanding what it means to be a World Heritage site? It's not an either/or situation so the manchester canals could go for listing too. I would dispute your arguments about which is more important also. As far as importance to world history goes how would you explain the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct? The answer is that it's inclusion was based on different grounds. Various parts of our canal network fall within World Heritage sites, including Llangollen, Saltaire and Liverpool.

Sorry if this is heading off topic...

Clear as mud?

Yes, and absolutely typical.

Cash-strapped councils falling behind, policies that quote obsolete guidance, and web sites with circular links. Tempting to blame local government, but we know better.

Sorry if this is heading off topic...

No problem to the OP! Interesting discussion.

• Greenie 1

I just feel the World Heritage status has become a political football. Yes there are a variety of reasons for having such status, but increasing the number does make the designation less valuable. Even now it doesn't ensure any funding, and Pontcysyllte just confirms my views.

I just feel the World Heritage status has become a political football. Yes there are a variety of reasons for having such status, but increasing the number does make the designation less valuable. Even now it doesn't ensure any funding, and Pontcysyllte just confirms my views.

I'm not sure the main purpose has ever been funding. Surely, its more to do with protection?

You are quite right, of course, in the planning sense (preventing someone from destroying the asset) but protecting something can be quite difficult without somebody paying for its maintenance.

That's the problem, in that politicians like the idea and publicity potential of a world heritage site, but they don't like paying for the sort of upkeep and interpretation that WHS implies and needs.