Droitwich - Worcester this Saturday (17 Jan)

She25

Featured Posts

I'll be taking my boat down for blacking at Diglis basin on Saturday and just wondered if anybody fancies braving the cold (although meant to be dry until 3pm) and helping out with the locks?

I have at least one person to help, but think the other one may cancel on me so if you're nearby and fancy it, do let me know! There will be plenty of tea, coffee and home made spag bol available :)

Hi Sea Dog

I'll be going on the nice B&W and avoiding any river adventures at this time of year! Reason I ask though is, as a newbie I know I won't be as fast as somebody more experienced and with limited daylight etc could do with a hand :)

as a newbie I know I won't be as fast as somebody more experienced and with limited daylight etc could do with a hand smile.png

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs but, since you say that, if you're coming up from Droitwich town to Hanbury you are aware of the height retriction under the M5 aren't you? The already quite limited clearance changes with the flow in the River Salwarpe and there are Red Yellow Green navigation boards at the locks and a depth gauge by the M5 culvert to refer to. Also, the Hanbury flight is unusual. You empty half into the side pound then the other half through the bottom paddles and fill half from the side pound and then top up through the top paddles. Much of the year there are volunteers to help, but it's unlikely they'll be there now. They were there in force just before Christmas though, so you never know your luck!

I'm not there at the moment so I can only offer moral support from afar I'm afraid. To be honest, I'd take 2 days, particularly at this time of year. Dunhampstead or Tibberton would be my overnight choices. Should you press on, once you reach Worcester Warriors, it might be best to put a little more distance in before you moor up!

You may know all this already, but a little local knowledge can sometimes help. Best wishes.

SeaDog , local knowledge, the River Salwarpe does not affect the level under the motorway, it is a culvert for Body Brook. The River Salwarpe is joined at Lock 7 after the bridge. Also from Netherwich Basin to Dunhampstead is about 3.5 hours max and the entire Mid Worcestershire Ring is an easy 2 day cruise even for someone new to boating with a lunch stop at The Camp House included.

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs but, since you say that, if you're coming up from Droitwich town to Hanbury you are aware of the height retriction under the M5 aren't you?

The OP just said from Droitwich, no mention of the town centre. If she's in the marina she is already the right side of the M5 bridge.

SeaDog , local knowledge, the River Salwarpe does not affect the level under the motorway, it is a culvert for Body Brook. The River Salwarpe is joined at Lock 7 after the bridge. Also from Netherwich Basin to Dunhampstead is about 3.5 hours max and the entire Mid Worcestershire Ring is an easy 2 day cruise even for someone new to boating with a lunch stop at The Camp House included.

Yeah, I know, but the Salwarpe does affect the navigation towards the culvert from the town and if that's tanking through it's pretty likely that the brook will be high too. Neither did I mention the corrugated wotsit by the rugby club, but if she's managed the M5 then she'll be ok there - I was just trying to keep it simple. She also said "as a newbie I know I won't be as fast as somebody more experienced and with limited daylight etc could do with a hand" so that does suggest she's not gonna be breaking any records in the present weather conditions on short winter days. And we wouldn't advise someone new to boating to do that ring in 2 days at this time of year, would we?

The OP just said from Droitwich, no mention of the town centre. If she's in the marina she is already the right side of the M5 bridge.

I saw that too, which is why I said "IF you're coming from the town".

Throw me a bone here guys - the lady did say she was a newbie and no-one else had pointed out the navigational issues which she could well be about to face and which may well prove to be show stoppers in the case of the M5 culvert. I was just trying to help, but I'll happily delete the post if you really think it's so unhelpful.help.gif

Aw thanks for the concern Sea Dog. But no, I'm coming from the marina so no need to duck the M5. Don't fancy that!

Also I've had a very kind offer of help so fingers crossed it'll all be good :)

Edited by She25

I'll be taking my boat down for blacking at Diglis basin on Saturday and just wondered if anybody fancies braving the cold (although meant to be dry until 3pm) and helping out with the locks?

I have at least one person to help, but think the other one may cancel on me so if you're nearby and fancy it, do let me know! There will be plenty of tea, coffee and home made spag bol available smile.png

You won't get down the Severn this weekend. Water levels are much too high.

If of any use I can spare an hour or so Sat morn to help with Offerton flight. No spag Bol necessary but tea is always good.

AndyEd, sorry I've only just seen your post. Thanks for the offer but now have a team of 4 at the ready so hopefully we'll be making good time.

She25 - glad your sorted you will certainly make good time.

And we wouldn't advise someone new to boating to do that ring in 2 days at this time of year, would we?

If asked, I wouldn't advise anyone to do it in 2 days at anytime of year. I have met people (albeit briefly) who have flogged round the Avon Ring in 7 days and fail to see where the enjoyment is in cruising 10 to 12 hours a day and seeing nothing of the towns and Cities they pass through, but it's each to their own.

The advice you gave was with good intention but to someone who is possibly anxious about a trip I could only see it making them even more anxious about all the hurdles they may face. Unless someone asks I would say the best way is to let them find out for themselves like most of us prefer to do.

Apologies if you don't like my point of view as I would not want to offend.

Andy.